• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economic Slavery

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And these overhead costs is why Bezos is only a multi billionaire and not a trillionair.
I recall that as a start-up, Amazon lost money for many many years.
Overhead & direct costs can eat a business alive.
One must stay on top of accounting & finances.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And you can always tell when someone has never worked in their life when they conflate wages with net income.
Not even close to being the same thing. Unless one is very well off net income is nowhere near half of one's wages. Are you suddenly on the side of the wealthy?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's almost as if it pays to push costs onto other people while retaining income.

But what does a lowly peon as I know about business, eh.
I am not a fan of Uber. I like the competition they give to taxis, but I am afraid that they may be exploiting existing the assets of their drivers without fully paying them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...conflate wages with net income.
They function similarly.
Back when I earned a wage, that was my taxable net income.
Owning a business, my net income is my taxable wage.
The big difference?
Business income is reported on IRS form Schedule E or C.
Wages go straight from the W2 to 1040.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If it weren't worth it to the drivers,
they would stop doing it.
They may be similar to Amway dealers. Though not abused as badly. I am not sure if one could maintain a car and replace it when necessary with what an Uber driver makes. The company may be relying on existing assets of others and tossing them to the side when those assets have been depleted. Though I may have heard only from disgruntled exdrivers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They may be similar to Amway dealers. Though not abused as badly. I am not sure if one could maintain a car and replace it when necessary with what an Uber driver makes. The company may be relying on existing assets of others and tossing them to the side when those assets have been depleted. Though I may have heard only from disgruntled exdrivers.
For people who already own cars, putting them to use
making money makes sense. But as with any business,
one must consider maintenance, depreciation, &
replacement costs in one's financial analysis.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For people who already own cars, putting them to use
making money makes sense. But as with any business,
one must consider maintenance, depreciation, &
replacement costs in one's financial analysis.
True, and many people unfortunately spend all of their earnings immediately rather than reinvesting as needed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It will be a learning experience.
Everyone I know in business was taught by their failures.
Sadly only for the successful. There are those that cannot learn. The immediate reward is all that matters.

On a related note, what business owner has not gone a month or two without pay? The number one rule is to pay employees first.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sadly only for the successful. There are those that cannot learn. The immediate reward is all that matters.

On a related note, what business owner has not gone a month or two without pay? The number one rule is to pay employees first.
Even in years when I had no net income, I always paid
suppliers & workers.
One lender didn't get paid during a particularly rough patch.
It would've, if it had cooperated. But RBS (Royal Bank of
Scotland, owned by the Brit government) was unwilling.
My loans were sold at deep discount to an Ameristanian
private equity company....a much better player, so we
both profited.
RBS lost money.
Good.
Ding dang foreign government screwing up real estate here.
Their only goal seemed to be enriching lawyers.
Now I only borrow from Ameristanian lenders who hold
their portfolio....not selling loans to evil ferriners.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Ebenezer, Ebenezer.......Jacob awaits you........booo booo (chains rattling )

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You mean that the money you collect isn't all profit?
You have costs?
That might could possibly be hard to explain to
young whippersnappers fresh from the nest with
no business experience.
Even regular employment tends to have expenses so I don't get how this is so common amd widespread.
Manpower or Kelly Services.
Last one of those I went through screw them. They gave a very wrong description of the job they sent me to, and it ended up being far more than I can actually do (particularly with my knees). They assured it wouldn't be that heavy (occasionally up to 50 pounds), they told me I may come across wet surfaces. In reality it was pushing buckets weighing hundreds of pounds and the entire work floor was flooded (no slip resistant shoes). I wasn't able to get up the next day.
He had one
permanent employee whom he never laid off, but he
paid her unemployment benefits while she worked for
him because she was laid off from a part time job
she had during her eligibility period with him.
Yes....he didn't lay her off....she still worked for him...
How does that work? How is that not fraud?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I am not a fan of Uber. I like the competition they give to taxis, but I am afraid that they may be exploiting existing the assets of their drivers without fully paying them.
It seems they are also exploiting legal loopholes that regulate taxi companies but not tech companies that just so happen to supply "independent contractors" that just so happen to be financially dependent on said tech company.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Not even close to being the same thing. Unless one is very well off net income is nowhere near half of one's wages. Are you suddenly on the side of the wealthy?
If we're going to be pedants about proper terminology, we should be equal opportunity pedants, don't you think?
Or is it somehow important to only be pedantic about terminology on the employer's side?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Based on what I heard, it's not uncommon for businesses with cash flow problems to be "late" on wage payouts, "forget" about extra hours worked, and similar shenanigans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even regular employment tends to have expenses so I don't get how this is so common amd widespread.
But since the IRS doesn't allow deductions for commuting
expense & ordinary work clothing (non-uniforms), they
don't think of these costs as reducing wages to "net income".
Last one of those I went through screw them. They gave a very wrong description of the job they sent me to, and it ended up being far more than I can actually do (particularly with my knees). They assured it wouldn't be that heavy (occasionally up to 50 pounds), they told me I may come across wet surfaces. In reality it was pushing buckets weighing hundreds of pounds and the entire work floor was flooded (no slip resistant shoes). I wasn't able to get up the next day.
You have a lot of bad experiences.
This cannot solely be the fault of all these employers.
If it were....then there's a conspiracy afoot to have
me lead a charmed life.
How does that work? How is that not fraud?
The intricacies of unemployment insurance allow it.
An employer is liable for unemployment insurance for
any employee who is laid off during an "eligibility period".
It doesn't matter who lays off the employee. And because
the other employer paid slightly more per hour, the employee
could turn down his offer of more hours, & still be entitled
to collect unemployment benefits from her current employer.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You have a lot of bad experiences.
This cannot solely be the fault of all these employers.
It is when you can't get anything better. That was another no interview position. I credit it all to that. Interviewers don't like short and specific answers that are only one or two sentences at the most.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is when you can't get anything better. That was another no interview position. I credit it all to that. Interviewers don't like short and specific answers that are only one or two sentences at the most.
I have a recommendation.....
Treat every bad interaction with an employer as your
full responsibility. Sure, the employer has faults...but
accept that you have the ability to deal with them, &
make situations work to your benefit.

Old Revoltifarian saying....
We are all capable of taking control when we have no control.