• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education made fun? Heresy!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, we all know that education is a good thing.....I think.
It’s good to learn. It’s like growing or whatever. And as someone who is part of the third generation (at least) to be “raised by television” it shouldn’t be surprising that much of what we learnt as kids and teens came from television. Whether intentional or not.
Of course we all had the basic letters and math and “being good” shows as little ones. In Australia we had shows like Play School and some Brit imports like Fireman Sam. We obviously got some Yank imports like Sesame Street, Arthur and Blue’s Clues (or is that from Cunuckistan?)

But some TV shows (and movies) do this better than others. I dare say some even made it entertaining.

My favourites to this day has to be the live action Horrible Histories. Based off the highly successful book series of the same name, this was actually the second attempt to adapt the works. This one was overseen by the original author (who sometimes made cameos) and insisted on strict historical accuracy, only making exceptions for the sake of some jokes. Engaging, a little cringe but overall surprisingly informative.

Another favourite of mine was Walking With Dinosaurs and its spin off Walking with Beasts. A genius idea of a show, imo. The conceit was that it was a sort of nature documentary, following the trials and tribulations of various dinosaurs and later ancient mammals, as they tried to eke out an existence. The CGI was fairly decent for the time and I would assume the budget constraints. But I would love a remake, especially since so much has been discovered since then.

Wishbone sparked in me a love of literature. Whilst I do think it was more constrained by its target audience and needing to have a moral, it was a fairly decent attempt to try to get kids to relate to the canon.

Still not all shows were educational in the sense of “academia.” I feel like I learnt a lot from shows such as Daria. Whilst it could get very preachy at times, it wasn’t just about learning facts. It pondered things about life, art, sometimes even philosophy. I actually watched it at a very young age the first time. So I didn’t like it at first. But then it came on reruns during my high school days and I “got it.”

I didn’t like shows that “preached” messages to me. It always felt condescending even as a kid. The closest I got was watching 7th Heaven with my cousin as a kid. And since it was religiously based I sort of let the preaching slide as just a consequence of the genre. Though I have seen other similar shows and I think it pulled it off better than most.

Special Shout-out to Mr David Attenborough. The voice of nature documentaries so iconic, I can’t seperate the two.

What are some of your faves? Which ones do you think struck a good balance between edumacation and entertaining? And do you think there were any that just fell flat on their face?
Have at it

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
What are some of your faves? Which ones do you think struck a good balance between edumacation and entertaining? And do you think there were any that just fell flat on their face?
Have at it
I liked a lot of things you did it seems.

I didn't see Horrible Histories as a pup but my youngest brother watched it in the mornings before school and it made me laugh every time. These days I have a young nephew and he went through the dinosaur obsession as a lot of children do. So I got to rewatch the Walking With Dinosaurs series. And rewatch it. And rewatch it....

...still an improvement on Paw Patrol.

I've always loved Cosmos. The original series is probably my favourite show ever and the remake isn't too shabby either. Bridges the gap between science/education programming and entertainment but is closer to straight up science documentary.

How It's Made. So many hours of my life.

Takeshi's Castle. It's supposed to be pure entertainment (and it is glorious) but I learned that Japanese culture is utterly bananas.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As a little kid I remember liking Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and Carebears. I don't remember much about them though, and remember more about shows my oldest niece watched like Blue's Clues ans Sesame Street.
Then later on when he came on TV the Crocodile Hunter. I did learn a lot about animals, and how crazy some people can be.
Wish I could say the Simpsons but that was strictly forbidden from the moment it came out. The same with Beavis and Butthead and South Park. But I was a little older when those came out and had more autonomy.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
As a little kid I remember liking Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and Carebears. I don't remember much about them though, and remember more about shows my oldest niece watched like Blue's Clues ans Sesame Street.
Then later on when he came on TV the Crocodile Hunter. I did learn a lot about animals, and how crazy some people can be.
Wish I could say the Simpsons but that was strictly forbidden from the moment it came out. The same with Beavis and Butthead and South Park. But I was a little older when those came out and had more autonomy.
My Aussie self when hearing appreciation for the Croc Hunter
upload_2021-1-29_19-2-40.gif

Also lol my mum barred me from watching the Simpsons. So I never missed an episode :p
Beavis and Butthead is a touch before my time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No TV when I was growing up - possibly a good thing given the attitudes towards children then. I probably have watched most of the Horrible Histories episodes, finding them quite enjoyable and with some good actors involved, so I can see how they do appeal to children. From what I have seen, children tend to get a better deal now than they did decades ago, with TV series like The Slammer and Our School being two to cite - probably only available in the UK. The former has some quite good entertainment acts vying to be the ones released from their incarceration (children in audience voting), and the latter shows the experiences of children transitioning from Primary to Secondary education. Both programmes seem to me to give voice to how children think and feel, and without any condescension or expectations. There have also been some programmes that show older children at school, and where these too seem reasonably honest in what they present - life being a mixture of good and bad at school for many, whilst many others just waltz through it. :oops:

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do have to admit, things like Tom and Jerry, Buggs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner, they all did teach me how to be a schadenfruede and laugh at people's pain and misfortunes (rough childhood probably added to that).