• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

El Shaddai

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OK, OK, maybe they should be left in Hebrew untranslated.

Or just ignore me. :p

firedragon

Veteran Member
El Shaddai is a term whose occurrence is rare in the original Hebrew version of the Old Testament (I use as reference the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia).
Rare compared to YHWH: we find it in Genesis 17:1 and in Genesis 35:11.

Many Catholic philologists admit its real meaning is very uncertain and debated. Comparing the roots of other Semitic language it probably means the Lord of the Mountain. Or the Lord of the brushlands (considering that back then the Negev was still brushlands, it is quite preferable this last).

The Septuagint translates El Shaddai with o Theòs o Pantòkrator (Παντοκράτωρ)
A very wrong translation, because the term God Almighty (which is the perfect translation of Deus Omnipotens in the Vulgate), indicates that God can do anything, is all-powerful. Both in Latin and in English.
Pantokràtor, on the contrary, literally means " that rules over everything". The root krat- has nothing to do with divine powers but with ruling, governing etc.
The term "Almighty" in Greek can be translated with the word "Pandynatòs" or "Pantodynatòs" because the verb δύναμαι (hence δυνατός = powerful) is the exact translation of the English "to be able to" or "can".

So what do you guys think?
El Shaddai, the original term had nothing to do with Omnipotence. A theological concept I can't even find in the Greek Bible.

In your scholarship, what is the translation of Ho Theos into Hebrew?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In your scholarship, what is the translation of Ho Theos into Hebrew?

It depends...
In the Septuagint the Genesis starts with "En archì epoiesin 'o Theòs...etc etc
And in the Hebrew Bible the Genesis is "bereśit barà Elohim" etc etc.
So according to the Septuagint, 'o Theòs= Elohim.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Lord, mainly.

I meant the meaning brother. Not what it represents. If what a word represents is the whole foundation of a thesis, then the OP is not considering what it represents but is going to the meaning of the word.

Hope you understand the query.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I meant the meaning brother. Not what it represents. If what a word represents is the whole foundation of a thesis, then the OP is not considering what it represents but is going to the meaning of the word.

Hope you understand the query.
May I know if you studied Greek or Latin, first?

firedragon

Veteran Member
It depends...
In the Septuagint the Genesis starts with "En archì epoiesin 'o Theòs...etc etc
And in the Hebrew Bible the Genesia is "bereśit barà Elohim" etc etc.
So according to the Septuagint, 'o Theòs= Elohim.

Again, you are giving what it represents. I asked for direct translation. Not what it represents.

Theos is not equivalent to Elohim in meaning.

firedragon

Veteran Member
May I know if you studied Greek or Latin, first?

Not relevant. And if you think I am arguing with you you are wrong. And asking me what I have studied is not relevant. If that is your answer to a question, there is no point going any further.

If you have not pondered over the questions I asked, ponder over it. If you know something, teach me. Dont ask me if I have studied Greek or Latin. I didnt even ask anything in Latin. So this completely irrelevant.

Cheers.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In Excursus 11 of the JPS Commentary: Genesis, Nahum Sarna makes a couple of interesting observations:
  • The divine name appears nine times in the Torah, of which three are in poetic texts (Gen. 49:25; Num. 24:4,16). All but two of the Bible's other thirty-nine usages are likewise poetic (Prophets, Psalms, and Job). The prose exceptions (Ruth 1:20-21) are more apparent than real since the Book of Ruth possesses a poetic substratum and frequently displays archaisms. These statistics have an important bearing on the question of the antiquity of usage. The overwhelming appearance in poetic contexts points a priori to a venerable tradition, for Hebrew poetry tends to preserve or consciously to employ early forms of speech.
  • Significantly, of the vast store of biblical personal names, only three are constructed with the element Shaddai. These are Shedeur (=? Shaddai-Ur), Zurishaddai, and Ammishaddai - all appearing solely in the lists of Numbers 1-2. Each is the father of a tribal representative at the time of the Exodus.
He concludes:

In other words, the divine name Shaddai lost its vitality in Israel with the advent of Moses and was preserved only as a literary relic in poetic compositions. ... The great antiquity of the name and its obsolescence in Israel in the Mosaic period explain why there are no consistent traditions as to its meaning and why the ancient versions have no uniform rendering.​

We seem to be left with more or less informed conjecture ...

^ and this is one of the things that makes Torah so interesting. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Not relevant. And if you think I am arguing with you you are wrong. And asking me what I have studied is not relevant. If that is your answer to a question, there is no point going any further.

If you have not pondered over the questions I asked, ponder over it. If you know something, teach me. Dont ask me if I have studied Greek or Latin. I didnt even ask anything in Latin. So this completely irrelevant.

Cheers.
My question is relevant because I can only answer you about Greek / Latin words.
For Hebrew words, ask people here who know Hebrew.:)

firedragon

Veteran Member
In Excursus 11 of the JPS Commentary: Genesis, Nahum Sarna makes a couple of interesting observations:
  • The divine name appears nine times in the Torah, of which three are in poetic texts (Gen. 49:25; Num. 24:4,16). All but two of the Bible's other thirty-nine usages are likewise poetic (Prophets, Psalms, and Job). The prose exceptions (Ruth 1:20-21) are more apparent than real since the Book of Ruth possesses a poetic substratum and frequently displays archaisms. These statistics have an important bearing on the question of the antiquity of usage. The overwhelming appearance in poetic contexts points a priori to a venerable tradition, for Hebrew poetry tends to preserve or consciously to employ early forms of speech.
  • Significantly, of the vast store of biblical personal names, only three are constructed with the element Shaddai. These are Shedeur (=? Shaddai-Ur), Zurishaddai, and Ammishaddai - all appearing solely in the lists of Numbers 1-2. Each is the father of a tribal representative at the time of the Exodus.
He concludes:

In other words, the divine name Shaddai lost its vitality in Israel with the advent of Moses and was preserved only as a literary relic in poetic compositions. ... The great antiquity of the name and its obsolescence in Israel in the Mosaic period explain why there are no consistent traditions as to its meaning and why the ancient versions have no uniform rendering.​

We seem to be left with more or less informed conjecture ...

^ and this is one of the things that makes Torah so interesting. :)

Awesome.

firedragon

Veteran Member
My question is relevant because I can only answer you about Greek / Latin words.
For Hebrew words, ask people here who know Hebrew.:)

Alright. Brother, in Hebrew, El means power or might. Elohim means powers or the plural of might. El Shaddai has El which in its root means "power" which you have not considered. Thus, this mountain matter has been addressed by the meaning of El, which is "power". I understand that El is directly represented by Ho Theos, but Theos means divinity, El means Power. The root meanings are different. In your analysis I would urge that you include this part rather than dismissing it as Elohim is represented by Ho Theos in the septuagint.

Mind you I am no expert in Hebrew and the Jewish brothers here can of course correct me and anyone else since there are some pretty scholarly Jews here. I dont mean this in any derogatory manner but Jews are generally far more educated in their scripture than any other average person.

So lets hear what they have to say.

Bottomline is though El or Elohim is directly represents the word God, or Ho Theos, there is a root meaning to the word. And that itself represents "power" or "might". Every single combination of words that represents God or even another persons God in the Hebrew Bible with the word El in it represents power. This is one of the reasons El Shaddai though some scholars like McKim would translate it as God, the one of the mountains, this word God here is actually meaning "Power". So does El Elyon and Elohim.

I honestly dont know how Ho Theos is translated into Hebrew because these two are very different languages. The Arabic word Allah is a direct translation of the Ho Theos exactly. Theos means iLah or Aluhia in arabic. But I dont know the Hebrew direct translation of the meaning of Ho Theos.

Anyway, my belief is that the Greek language is superimposed into a Hebrew text and it misrepresents the original meaning. You are right. But when you go to roots, go to the roots of everything.

Ho Theos as I understand can be directly translated in to Aramaic as Alaha and I can relate to that closely.

Cheers.