• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elderly in Hong Kong struggle to make ends meet

danieldemol

Premium Member

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in the US there was an article recently about how jobs normally occupied with teens are being replaced by older people as social welfare and the ability to hold onto savings shrinks

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
China being so authoritarian, and Australia being more democratic, it seems that working for so long is a product of a lousy government.

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
Here in the US there was an article recently about how jobs normally occupied with teens are being replaced by older people as social welfare and the ability to hold onto savings shrinks

That may be true for here, but Australia actually prides itself for having the best social wellfare in the world. I don't believe we will be seeing very many working elderly there.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently Hong Kong has one of the longest life expectancies in the world, yet some of the elderly are working into their nineties to make ends meet.

From the story here Hong Kong's ageing population struggling to make ends meet - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Do you think this is a problem that a country like Australia could eventually face due to an ageing population or do you think it is because of a lousy government that they are forced to work for so long?
If people are living longer it will take capitalist systems a while to adapt. The issue is too complex to blame on the government alone, particularly on such a small island. You have to take lots of things into account to find out who is to blame, and blame does not provide resources. I notice the article does not cite even one interview from one of these aged workers.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That may be true for here, but Australia actually prides itself for having the best social wellfare in the world. I don't believe we will be seeing very many working elderly there.
Yeah and with cost cutting to those social welfare programs, upping the retirement age and even talks about cutting the pension in favour of another system, there are people who are at least wary for the future. Never underestimate the greed of the government. No matter where you look.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you do an internet search on unfunded pension liabilities you'll find that it's a problem in many places and in both government and business to one degree or another.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I see that in my own area. I personally don't expect to retire.

Jumi

China being so authoritarian, and Australia being more democratic, it seems that working for so long is a product of a lousy government.
HK is quite a bit different from China, since they're semi-autonomous.