• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ego death: valid confirmation of God?

RestlessSoul

Habit really. I wonder if it would make sense for a deist to use a capital G when referring to their idea of god.

I suppose in my model the universe is God itself, or rather, the essence of God is in all the positive energy of the universe. That’s not backed up by anything, that’s just my subjective understanding. So when you lose your sense of separation from the universe, you find god in my model. Model could be partly or completely wrong, I’m always updating my worldview.

Have you read the Bhagavad-Gita?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ego is a product of a living brain. When that brain stops living, then so does the ego. Nothing could be simpler!

Obviously, based on my previous comment, not.

That is metaphysics. It rest on the assumption that the world is natural. That is without evidence. Don't confuse methodological and philosophical naturalism.

RestlessSoul

I have twice. I was wanting to reread it but seem to have lost it :( it’s been a little while, I can’t recall the philosophy of it entirely, hence why I want to reread it. I do remember the first time I read it, I was in a dark spot in my life and it lifted me out of that and helped me greatly.

As I recall, there are passages where Krishna reveals to Arjuna, that all of the material world is an expression of his divine light, his unity refracted, through the kaleidoscope of being, into a multiplicity of infinitely complex patterns.

Krishna is in the world, indeed the world is Krishna; but Krishna is also beyond the world. God both manifest and transcendent, is how it’s put iirc.

I hear echoes of the BG in the Gospels, for example John 14:20 and Matthew 11:27

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
After accepting my Guru as my God

Would you mind explaining this a bit more? I’m curious
@Xavier Graham SA Okay, I'll share with you

In my enthusiasm I already started writing a more detailed story with my experiences proving He is for real, but then I thought I better check what @Xavier Graham SA asked for

"a bit"... right, I start again

Shortest version:
In India it is said that "Guru is God"

There is a whole philosophy behind this, you can easily find when you want to know

In short your Mother is your first Guru, your Father is the second Guru. And at young age some used to be sent to a Guru for (Spiritual) education

Hence my line
"After accepting my Guru as my God"

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ego death is the hypothetical state of consciousness in which you lose all sense of individual self. You become one with the “universe” or “God”.
Ego death - Wikipedia
I am curious if anyone here has ever achieved this state through intense spiritual practice and mediation. My exwife, who got me into Buddhism, told me her books she read spoke of such a process.
Question: is ego death real? Or is it simply the power of the brain’s creativity at work?
Question: is ego death a valid way to confirm God’s existence?

As far as I know, some who use psychedelics have claimed that. Interesting topic.

Clara Tea

Ego death is the hypothetical state of consciousness in which you lose all sense of individual self. You become one with the “universe” or “God”.
Ego death - Wikipedia
I am curious if anyone here has ever achieved this state through intense spiritual practice and mediation. My exwife, who got me into Buddhism, told me her books she read spoke of such a process.
Question: is ego death real? Or is it simply the power of the brain’s creativity at work?

Extreme poverty causes many to lose the sense of themselves, and they welcome death as a release from their suffering.

Was Jesus interested in helping the poor, sick, and hungry? Yet, that was pretty much his entire preoccupation. So, if Jesus tended to the poor, we should too. So why aren't we??????

Take a look at Los Angeles (I was there, and I saw). The picture, below, shows a little bit of sidewalk under the miles and miles of homeless tents. But I saw no sidewalk at all....they were jammed in there tight.

upload_2022-5-2_7-56-39.jpeg

Unless you go to the inner city and look at the homeless, you won't see them. You won't see them in expensive cities (Beverly Hills, Belair, Newport Beach, Irvine), so many smug Christians assert that they don't exist because, quite frankly, they don't see them.

Part of the problem is that there are now too many poor, so it is a small gesture to donate to the needed. There is not enough money to help all of them. The middle class has been shoved into the poor class. We are now a nation of the Haves and Have Nots. There are rich, there are poor, but there is no middle ground to speak of. That middle class should be the largest segment of our population, and it is missing.

How did we lose the working middle class? The greedy politicians convinced us that trickle-down works (though it has been shown, time and time again, that it does not). They said that if we cut taxes for everyone, the rich could build more efficient businesses then pay the workers more. The middle class got a small tax cut, while the rich got huge loopholes and folks like Bill Gates of Microsoft paid no taxes at all as he amassed over a hundred billion dollars, and Donald Trump took advantage of tax loopholes, and was blasted for it by the idiot Senator who made those loopholes). So did it help the economy? Nope, that was the year (2008, W. Bush administration) when the entire worldwide economy collapsed. Technically, it collapsed because of deregulated banks that loaned 125% of the value of houses. Once the houses dropped in value a little bit, the banks foreclosed on the loans, and that caused an avalanche of debts. Since the real estate market is far far larger than the stock market, the stock market was hit like a ton of bricks, and it took years to recover. Of course Republicans blamed Obama for having to pay for the Recovery Act (to build infrastructure...shoring up bridges, making stronger roads) to pay our way out of the recession and employ construction workers. Yet, the recovery act worked, and bailing out corporations was necessary because the failure of a few large corporations would create a domino effect and wipe out vast numbers of other companies, which would, in turn, wipe out others (with no end in sight).

Derivatives (land on the stock market) contributed to the collapse.

Hoarding decreased M1 (cash, a term of economists), which added to the woes.

The US had to bail out foreign owned businesses (we have to remember that all of the businesses on the stock market are traded internationally, and even the family of Osama bin Laden (a rich Arab family) owned parts of large corporations traded on the New York Stock Exchange. There is no guarantee that bailing out a stock will help a US owned company. For example, Renault (a French car company) owned 1/3 of Chrysler at the time that it was bailed out, and Cerberus (a collective of 100 millionaires) owned over 1/2 of Chrysler at the time. Cerberus was founded by a junk bond king, and no one is allowed to know who those investors are (bin Laden perhaps?). No one knows who owns America, but it is rather important to know that especially if we have to bail them out.

The needs of Jesus are inexorably tied to religion, economics, and politics.

We should have known that trickle down didn't work when Ronald Reagan's deregulation cut taxes for the rich and corporations, resulting in the failure of the FSLIC (savings and loan insurance, when they failed), and FDIC (which insures banks and had to be bailed out at the same time). America's steel companies failed (cheap foreign material and cheap foreign labor took their place). Cheap defective steel bolts broke in half and engines fell off of planes until ISO government regulated steel bolts were used in their place (so regulations and high standards of American production were necessary, after all). Air traffic controllers went on strike. Family farms, that were in the possesion of families for 300 years were failing right and left, so President Reagan announced that all of America's farmers (after 300 years of hard work) were simultaneously lazy. Yet documentaries showed that the farmers were working as hard as anyone could. Believe the realities, not the lies and cover-ups. Deregulation and lower taxation didn't work under Reagan's Voodoo Economics, nor did it work when W. Bush tried it in an even larger way.

Normal families are now losing their jobs and finding themselves homeless. In Los Angeles, the price of rent is so high that many people working 2 jobs (with wives working 2 jobs) cannot afford rent....so they and their young children are homeless, and the kids are basically dumped onto the streets, with drug pushers, addicts, prostitutes, and criminals, with no guidance (in Christian matters or morality) whatsoever.

The mean spirited Christians, instead of tending to the poor, are vengefully attacking Gays, claiming that Gay sex is against their bible, and that Gay marriage somehow (I don't know how) wrecks Christian marriage. Jesus said "Judge not, lest ye be judged" and only God is the judge. So why are Christians trying to intrude their religion on others?

Meditation is not the only way to lose the sense of self....poverty will also do it. This explains why those who lost all hope are committing suicide in record numbers.

Clara Tea

As far as I know, some who use psychedelics have claimed that. Interesting topic.

And psychedelics will make you see God (and pink elephants....and see sounds and hear colors....and imagine that you are God...and tell you that you can fly off of a skyscraper's window (as many have)).

Clara Tea

Opioid-induced Hallucinations: A Review of the Literature, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Opioid-induced hallucinations (source above....National Intitutes of Health).

The drug that makes people jump off buildings

Monkey dust (from the plant Khat, similar to cathinones). "Frequently we see the paranoia - instances of people jumping into traffic, jumping onto bridges and high buildings, running into people's houses." (source above: BBC)

https://drugabuse.com/blog/what-drugs-cause-the-most-insane-behavior/

Types of narcotics and their effects. (source above: drugabuse.com)

Clara Tea

I have twice. I was wanting to reread it but seem to have lost it :( it’s been a little while, I can’t recall the philosophy of it entirely, hence why I want to reread it. I do remember the first time I read it, I was in a dark spot in my life and it lifted me out of that and helped me greatly.

Some feel spiritually empty, and they find solace with another, filling each other's holes.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Opioid-induced Hallucinations: A Review of the Literature, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Opioid-induced hallucinations (source above....National Intitutes of Health).

The drug that makes people jump off buildings

Monkey dust (from the plant Khat, similar to cathinones). "Frequently we see the paranoia - instances of people jumping into traffic, jumping onto bridges and high buildings, running into people's houses." (source above: BBC)

https://drugabuse.com/blog/what-drugs-cause-the-most-insane-behavior/

Types of narcotics and their effects. (source above: drugabuse.com)
Not relevant to me.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you say ego death is a thing because you believe you have achieved it before. When you were in this state of consciousness, did you feel the presence of a higher power? I lost sense of “I” and merged with everything, the universe.
How was ego death for you?

Higher power isn't exactly how I'd define it. I don't think I can define the experience. Which is honestly the point imo.

What you say isn't inaccurate regarding the loss of "I", and a merger with All though. To touch Pure Magick, is magical.

Ludi

The ego 'death' is when you go from 'self,' an existence made up of words, back to the state you were born IN, once again becoming both perfectly ALIVE, and in a state of perfect ONENESS with Creation. As there is no longer anything in between, Nirvana. This is actually the state Jesus gives you at birth, when you are in perfect ONENESS with both Him and His Father, or IN the Divine Image.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Ego death - Wikipedia
I heard there are special helmets that help reproducing that. LDS could also help.

The question, of course, is how electrical/magnetic stimulation of the brain, or chemicals in the blood, could prove God, when in fact they look much more indicative of a merely physical nature of our minds.

ciao

- viole