• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ego as guru

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope your all well!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this.

I found it interesting but your experience may vary -

Has anyone ever considered their ego might assume the role of spiritual advisor?

I found it here -

Here is an excerpt from Radical Happiness: A Guide to Awakening by Gina Lake about one of the guises the ego takes on. Sometimes the egoic mind (the voice in our head) takes on the tone of a spiritual advisor, which is called The Guru in this excerpt.

The ego can pretend to be good and wise, but that doesn’t make it so. It can sound like it has your best interests at heart, but the ego is a con man. Underneath the supposed wisdom is judgment, because The Guru is essentially The Judge, but on spiritual matters instead of mundane ones. The ego as The Guru is a con man because it cons us into thinking it’s guiding us spiritually, when it’s really creating the same contraction, discontentment, stress, and striving the ego is known for. When we are aligned with our true nature, we feel relaxed, at peace with life, content, happy, and loving. And we are naturally attuned to the wisdom of the Self (Essence). Listening to The Guru, however, doesn’t bring such peace and contentment, but only more striving and the sense that we still don’t measure up. The Guru shakes its finger at us, saying: “You’ll never be enlightened. You have to be more (fill in the blank)¬ and less (fill in the blank).”

Comes from this site - loads of free stuff too! Plus look for her on YouTube ...

The Ego as Guru

All the best!