• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ecumenism

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Are you involved in ecumenical activities between denominations within your own religion?

Are you involved in ecumenical activities with other religions?

For example, would you be willing to attend prayer services involving people from various religions?

How about "shared pulpits" with pastors from other religions?

Would you be willing to go to religious services outside of your own faith?

Explanations would be welcomed, but please play nice. :heart:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you involved in ecumenical activities between denominations within your own religion?

For example, would you be willing to attend prayer services involving people from various religions?

Well, not quite the same. I went to a Catholic retreat and got to read the bible verses behind the altar for the Mass. Of course, it wasn't the gospels, but it was still memorable.

Eddi

Panentheist and Psychedelic Cat
Premium Member

All the congregations in my area usually come together to do stuff at Easter, but all that's very much off now thanks to the virus

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Seeing this gives hope for humanity

upload_2020-4-2_17-31-18.png

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Heh. One time a Bedouin soldier walked into the base's synagogue (this is not the opening of a joke) and we got to talking a little about Jewish prayers. Does that count? :D

Double no. In terms of religions you can find around here in Israel - Christianity is a big no-no, Druze are secretive and the rest don't interest me (not that the previous two do, but there are other reasons as well). I also think that "sharing pulpits" disgraces the pulpit - we come to location x to worship our God how we believe it should be done, and here comes someone who doesn't agree with that at all and will be talking about what, exactly?

Which reminds me of an anecdote from one of Mitch Albom's "Have a Little Faith" where a local priest is invited to that community's synagogue, and after preaching for a while he starts crying and begs all the Jews to convince their rabbi - who invited the priest - to convert to Christianity to save his soul, because he - the rabbi - is such a good man and it'd be unfortunate if he went to hell. Awkward silence from the crowd...

I wouldn't really call it an "activity" but if I'm in an Ultra-Orthodox area, I'll probably go pray at a synagogue there. In the army we also often had prayers and religious classes with non-religious guys.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I've done so in the past and would do so in the future if the opportunity arose.

That stems from my firm conviction that all religions can be paths to the same Ocean. And I find that confirmed when I strip away the rituals and theology from them all and find the same core: kindness, love, honor, truth and so forth.

metis

Heh. One time a Bedouin soldier walked into the base's synagogue (this is not the opening of a joke) and we got to talking a little about Jewish prayers. Does that count? :D
Close enough. :)

Which reminds me of an anecdote from one of Mitch Albom's "Have a Little Faith" where a local priest is invited to that community's synagogue, and after preaching for a while he starts crying and begs all the Jews to convince their rabbi - who invited the priest - to convert to Christianity to save his soul, because he - the rabbi - is such a good man and it'd be unfortunate if he went to hell. Awkward silence from the crowd...
I went to both Orthodox and Reform services there in Jerusalem in 1998, including one of the shuls Shlomo Carlebach used to attend.

BTW, the Catholic Church no longer teaches that, so maybe the priest was "old school".

I wouldn't really call it an "activity" but if I'm in an Ultra-Orthodox area, I'll probably go pray at a synagogue there.
I know that area and spent some time there but not at a synagogue service. I tried to find some prickly pears (sabra) at the open market there, but it was too early in the season. My wife's from Sicily, and we go through a lot of 'em in the fall here, and it's my favorite "fruit". Do you like them?

metis

I've done so in the past and would do so in the future if the opportunity arose.

That stems from my firm conviction that all religions can be paths to the same Ocean. And I find that confirmed when I strip away the rituals and theology from them all and find the same core: kindness, love, honor, truth and so forth.
Same here. I feel comfortable going to church, synagogue, mosques, Hindu and Buddhist temples, Sikh services, etc. A great many of my students had ethnic backgrounds, and I have to say that it was the Hindu students I had over my 36 years of teaching (mostly anthropology) that I simply thought were generally the nicest.

What I strongly dislike are the religious institutions that preach the "my way or the highway" approach. I grew up in one of those churches and left in my mid-20's.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
BTW, the Catholic Church no longer teaches that, so maybe the priest was "old school".
I don't remember what denomination that priest was, but considering the time frame of the entire story, it's possible that this was pre-change, if he was Catholic. Isn't that a very recent change in the Catholic theology?
Do you like them?
I think I've only had it once, but I vaguely remember it being pretty good. There's a popular juice (Yeah, fake flavors, I know, but still) now in Israel that's supposed to taste like pear-sabra-apple and is quite good.

metis

if he was Catholic. Isn't that a very recent change in the Catholic theology?
Vatican II set a change in motion that led to the Church being far less judgmental and opening the door for much more cooperation between denominations and religions. However, the Catechism of the Church still teaches that if one is familiar with the teachings of Jesus but refuses to convert to some form of Christianity, they may not go to heaven. Personally, I don't accept that, and there's quite a few other things taught by the Church that I also don't accept. This inevitably draws some ire from some more conservative Catholics, including one Catholic here at RF, but I can live with that.

There's a popular juice (Yeah, fake flavors, I know, but still) now in Israel that's supposed to taste like pear-sabra-apple and is quite good.
Do you eat palmellows (sp)? We visited a farm there that raised them, but I'm only so-so with 'em. I really miss the falafel stands there, but fortunately we have a lot of M.E. restaurants where I live, so I have no trouble getting them.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Vatican II
Five years ago, in commemoration of 50 years to Vatican II, the pope announced that Catholics should no longer attempt to convert Jews. Rabbis at the time interpreted this to mean that Catholicism views Judaism as a legit way to worship God.
Do you eat palmellows
Do you mean pomelos? I don't remember if I've ever tried it.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I've attended prayer and worship services of numerous different Christian churches and denominations. I also attended services for a while at a Unitarian Universalist church. I occasionally attend meditation sits and dharma talks at a local Buddhist group.

I would love to attend prayer, worship, or other services of other religious groups, but haven't had the opportunity to go with someone and I'm too chicken to just show up at a Friday night shabbat service or Muslim prayer service, since I would have no clue what I was doing and would be self-conscious. But I have always found it to be an informative and fascinating experience, and in general people have been quite nice and welcoming to me.

metis

Five years ago, in commemoration of 50 years to Vatican II, the pope announced that Catholics should no longer attempt to convert Jews. Rabbis at the time interpreted this to mean that Catholicism views Judaism as a legit way to worship God.

Do you mean pomelos? I don't remember if I've ever tried it.
I did there and back home, but I'm not a fan of them because they taste too much like grapefruit, and I don't like grapefruit.

metis

According to the Vatican it is, but...

OTOH, Pope Francis isn't parroting the official Catechism line and has made statements much closer to what you say above. However, the conservative bishops are not too enamored with this pope, let me tell ya.

metis

I would love to attend prayer, worship, or other services of other religious groups, but haven't had the opportunity to go with someone and I'm too chicken to just show up at a Friday night shabbat service or Muslim prayer service, since I would have no clue what I was doing and would be self-conscious.
Don't be "chicken", and if you're worried, just give the synagogue or mosque a call first. Trust me, they'll welcome you in a heartbeat and they won't pressure you to do anything.

When you get in, tell them you're visiting, and they'll likely hook you up with some to help you along. And if there is some ritual you're uncomfortable with, then just don't do that part.

You got nothing to lose and experiences to gain.

GoodbyeDave

I'd be happy to worship in a Chinese or Japanese temple, which I'd consider as "denominations" of polytheism. But I wouldn't attend a church, mosque, or synagogue: that would be endorsing something I believe to be false.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't be "chicken", and if you're worried, just give the synagogue or mosque a call first. Trust me, they'll welcome you in a heartbeat and they won't pressure you to do anything.

When you get in, tell them you're visiting, and they'll likely hook you up with some to help you along. And if there is some ritual you're uncomfortable with, then just don't do that part.

You got nothing to lose and experiences to gain.

You're right. I should just rip the band-aid off. :D

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I was baptized, confirmed, and married in a Methodist church. We have worshipped in Luthern, Baptist, Church of Christ, Calvery, Pentecostal, even in Seventh Day Adventist (not quite sure about that one) and found things I liked and disliked about each one. I got to pray, praise God with song, read scripture, and have fellowship. But, I always had to remind myself to come back to sound Biblical Christianity. Is that belief supported by The Bible?
I've realized that I enjoy a traditional service with traditionl hymns and a choir. But I also like to say, "Amen" or "Praise Jesus" whenever I feel like it. I like doing communion every week but want to kneel at an alter, and I can't understand why I have to walk up to the front to leave an offering and for the life of me, I can't remember when to say, "and also with you".I don't feel right not saying The Lord's Prayer" in service but don't think it's right to clap in church. I mean, "You already said Father God fifty times" and you want me to eat the WHOLE body of Christ? Can we change up the Benediction song or do the sermon after the call to worship? Can we read scripture and then comment or take questions? All of that is so trivial. It takes away from the point of it all. Read, pray, praise, fellowship, and repeat. Do any of us have it right? Your thoughts please.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I dont know why but I've always been facinated by the confessional. I am not Catholic but I have always wanted to go in a confessional and confess to a Catholic priest for four reasons. 1) to just tell another person everthing, to actual verbalize my sins, 2) to see thier reaction, and 3) to see how long it takes them to realize that I'm not Catholic, and 4) what would happened next. I would never do that because I know it's not a game and it would be disrespectful to say the least. But, I wonder time to time what it would be like Are there any Catholics who could weigh in? What would likely happen, hypothetically?