• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Educational statues

How much about history have you learned from statues in your hometown?

• Total voters

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you started a campaign to have his head replaced with that of an ibis?
I should, but I'll be moving to Canterbury soon, where I can complain that Thomas a Becket was some kind of bigot and Chaucer was a misogynistic Christian fundamentalist.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What did you learn other than that you can balance a chicken, a cat and a dog on top of a donkey? :D

bremer-stadtmusikanten.jpg
If you'd turn around from that view, you'd see a more important statue:

RolandBremen02.jpg

Bremen Roland - Wikipedia

I've learned that people even in the middle ages were wary of the powers of the church.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've learned that people even in the middle ages were wary of the powers of the church.
They were more wary of it than we are today, imo! The Middle Ages in Western Europe gave us our basis for the division between Church and State, and the Mediaevals distinguished between civil and ecclesiastical law.

I should, but I'll be moving to Canterbury soon, where I can complain that Thomas a Becket was some kind of bigot and Chaucer was a misogynistic Christian fundamentalist.

You can cancel the Cathedral due to the Anglican Church's links to the slave trade and campaign to have it put in a museum and replaced with a statue of Lenny Henry.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can cancel the Cathedral due to the Anglican Church's links to the slave trade and campaign to have it put in a museum and replaced with a statue of Lenny Henry.
No I'm going to do much worse.

I'm going to campaign to have a Catholic Latin Mass said there.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
So I was wondering what other people's experiences were of learning from statues in their hometown in terms of either the statue itself, being told about the statue or being motivated to learn by a statue. What knowledge that you would not have otherwise been exposed to did you acquire?

Well, not all towns have equal historical significance. I think - for example - that a statue of a confederate general (from Big Sur ;) ), ought to remain in place. I would also add a plaque that describes how the moral and cultural context from back then differs from today's context, and what we've learned.

Well, not all towns have equal historical significance. I think - for example - that a statue of a confederate general (from Big Sur ;) ), ought to remain in place. I would also add a plaque that describes how the moral and cultural context from back then differs from today's context, and what we've learned.

I just discovered that Big Sur is a place, not just an operating system :D

Have you learned anything from statues in your hometown that you wouldn't otherwise have known?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you started a campaign to have his head replaced with that of an ibis?
I should start a campaign for a statue of Ramesses II...

And I want it to be this big,

36461960-the-huge-statue-of-ramesses-ii-in-luxor-temple-egypt-.jpg

Anyone who objects is obviously racist and Paganophobic.

Anyone who objects is obviously racist and Paganophobic.

Bet he had slaves and was an imperialist and engaged in wars against the Nubians which means he is the racist and he had lots of wives which is toxic masculinity and so he should be cancelled senseless.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Bet he had slaves and was an imperialist and engaged in wars against the Nubians which means he is the racist and he had lots of wives which is toxic masculinity and so he should be cancelled senseless.
People are just pissed off because his statues are bigger than theirs.

PureX

Veteran Member
I live across the street from an old cemetery where there are hundreds of monuments to dead people. Some of them are quite nice and I actually find them more interesting for the fact that I don't know anything about the people they commemorate.

Most of the public monuments I've seen are just misplaced grave markers that belong in a cemetery.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Erm...

It doesn't look like it is related to rape...
The rape of Persephone is just what the myth is typically called. In reality it’s a myth about the abduction of Persephone by Hades (with explicit permission given by Zeus.) This was rather typical of many of the marriages between the Greek/Roman gods. Rape in this context referring to the abduction part specifically.
It’s also technically one of the origin myths of the seasons of Winter and Spring, fun fact.
Ironically, Hades was one of the few Greco/Roman Gods who treated his wife as an equal and their relationship was actually rather functional, all things considered.
Rape of Persephone - Wikipedia.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The rape of Persephone is just what the myth is typically called. In reality it’s a myth about the abduction of Persephone by Hades (with explicit permission given by Zeus.) This was rather typical of many of the marriages between the Greek/Roman gods. Rape in this context referring to the abduction part specifically.
It’s also technically one of the origin myths of the seasons of Winter and Spring, fun fact.
Ironically, Hades was one of the few Greco/Roman Gods who treated his wife as an equal and their relationship was actually rather functional, all things considered.
Rape of Persephone - Wikipedia.

I know the story, I just find it odd how it is called in english... it is mostly an english thing, me thinks.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I know the story, I just find it odd how it is called in english... it is mostly an english thing, me thinks.
Yeah. English is a weird language lol
It’s likely just an old usage of the word, since rape hasn’t always exclusively referred to sexual assault.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I just discovered that Big Sur is a place, not just an operating system :D

Have you learned anything from statues in your hometown that you wouldn't otherwise have known?

Yes. My hometown is north of Chicago- I learned about some of the first freed slaves who made their way north and settled in this town.