• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ego traps to avoid in meditation

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow earthlings!

I hope your day has been an enjoyable one so far.

I was unsure where to post this - so move it if you prefer ...

Here's a few traps to be mindful of. Some were news to me so I hope they help some of my loyal readers!

The Permanency Trap

“Ah Ha! I’ve finally got it, I’ve finally arrived” said the ego, “I’ve finally found that perfect philosophy, the right answer and the meaning to life.” This is the permanence trap. As soon as you think you’ve got it, you’ve gone astray, you’ve missed the point of impermanence and you are grasping at something conceptually secure to hold onto in this ever changing world.

The ego grasping onto permanence is so often an intellectual grasping, you think you’ve got it, the answer to your problems, the final conclusion. This is a trap. This dulls the sensitivity to the present moment, it breeds arrogance and ultimately brings huge disappointment. As Zen Master Suzuki says “…the minds readiness for anything is wisdom.” He goes on to warn “that in an expert’s mind there are few possibilities but in a beginners mind there are many.”

Read the full article here -

The Five Ego Traps To Avoid in Meditation

Add your own comments/experiences etc!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

:)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Greetings fellow earthlings!

I hope your day has been an enjoyable one so far.

I was unsure where to post this - so move it if you prefer ...

Here's a few traps to be mindful of. Some were news to me so I hope they help some of my loyal readers!

The Permanency Trap

“Ah Ha! I’ve finally got it, I’ve finally arrived” said the ego, “I’ve finally found that perfect philosophy, the right answer and the meaning to life.” This is the permanence trap. As soon as you think you’ve got it, you’ve gone astray, you’ve missed the point of impermanence and you are grasping at something conceptually secure to hold onto in this ever changing world.

The ego grasping onto permanence is so often an intellectual grasping, you think you’ve got it, the answer to your problems, the final conclusion. This is a trap. This dulls the sensitivity to the present moment, it breeds arrogance and ultimately brings huge disappointment. As Zen Master Suzuki says “…the minds readiness for anything is wisdom.” He goes on to warn “that in an expert’s mind there are few possibilities but in a beginners mind there are many.”

Read the full article here -

The Five Ego Traps To Avoid in Meditation

Add your own comments/experiences etc!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

:)
Brad Warner & Dogen. Kewl. :)