• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economics of scarcity, value, and eternal life

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
In economics, scarcity drives value through the mechanisms of supply and demand. Items in short supply relative to demand are valued more highly, while those in abundant supply relative to demand are not as valued. In theory, a limitless supply of something would imply it had no economic value (utility).

On another forum, someone said that those who do not believe in the afterlife would be depressed and find this life meaningless. I argued that the opposite would be true: It’s the very fact that this life is limited that gives it value. That got me wondering about eternity…

If there’s an eternal afterlife, would it have any value, since there’s an infinite supply? Obviously I’m not talking about economic value in the sense of a monetary price, but it in the sense of utility. If you know you have eternal life, would you value it?

Is there some other kind of “need” in Heaven? If so, what is scarce there such that it generates a need and therefore value? Is there some kind of value that is not based on need? If the concepts of supply and demand do not apply there, would the concept of value still apply?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Unfortunately, the economics of consumerism do not apply to spirituality. Consumerism assumes a need and a limited supply to fill it, and is driven by these assumptions. The Spirit assumes no need and no supply. It justassumes Being.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
sojourner said:
Unfortunately, the economics of consumerism do not apply to spirituality.
Thanks, sojourner. Yeah, it's a silly question, but it seems to me that how we value things ties to scarcity. For example, would we value or even perceive joy if it were infinite? Would we even have a concept of value? Could joy be perceived, for example, without some kind of relative referent and measure and value?

Yes, I admit being stuck in the consumerist mindset, and part of the reason for the thread is to get help seeing the way out.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Outstanding topic and question. Bravo!!!

I think an eternity of suffering would have some serious negative value, but an eternity of an absence of suffering, or bliss, or whatever, would doubtless get old after a while. I think that we as humans value our relationships with one another based in large part on the fact that such relationships will at some point end.

I love my wife more than I can even express in words, and someday, we will not be together. One of us will die, or she will finally decide she can do better, and move on to a better man, and it is this knowledge that makes me cherish every happy moment I have with her.

I love my kids and would do anything I can for them, but they are eventually going to grow up and not be kids anymore. The fact that there childhood is finite, is why it is so incredibly special. My youngest is 5, and she is only going to be 5 once. If she was 5 for forever, losing those teeth would be no big deal, but because she only has baby teeth for a little while, losing them and growing adult teeth is a big deal.

The concept of eternal reward vs. eternal suffering likely grew out of human's knowledge of their own mortality and the inherent uneasy feelings that come with that knowlege. But on closer examination, an eternity spent in any one condition, even a positive one, would likely be difficult to bear, and what would originally be a positive condition would get old. Everything does, after a while. I love t-bone steaks, but I would very quickly get over that if I had them for breakfast lunch and dinner every day.

B.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
she will finally decide she can do better, and move on to a better man
Luckily for you, Chuck Norris is already taken. ;)

The concept of eternal reward vs. eternal suffering likely grew out of human's knowledge of their own mortality and the inherent uneasy feelings that come with that knowlege.
Agreed! Very well put.

Random

Wandered Off said:
Is there some other kind of “need” in Heaven? If so, what is scarce there such that it generates a need and therefore value? Is there some kind of value that is not based on need? If the concepts of supply and demand do not apply there, would the concept of value still apply?

It would if you believe that things like life and existence have intrinsic value.

Ozzie

Wandered Off said:
In economics, scarcity drives value through the mechanisms of supply and demand. Items in short supply relative to demand are valued more highly, while those in abundant supply relative to demand are not as valued. In theory, a limitless supply of something would imply it had no economic value (utility).

On another forum, someone said that those who do not believe in the afterlife would be depressed and find this life meaningless. I argued that the opposite would be true: It’s the very fact that this life is limited that gives it value. That got me wondering about eternity…

If there’s an eternal afterlife, would it have any value, since there’s an infinite supply? Obviously I’m not talking about economic value in the sense of a monetary price, but it in the sense of utility. If you know you have eternal life, would you value it?

One thing missing here is quality of life. I suppose that's why Heaven is painted as Paradise we achieve through material deprivation in this life. Accordingly I would expect to find much more Spam than Caviar on the shelves of a bomb shelter owned by a fundamentalist intent on sitting out an expected Armaggedon in 2012.