• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economy

Bethel Toler

If you listen to all the people running for President next time, not a single one addresses the fuel price increases, oil cost or how we are going to increase our economic development. Has anyone heard anything on these subjects. Thanks..Bethel Toler

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is a convenient quagmire for the oil companies. They cannot build more refineries and when maintenance or hurricanes disrupt operations, they have an excuse to raise prices. We cannot even blame this current increase on the oil barons.

Before we want to hang all the oil executives, we need to consider that environmental concerns and the price of oil is the culprit of our woes.

Big oil's profit is a fraction of our expense compared to the gasoline tax the government collects. At least the oil company does something for their money.

As far as economic development is concerned, unemployment is low, the stock market hit a record high and if you have not felt any relief, your not going to. It can't get much better than it is right now. Real Estate is in a corrective mode because of sub prime lender practices and shady appraisals not being regulated correctly. This is a temporary problem and actually is a plus being a buyers market and an excellent time to trade up. Even the Government is taking in a surplus of tax money and can't spend it as fast as we are paying it in and we are at war.

Like I said, if you waiting for things to get better, it's as good as it gets.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
The economy and oil prices are, for the most part, outside of the president's abilities. His/her tax and social programs may have a bearing on the market, in which all presidents are talking about change, but unless we do something drastic like socialize the economy, they don't have direct influence [and even I shudder at the thought of elected officials holding power over the economy].

As Gravel said, the extent to which we can influence prices is limited to the carbon tax and supporting eco-friendly fuel development, and that's only going to increase the price of gas in the short run.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The economy and oil prices are, for the most part, outside of the president's abilities. His/her tax and social programs may have a bearing on the market, in which all presidents are talking about change, but unless we do something drastic like socialize the economy, they don't have direct influence [and even I shudder at the thought of elected officials holding power over the economy].

As Gravel said, the extent to which we can influence prices is limited to the carbon tax and supporting eco-friendly fuel development, and that's only going to increase the price of gas in the short run.

What kills me Gene, when the gasoline price fell after last summer from around 3 bucks down to 2 a gallon, no one gave the President any praise (nor should they).

But when it goes up, they give it too him both barrels

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
One should not be praised for "just" doing their job. Praise comes from doing your job in a better than average manner. Unfortunately, we have the FOX guarding the HEN HOUSE. Why are we surprised that oil has gone sky high when we have an oil baron in the White House. What makes you think that he will develop honor when he has shown NONE thus far.

This buffoon has a couple more years to make sure that we will pay through the nose for energy and that ALL of his cronies will make the maximum amount of profit. To be sure, he will be rewarded handsomely for his efforts.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What about all the tax money that is being collected? Why has Nancy Pelosi not started a bill to reduce gasoline taxes to give us some relief? Democrats are in the majority. Why can't they get anything done?

I will tell you why, because a Democrat has never voted to lower taxes that's why.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You should all be thankful that Gas prices are so low as they are in the USA.
Relative to the rest of the western world Your Gas prices are so very low because the tax is so low.

When Greenhouse problems are tackled in a more energetic way . it is gas taxes that will lead the way.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Why can't they get anything done?
What about the FOX guarding the HEN HOUSE didn't you understand?

The Republican are saddled with the largest tax increase ever and they have engineered the NEXT largest tax increase ever by the expiration of Bush's flawed "tax breaks" from a few years ago. What a crock, and like most Coulterites, I bet you really believe the Republican hype.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
People are going to have to start living in smaller houses. All we ever talk about is cars. Look at how big houses are now! Back in the day, children shared bedrooms and the house had one bathroom. Clothes was hung on the line and you used the same towel several times. Now, homes have 3,4,5 bathrooms and we use several towels with each shower that are washed and dryed with electricity. Air conditioning is considered a necessity not a luxuary.

Families used to share one car, now houses have 2,3,4 car garages. People waste so much energy it is not funny. Look at the size of refrigerators now a days. Everyone has to have hair dryers, hair straighteners, curlers, curling irons etc.

People used to wear clothes more than one time before they cleaned then (like jeans).

We are a spoiled wasteful society. When was the last time you ate leftovers?

We have to drive farther to make more money to buy all this crap when you could just have a local job and get by and save gasoline.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What a crock, and like most Coulterites, I bet you really believe the Republican hype.

Believe it? I live it! I am the poster boy for Conservatism. How much money have you raised for your candidate Pete? Do you even know who your voting for yet?