• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Educational statues

How much about history have you learned from statues in your hometown?

• Total voters

Yerda

Veteran Member
In my hometown there is a monument. A cenotaph. It has four sides with lists of names of people of the town who died fighting in WW1. Below the lists is a border with the inscription (roughly),

"In memory of the men of *hometown* who gave up their lives fighting in the Great War, 1914-1918".

But, from the main road leading to the cenotaph you can only see two sides. The part of the inscription you can see from the road is,

"In memory of the men of *hometown* who gave up".

We thought this was hilarious. Like they just downed tools and said, "nah I'm no into this warring malarkey", and went home. And then the council was like, "good work lads, have a piece of civic art dedicated to your desertion".

The council went to the bother of changing the inscription because an old woman complained about boys laughing. I'm sure it was us. Anyway, there was an uproar about civic vandalism and the costs and ethics of changing a historical monument. The whole episode still tickles me.