• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egyptian and Jewish exodus what proof?

Flankerl

Flankeri sense most of Americana re Christian and Jewish, Google in Texas will of course side withChristainity and Jewish beliefs, it proves nothing

Congratulations, you totally don't get how the Google search algorithm works.

It has more to do with what you previously searched if you have a Google Account and are logged in.

Ok Flankerl I just looked and automatically came up with this man raised up Jewish he says the opposite of you. He says his Jewish beliefs taught him Jews helped build the Pyramids,

Don't see a link. And some Jew claiming stuff is of no concern. What is important is the predominant opinion of the Jewish world, not some loner.

I was taught that also in the Baptist church

Good for you. So you are one of those atheists who got an axe to grind.

He also says its not real

Good for him. Nothing in the world changed.

Not only that but I found WIki also agrees with me and there are more people on Google that disagree with you then I thought well well. Heres the first link.The Biblical Exodus Story Is Fiction | HuffPost

1. lol a blog from the HuffingtonPost.
2. "

Staks Rosch is a Philadelphia based writer and a vocal advocate for Humanism, atheism, and reason. He serves as the head of The Philadelphia Coalition of Reason (PhillyCoR) and writes the Dangerous Talk blog on the Skeptic Ink Network and is a freelance writer for Publishers Weekly. He has a Master's Degree in Philosophy from West Chester University and is a stay at home dad."

A Masters Degree in Philosophy. How cute.

Heres Wiki article that says its a myth.

The Exodus - Wikipedia

Still haven't found the Wiki page about Slavery in Ancient Egypt? Well keep at it. In due time...

Weird name for a person.

where Egyptians traveled through Caanan

The word you are looking for is "marched" not "travelled".
Or where they having a picnic with the Hittites?

rosends

I'm more interested in how they managed to stretch an 11 day walk into something that lasted for 40 years.That's even less believable than the Egyptians using slaves to build the Pyramids.
I recognize that this isn't on topic (and that your post might have been intended tongue in cheek) but they didn't stretch anything. The 40 years was as a punishment textually and since they followed where the pillar of smoke/fire told them to go and it was (if you believe the text) God's way of directing them and keeping them from getting to Canaan. Most of it wasn't walking, though. The Exodus Route: 22 Stops between Mount Sinai to Kadesh Barnea

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ok Flankerl I just looked and automatically came up with this man raised up Jewish he says the opposite of you. He says his Jewish beliefs taught him Jews helped build the Pyramids, I was taught that also in the Baptist church.He also says its not real. Not only that but I found WIki also agrees with me and there are more people on Google that disagree with you then I thought well well. Here's the first link.The Biblical Exodus Story Is Fiction | HuffPost

This is correct, but it is best not describe the validity of historical claims in any context as requiring 'proof.' History does not rely on 'proof' to justify academic support for historical validity of claims. Historical claims are always subject to change with new evidence, but it is extremely unlikely that any new sufficient archeaological evidence will come to light that will justify the validity of the Exodus Biblical account.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I recognize that this isn't on topic (and that your post might have been intended tongue in cheek) but they didn't stretch anything. The 40 years was as a punishment textually and since they followed where the pillar of smoke/fire told them to go and it was (if you believe the text) God's way of directing them and keeping them from getting to Canaan. Most of it wasn't walking, though. The Exodus Route: 22 Stops between Mount Sinai to Kadesh Barnea

True Biblically, but not historically nor archaelogically substantiated as an actual journey from Egypt lead by Moses ending with an invasion of Canaan.

rosends

True Biblically, but not historically nor archaelogically substantiated as an actual journey from Egypt lead by Moses ending with an invasion of Canaan.
In which case any quibbling over the length of time over a non-existent journey seems useless.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
An 11 day walk took 40 years? Obviously, none of the men stopped to ask for directions... ;)
Apparently it's mentioned in the bible that their god lead them on a round-about path because he was afraid of them fleeing back to Egypt when they found out how dangerous the world was. Also something about striking a rock and pissing off god.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'm more interested in how they managed to stretch an 11 day walk into something that lasted for 40 years.That's even less believable than the Egyptians using slaves to build the Pyramids.

40 years for a 11 days walk? A miracle! Such slowness defies the laws of nature.

Oh dear. I should have payed attention while reading the Bible when I was a believer. That would have saved me a lot of wasted time.

Ciao

- viole

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Worthy note of the parallel of the time frame of the Babylonian exile.

Final defeat and destruction of the temple and many Hebrews taken captive to Babylonia 586 BCE. The proclamation allowing their return was 538 BCE = 48 years.

Bob the Unbeliever

Apparently it's mentioned in the bible that their god lead them on a round-about path because he was afraid of them fleeing back to Egypt when they found out how dangerous the world was. Also something about striking a rock and pissing off god.

Ya know? If someone took that story, and made it into a TV show? But change the god character to the building's supervisor. And lock all the doors for some silly reason or other, put the elevator out of commission too.

Everyone watching would quickly come to recognize how much of an arsehole the 'Super' was being over the whole thing....

And the show would fail for poor ratings, as most folk would see it as pretty contrived, not very believable story line.

But Buffy The Vampire Slayer ran for 6 season... and there were how many movies about twinkly vampires again?

Riders

Ya know? If someone took that story, and made it into a TV show? But change the god character to the building's supervisor. And lock all the doors for some silly reason or other, put the elevator out of commission too.

Everyone watching would quickly come to recognize how much of an arsehole the 'Super' was being over the whole thing....

And the show would fail for poor ratings, as most folk would see it as pretty contrived, not very believable story line.

But Buffy The Vampire Slayer ran for 6 season... and there were how many movies about twinkly vampires again?

Whoops Bob I am an expert on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, biggest fan, there were 7 seasons. But the last one stunk really the first 5 were the ones really worth watching.But yes 7 seasons.

Bob the Unbeliever

Whoops Bob I am an expert on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, biggest fan, there were 7 seasons. But the last one stunk really the first 5 were the ones really worth watching.But yes 7 seasons.

I will cheerfully take your word for it-- I could not be bothered to look. I'm re-watching it again (I never missed an episode when it was first aired-- I had two SVHS players to catch my shows back then, and later a DVR..... )

I'm currently on? Season 3? 4? I forget-- Buffy & Willow are Freshmen in College, and I seem to remember Buffy starting at Sunnydale as a Junior in HS? Doesn't matter-- Spike is back but with a chip that prevents him from eating people; the beginning of his metamorphosis into a Dark Night. ;)

I remember his final words-- "No you don't, but thank you for saying it. mmmm.... stings a bit... "

rusra02

Premium Member
How many people did Moses take out of Egypt?
Exodus reports 600,000 and 603,550 adult male Israelites, include women and children and you'd have over two million; include livestock and the numbers multiply tenfold.
The total estimated Egyptian population at the time was three to 4.5 million.

>Two million people, plus livestock and household effects, dwelling in a barren desert for 40 years, and not a single fossil or artifact left behind?
How did they survive? How is there no archaeological evidence of their population? The whole story is implausible and unsupported by any archaeological evidence.

The Bible does not say "Red Sea." The Bible says Yam Suph, or Sea of Reeds.
Think about it: why would a fleeing people head East through a barren desert toward an uncrossable sea, if they had any knowledge of geography? The only reasonable escape route would be through the papyrus bogs of the Nile delta into Palestine -- through a "sea of reeds."
Regarding the idea that Israelites crossed a swampy area, Insight on the Scriptures p. 781 notes: "This... view is based on the argument that the Hebrew yam-suphʹ (translated “Red Sea”) literally means “sea of rushes, or, reeds, bulrushes,” and that therefore the Israelites crossed, not the arm of the Red Sea known as the Gulf of Suez, but a sea of reeds, a swampy place such as the Bitter Lakes region. In so holding, however, they do not agree with the translators of the ancient Greek Septuagint, who translated yam-suphʹ with the Greek name e·ry·thraʹ thaʹlas·sa, meaning, literally, “Red Sea.” But, far more important, both Luke, who was the writer of Acts (quoting Stephen), and the apostle Paul used this same Greek name when relating the events of the Exodus.—Ac 7:36; Heb 11:29; "
Pharoah's army could hardly have drowned in a sea of reeds.
The Bible answers the other questions you asked. What kind of archeological evidence would you expect to find of a nomadic people, living in tents, trekking through the wilderness 3,500 years ago? As mentioned previously, the documentary claims archeological evidence exists of Israel's time in Egypt.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Regarding the idea that Israelites crossed a swampy area, Insight on the Scriptures p. 781 notes: "This... view is based on the argument that the Hebrew yam-suphʹ (translated “Red Sea”) literally means “sea of rushes, or, reeds, bulrushes,” and that therefore the Israelites crossed, not the arm of the Red Sea known as the Gulf of Suez, but a sea of reeds, a swampy place such as the Bitter Lakes region. In so holding, however, they do not agree with the translators of the ancient Greek Septuagint, who translated yam-suphʹ with the Greek name e·ry·thraʹ thaʹlas·sa, meaning, literally, “Red Sea.” But, far more important, both Luke, who was the writer of Acts (quoting Stephen), and the apostle Paul used this same Greek name when relating the events of the Exodus.—Ac 7:36; Heb 11:29; "
The Bible answers the other questions you asked. What kind of archeological evidence would you expect to find of a nomadic people's trek through the wilderness? As mentioned previously, the documentary claims archeological evidence exists of Israel's time in Egypt.

You are greatly and selectively overstating the claims of of evidence supporting the Biblical Exodus. First, the archaeological evidence is that the Sinai was not really truly 'wilderness.' The climate was not as arid then as today, and numerous oasis existed and inhabited by nomadic people, and trade routes crisscrossed the Sinai. The Egyptian had mines in various locations in the Sinai mining minerals like Azurite. Some of these oasis were described in the journey in Exodus.

Archaeological evidence exists that some Hebrews were slaves in Egypt, but that is all. The elephant in the room is that there is absolutely no evidence of a Hebrew invasion of Canaan nor Judea.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sadly, "the Exodus never happened" has long since been reduced to a childish, agenda-driven mantra fueled by selection bias.

DanielR

Congratulations, you totally don't get how the Google search algorithm works.

It has more to do with what you previously searched if you have a Google Account and are logged in.

Don't see a link. And some Jew claiming stuff is of no concern. What is important is the predominant opinion of the Jewish world, not some loner.

Good for you. So you are one of those atheists who got an axe to grind.

Good for him. Nothing in the world changed.

1. lol a blog from the HuffingtonPost.
2. "

Staks Rosch is a Philadelphia based writer and a vocal advocate for Humanism, atheism, and reason. He serves as the head of The Philadelphia Coalition of Reason (PhillyCoR) and writes the Dangerous Talk blog on the Skeptic Ink Network and is a freelance writer for Publishers Weekly. He has a Master's Degree in Philosophy from West Chester University and is a stay at home dad."

A Masters Degree in Philosophy. How cute.

Still haven't found the Wiki page about Slavery in Ancient Egypt? Well keep at it. In due time...

Weird name for a person.

The word you are looking for is "marched" not "travelled".
Or where they having a picnic with the Hittites?

has anyone ever told you that you are incredibly rude? Isn't your religion supposed to turn you, you know into a BETTER person?

Bob the Unbeliever

... What kind of archeological evidence would you expect to find of a nomadic people, living in tents, trekking through the wilderness 3,500 years ago? As mentioned previously, the documentary claims archeological evidence exists of Israel's time in Egypt.

Pottery shards? Bones from the many animals they had with them, who die? Animals die all the time. Graves of the many infants who died over the 40 years of wandering? By the best estimates, 9 of 10 live births, ended up with a dead fetus/baby. We can reasonably expect quite a number of such graves, over such a tiny area, considering there were around a million (or more--depends on how you count) people at that time and place.

More: cloth/leather goods, as they were worn out and discarded. Wooden artifacts too, from carts, wagons and what-not. Broken wheels, etc. Metal tools that were too worn to use would also be discarded...

There is all sorts of detritus that such a large population would leave behind for future archeologists to discover, proving they were actually there--

---- what do we have? Nothing,

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible answers the other questions you asked. What kind of archeological evidence would you expect to find of a nomadic people, living in tents, trekking through the wilderness 3,500 years ago? As mentioned previously, the documentary claims archeological evidence exists of Israel's time in Egypt.
And the documentary is wrong on that front as well.