• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Need? No. Should they have one? Probably, and in a field that is relevant to the decisions they are making. Where their education fails, they should consult relevant experts... which some of them do, and unfortunately some of them do not.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I think they should, but I also think politicians should make realistic promises instead of saying whatever the average voter wants to hear. There are a lot of things wrong with the way most countries are run and I don't think reducing the education of those who run it is a good way to go about sorting them. In fact I think it is an idiotic thing to do. In my opinion the person that makes policy on health care should be a doctor, the person makes energy policies should be an electrical engineer.

Awoon

I think they should, but I also think politicians should make realistic promises instead of saying whatever the average voter wants to hear. There are a lot of things wrong with the way most countries are run and I don't think reducing the education of those who run it is a good way to go about sorting them. In fact I think it is an idiotic thing to do. In my opinion the person that makes policy on health care should be a doctor, the person makes energy policies should be an electrical engineer.

Ya well the elected College Educated ALL claim their advisers fit those descriptions now.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think they should, but I also think politicians should make realistic promises instead of saying whatever the average voter wants to hear.

This would be lovely, but I can't help but wonder how practical this really is. The types of promises many politicians make require the cooperation of many other individuals to actually go through. I question how much control any single politician really has over the system. Things end up not getting done because of opposition or inefficiencies. We should not pretend that a single politician has a magic wand they can wave to make things happen their way. The system gets choked up with other opinions and red tape. Especially today.

It is to the point that the only realistic promises a politician could really make are half-hearted messages that would not inspire the sorts of passionate followings they need to accrue votes. It would be things like "I'll try to move Washington towards a more responsible stance on global climate change, but the reality is Washington likes to deny it is real so it's likely I won't actually get anything done."

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Ya well the elected College Educated ALL claim their advisers fit those descriptions now.

Perhaps but they don't claim to always listen to their advisers. What I am saying is the advisers, as the experts in the subject, should be the ones making the decisions.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
This would be lovely, but I can't help but wonder how practical this really is. The types of promises many politicians make require the cooperation of many other individuals to actually go through. I question how much control any single politician really has over the system. Things end up not getting done because of opposition or inefficiencies. We should not pretend that a single politician has a magic wand they can wave to make things happen their way. The system gets choked up with other opinions and red tape. Especially today.

It is to the point that the only realistic promises a politician could really make are half-hearted messages that would not inspire the sorts of passionate followings they need to accrue votes. It would be things like "I'll try to move Washington towards a more responsible stance on global climate change, but the reality is Washington likes to deny it is real so it's likely I won't actually get anything done."

Oh I agree it is Idealistic but I would say the general populace are just as a big a part of the promise as what you say here.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In my opinion the person that makes policy on health care should be a doctor, the person makes energy policies should be an electrical engineer.
I'm not so sure of that. Knowing how to treat patients or design equipment doesn't necessarily mean that you know how to craft policy for a health care system or a power grid.

I certainly believe that elected representatives need to have a good knowledge of the things under their responsibility, but public administration really has its own set of skills that a doctor or an electrical engineer don't necessarily have.

I think that effective administration needs aspects of both sides, but I don't think that a career electrical engineer who's reasonably well-versed in public administration is necessarily going to be better to make energy policy than a career public administrator who's reasonably well-versed in electrical engineering. I mean, there's one level of knowledge needed to determine when, say, a generating station is needed and another level of knowledge to actually design and build the thing. A politician doesn't need a really detailed level of technical knowledge.

Crystallas

The politicians have educations LOL. That's part of how they know how to tear down the system! Do you think the inner political networks of Harvard teach it's members on how to make this nation better? No, they teach it's members how to exploit the working class! Formal education today is not pure and honest. You do not get unbiased interpretations of facts, you get the slant that benefits those who fund the schools the most. The schools are exploited by criminals, and you ask, should they get an education. To me it sounds like they are very well educated!

Vega

Avenger
What sort of education would this be? If by that you mean a 4-year degree, I think many already do.

I feel that anyone in the realm of politics, making decisions for others, should be subjected to regular "courses" on US History, World History, Philosophy/Ethics, and Logic.