• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ego

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does your religion have to say about ego? Is ego a point of discussion in your religion? Is it considered good, bad, or simply a part of who you are? Are there any tenets or dogma associated with it? What is your religions opinion on what should be done with it?

Most importantly, is ego somehow related to superior fashion sense? If so, how?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Complicated question, sure to bring out some collective insight.

My religion would consider it as separation, or anava. It's when you falsely see yourself as separate from Brahman. It's not something to be despised, but to be understood.

It's also the small 'self', the I, the root word of selfish, and selfless. Wisdom can be applied to determine the direction of action ... selfish, or selfless.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm going to do something I almost never do and repeat (for the most part) what I posted about an hour ago in another thread.

My approach is likely to seem very naive to people raised to think in terms of black and white, good and evil, God and Satan, etc. But to me, those kinds of dichotomies are great for understanding binary computer code, not so great for understanding human psychology, or -- if you prefer -- 'spiritual truths'.

'Ego' might be thought of as a 'power' within you.

As a nearly inviolate rule, the powers within you that you deny or suppress become your demons.

Don't try to suppress, crush, or kill the ego. You'll only make it stronger. You'll only cause it to swell up, aggrandize.

Try to 'domestic' it instead. Make it serve you.

Much more realistic and practical approach, I'd say.

Begin the taming by non-judgementally understanding it.

Observe it. See how it behaves. Come to know its habits. it's scope. It's nature.

Forget to judge it good or evil. Doing either is a mistake.

Observe it dispassionately.

Just see it, just understand it.

Tame it.

Do not take my word on this! No need to. This isn't a matter of faith. It is not revelation that you have to accept on my authority. What I have said can be tested. Tried. Proven by you right or wrong. You are highly unlikely to understand your ego overnight -- unless you have some kind of mystical 'enlightenment' experience -- but it can be done if you stick with dispassionately observing it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ego is useful when driving your car and other material things

Attachment to ego is a major obstruction for Spiritual Growth

Please expand on "attachment to ego." How does one become attached to ego? Is it recommended that one should become detached? What is the process?

Also, it it useful to become detached from ego when driving a car?

Vee

Premium Member
What does your religion have to say about ego? Is ego a point of discussion in your religion? Is it considered good, bad, or simply a part of who you are? Are there any tenets or dogma associated with it? What is your religions opinion on what should be done with it?

Most importantly, is ego somehow related to superior fashion sense? If so, how?

JWs are instructed to cultivate an attitude of unselfishness and empathy. Those who focus exclusively on their ego's are normally very proud and selfish and have no considerations for others. That kind of attitude is completely against our beliefs. We are taught to love each other and a big ego would lead us to the opposite of love.
Here's a few scriptures that back our beliefs:
1 Corinthians 10:33; 13:4-8; "just as I am trying to please all people in all things, not seeking my own advantage, but that of the many, so that they may be saved." , "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with."
Galatians 5:26; "Let us not become egotistical, stirring up competition with one another, envying one another."
Philippians 2:3, 4. "Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to do something I almost never do and repeat (for the most part) what I posted about an hour ago in another thread.

As a nearly inviolate rule, the powers within you that you deny or surpress become your demons.

Don't try to suppress, crush, or kill the ego. You'll only make it stronger.

Observe it. See how it behaves. Come to know its habits. it's scope. It's nature.

Tame it.

It's not often you'll get two likes from me on the same post. Savor the moment and bask in its glory. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree with this statement. I see so many McDharmics talk about "shedding the ego," "dropping the ego," and "getting rid of the ego."

I think the key is understanding what it is an conditioning oneself to manage it.

One of the first understandings to counter that is to admit that the ego (not itself, but people, because of ego) has done some wonderful things on this planet. Steve Jobs is an example. There is no good/bad in it, and no room for that sort of 'opposites' thinking.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

As a nearly inviolate rule, the powers within you that you deny or surpress become your demons.

Don't try to suppress, crush, or kill the ego. You'll only make it stronger.

Tame it.
After reading your post, in the other thread i went back to the explenation of ego from ny teacher, and viola..... @Sunstone just made me enlighten a little more today :)
It was my own "letting go" thought that has been wrong.

Gaining control over the Ego is a more correct way, not kicking it out :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
JWs are instructed to cultivate an attitude of unselfishness and empathy. Those who focus exclusively on their ego's are normally very proud and selfish and have no considerations for others. That kind of attitude is completely against our beliefs. We are taught to love each other and a big ego would lead us to the opposite of love.

Does your religion perceive ego as a strictly negative quality? You allude to pride and selfishness as being ego, but not unselfishness and empathy. Do you consider the two latter behaviors to not be a part of ego?

Vee

Premium Member
Does your religion perceive ego as a strictly negative quality? You allude to pride and selfishness as being ego, but not unselfishness and empathy. Do you consider the two latter behaviors to not be a part of ego?

The very definition of "ego" according to the dictionary is "a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance". Self esteem is important and we need it to be able to function as balanced human beings, but if we allow the self-importance to grow to the point of feeling that we are superior to others, that's when things can go the wrong way.
We are not superior to anyone and it's important the we keep a balanced view of ourselves and others. Each individual is important and has a place in society, but when certain individuals decide they're better and more important than others, that's when selfishness comes in and destroys human relations instead of building them up.
People who practice unselfishness and empathy don't normally have big egos.

Audie

Veteran Member
Here's a few scriptures that back our beliefs:
1 Corinthians 10:33; 13:4-8; "just as I am trying to please all people in all things, not seeking my own advantage, but that of the many, so that they may be saved." , "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with."
Galatians 5:26; "Let us not become egotistical, stirring up competition with one another, envying one another."
Philippians 2:3, 4. "Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others"

What you speak of in your terms refers to what we are taught in terms of duty to others.

Where the wrong of 'ego" comes in, is self indulgence.

= doing what you happen to FEEL like doing,
rather than what thought says you should

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The very definition of "ego" according to the dictionary is "a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance". Self esteem is important and we need it to be able to function as balanced human beings, but if we allow the self-importance to grow to the point of feeling that we are superior to others, that's when things can go the wrong way.
We are not superior to anyone and it's important the we keep a balanced view of ourselves and others. Each individual is important and has a place in society, but when certain individuals decide they're better and more important than others, that's when selfishness comes in and destroys human relations instead of building them up.
People who practice unselfishness and empathy don't normally have big egos.

I suppose I see you're point if you're using the definition Google offers.

I see ego more along the lines of what M-W offers.

1: the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world
2a: EGOTISM sense 2
b: SELF-ESTEEM sense 1
3: the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that serves as the organized conscious mediator between the person and reality especially by functioning both in the perception of and adaptation to reality​

Definition of EGO

I don't see egos as big or small, and I don't see ego as inherently bad. But left unchecked, I can see how it can be malevolent.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Ego is useful when driving your car and other material things

Attachment to ego is a major obstruction for Spiritual Growth

Please expand on "attachment to ego." How does one become attached to ego? Is it recommended that one should become detached? What is the process?

Also, it it useful to become detached from ego when driving a car?
Ego is not a problem, and very useful to get material things done
Attachment to ego is okay if you are interested in worldly things
But it's a distraction on the Spiritual Path

Bliss is derived when mind (bundle of thoughts) become less. Attachment to ego and desires create more mind, hence less Bliss. I don't call it bad, but it depends what your goal is. Even if your goal is Spiritual Progress, it might be that due to past karma you still have to go through certain addictions (strong attachments). You can compare it to a fan. Once you switch of the electricity the fan does not stop immediately, but gradual it will slow down.

The senses create the feeling of good and bad. Normally people prefer to feel good. Hence some indulge in sense gratification. That can even become like an addictions. But hunting after addictions does not give you lasting happiness, hence the Saints showed the Path to let go of desires, because they discovered that "the less desires one has, the more happy one becomes".

There are in Hinduism various ways to become less attached. It is twofold. First become attached to Spiritual Life, this will give you inspiration and Love. Next don't follow all your addictions, esp. the ones that are harmful for you or others.
IF you would just try to detach and nothing comes in its place, that might be a very difficult path. Not all will manage. Hence in Hinduism they have the Path of Bhakti for those who enjoy devotion, the Path of Selfless Service for those who can't do devotion or meditation, and for some others is the path of Meditation.

When driving a car, it's better to be not in the state of Bliss or No Mind. Taxi drivers and riksha drivers in India offer their "ride" to God. So they do a small prayer before they start driving, and thank God when arriving safely. In between they need all their attention on the road (I rather won't drive in Bombay myself):eek:

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I don't belong to a religion, but in my tradition there is a spiritual practice in which the false sense of ego is continuously surrendered to the Supreme Consciousness (God or Brahma). Also practitioners are advised to avoid having inferiority complex as well as having superiority complex.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The very definition of "ego" according to the dictionary is "a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance".

Is that all you see when you yourself look at your ego, look deeply into it? Just curious. Not looking for a debate.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Please expand on "attachment to ego."

Even if your goal is Spiritual Progress, it might be that due to past karma you still have to go through certain addictions (strong attachments). You can compare it to a fan. Once you switch of the electricity the fan does not stop immediately, but gradual it will slow down.
A good example to "attachment to ego" is maybe the following:

I had a food addiction (e.g. I love chocolate and ice cream). I did stop it for many years, but then Sai Baba told me to eat it again. I had horrible root canal pain, and He said if I eat ice cream the pain would go. So, I did, and indeed the pain was gone. But before I knew I was hooked on my addiction again. Attachment to ego.

To accept that certain addictions can't be stopped at once is also a form of "let go of attachment". No need to be perfect at once. Was a hard one for me. I always tried to be perfect, and being a pleaser I really tried hard to please Sai Baba. Hence He gave me all kind of exercises that I could not do. He did not tell me I was a pleaser, but in this way He put it right in my face, so I figured it out.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Perhaps our sense of ego helps us to maintain the belief that we are an enduring entity, moving through the world.