• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economic Slavery

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Treat every bad interaction with an employer as your
full responsibility.
It's my responsibility when I have a degree of control over it. But when a post 30-day training/probation period raise takes a year to get to me, there's nothing there that is my responsibility. Just managers with empty promises to get the paperwork through.
I have a recommendation.....
It did me better to work on interview and conversation skills. It was a great day when I was hired for something I had to actually interview for, and that position wasn't bad. Just getting hired felt like a tremendous accomplish and major milestone being able to clear an interview. And it was so much better than working for a place who will hire anyone desperate enough to apply.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's my responsibility when I have a degree of control over it. But when a post 30-day training/probation period raise takes a year to get to me, there's nothing there that is my responsibility. Just managers with empty promises to get the paperwork through.

It did me better to work on interview and conversation skills. It was a great day when I was hired for something I had to actually interview for, and that position wasn't bad. Just getting hired felt like a tremendous accomplish and major milestone being able to clear an interview. And it was so much better than working for a place who will hire anyone desperate enough to apply.
You took control.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You took control.
Where I could. Like the manager who gave away my shifts and gave me demeaning tasks, I was able to get rid of her but she did become someone else's problem so the problem wasn't fully resolved or addressed. It just got her out of the store I was in, a location where employee complaints against her were stacking up, and shipped off to be a problem manager elsewhere.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Based on what I heard, it's not uncommon for businesses with cash flow problems to be "late" on wage payouts, "forget" about extra hours worked, and similar shenanigans.

It is not uncommon for a business that is failing. That is not a strategy that makes a business money. The penalties tend to be much more than any savings and the courts are fairly quick to enforce them. It happened to me once. Out of the blue I was called by a restaurant that I worked at and told "Don't come in today". I asked what I did wrong and they quickly explained that it was not me. It was the restaurant. It had gone out of business. No warning, well the last paychecks of some employees bounced. But even those were quickly paid. It was rather sad. I liked the place. There were two restaurants. Our original one and a second one that they tried to go a little more upscale with. It died and took the restaurant that I worked at with it. Us poor peons at the original one had no clue how bad it was.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is not uncommon for a business that is failing. That is not a strategy that makes a business money. The penalties tend to be much more than any savings and the courts are fairly quick to enforce them. It happened to me once. Out of the blue I was called by a restaurant that I worked at and told "Don't come in today". I asked what I did wrong and they quickly explained that it was not me. It was the restaurant. It had gone out of business. No warning, well the last paychecks of some employees bounced. But even those were quickly paid. It was rather sad. I liked the place. There were two restaurants. Our original one and a second one that they tried to go a little more upscale with. It died and took the restaurant that I worked at with it. Us poor peons at the original one had no clue how bad it was.
That's crap they didn't notify you ahead of time so you (and the other employees) could prepare for it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's crap they didn't notify you ahead of time so you (and the other employees) could prepare for it.
No doubt. I found another job no problem but that was a small restaurant that was almost like family. We still had a big party there after it closed. The owners were rather sorry and at least made it right with employees pay wise.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It is not uncommon for a business that is failing. That is not a strategy that makes a business money.
It causes them to lose less money in the short run, which is sufficient motivation for a sufficient number of them.
The trick, apparently, is to have employees too poor, uneducated or foreign to go to court over it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Based on what I heard, it's not uncommon for businesses with cash flow problems to be "late" on wage payouts, "forget" about extra hours worked, and similar shenanigans.
You heard wrong. Typically, pay wages first.
To not do it would bring disaster.
What loses priority?
- Material suppliers
- Contractors
- Property taxes <--- Can go for a couple years.
- Payroll taxes <--- Really bad idea to get behind.
- Rent
This is what I've observed in many businesses here.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You heard wrong. Typically, pay wages first.
To not do it would bring disaster.
What loses priority?
- Material suppliers
- Contractors
- Property taxes <--- Can go for a couple years.
- Payroll taxes <--- Really bad idea to get behind.
- Rent
This is what I've observed in many businesses here.
I don't think he realizes that there is very strong protection of employees wages when it comes to businesses. If they declare bankruptcy the employees are the first ones compensated.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It causes them to lose less money in the short run, which is sufficient motivation for a sufficient number of them.
The trick, apparently, is to have employees too poor, uneducated or foreign to go to court over it.
There's no trick. That's an easy win complaint. One way or another, the employee is mandated to pay wages. There is no wiggle room around it. You show it happened and you are entitled to that money. The courts have already ruled and made it law.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I don't think he realizes that there is very strong protection of employees wages when it comes to businesses. If they declare bankruptcy the employees are the first ones compensated.
First of all - that depends highly on what jurisdiction we're talking about; US law doesn't apply globally.
Second of all - I wasn't talking about declaring bankrupcy, but about the practices of operating, factually existing businesses.
Third of all - I am not talking in general abstract terms, but about concrete examples that I've observed.

Fourth of all - pretending that I'm not part of this conversation is a very rude way of responding to my points. If you didn't like my attitude or find what I am writing inane or false, then I should at least expect the very basic level of honesty to tell me directly.
Don't you think so?