1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

El Chapo's wife pleads guilty to helping run drug cartel

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stevicus, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,064
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    'El Chapo's' wife pleads guilty to helping run drug cartel (nbcnews.com)

She was arrested in February at Dulles International Airport and has been in jail since.

I wonder about this claim that Guzman was Mexico's "most powerful drug lord." How do they measure that? As he's currently incarcerated, it doesn't seem he could be as powerful as the drug lords who are still walking around free.

That's a lot of drugs. I had no idea there was still such a demand for cocaine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +14,885
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I think drugs are more a part of Mexican culture and tradition. It's the export trade that's causing all the problems, violence, and crimes.

Keep it in Mexico.

Otherwise the authorities may have to do to El Chapo what was done to Escobar.

3. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,064
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It's also been a part of U.S. culture, especially with cocaine being called a "designer drug" and associated with rock stars, chic fashion models, and others among the so-called "jet set."

4. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,566
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    I haven't been following this too closely but I have to assume they worked out some plea agreement that she finds acceptable or she would not just willingly give a 'guilty' plea.

First thought is that she's going to be working for the U.S. government against drug trafficking. These details probably aren't officially released yet but only rumors. The really interesting stuff will never be officially given to the public.

My best guesses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +932
    Let's not forget rich people and Wall Street folks, the population least likely to be actually impacted by drug laws.

6. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,659
    I recall reading that once incarcerated that he had the prison guards painting his cell. Still got some leverage even behind bars it would appear.