• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economic Inequality becoming Permanent in America

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Although there is still some upward mobility left in the American economic system, economic inequality has become increasingly permanent since 1987 according to a new report sponsored by the Brookings Institution. If you're rich to begin with, you're now more likely than ever to remain rich for your entire life. If you're poor to begin with, you are now more likely than ever to remain poor your entire life. In other words, American socioeconomic classes are becoming fixed.

Discuss.

Alceste

Vagabond
Although there is still some upward mobility left in the American economic system, economic inequality has become increasingly permanent since 1987 according to a new report sponsored by the Brookings Institution. If you're rich to begin with, you're now more likely than ever to remain rich for your entire life. If you're poor to begin with, you are now more likely than ever to remain poor your entire life. In other words, American socioeconomic classes are becoming fixed.

Discuss.

Ironic that you folks fought so hard to rid yourself of the royals.

Alceste

Vagabond
Do you mean the Koch Brothers?

I mean the original royals. Those German knob heads from England. The Koch brothers are kind if a crap substitute, if you ask me. They'll look terrible on your money. The queen looked kid of ok for a while there.

uberrobonomicon4000

Discuss.
Yeah, people who were rich 100 years ago remain rich because they made good investments (put their money in gold, etc.) in precious metals or things that would further promote future development of (a) the economy.

Those people can pass down their "riches" to future generations and they will never have to work a day in their life and can just make plans for future investments.

So if you have money it isn't hard to "make money". Just depends on how those people intend to invest it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I mean the original royals. Those German knob heads from England. The Koch brothers are kind if a crap substitute, if you ask me. They'll look terrible on your money. The queen looked kid of ok for a while there.

I was joking.

esmith

Veteran Member
It all depends on the self-sacrifice that one wants to make. As the previous poster opined, it all depends if you are comfortable where you are at. If you have the drive to succeed there is, normally, nothing stopping you but yourself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It all depends on the self-sacrifice that one wants to make. As the previous poster opined, it all depends if you are comfortable where you are at. If you have the drive to succeed there is, normally, nothing stopping you but yourself.

As it happens, that's not born out by the facts. But don't let facts get in the way of your theory.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
We all should have known the words of the Constitution were just put there to make the lower class people feel wanted and needed: "all men are created equal". It's like Jim Carrey said in 'Liar Liar', when his son said his teacher said all people are pretty on the inside, Jim Carrey said that that's just something that ugly people say. So we tell ourselves that all men are created equal, in order to make ourselves feel better. The fact is, people are not equal, at least not here. If you're not born rich (because there are no more rich people who earned their money, it was all inherited), you're not going to have a chance to move up. And it's these very same rich people who are attempting to do everything possible through politics to keep the poor people poor. Here's my question, what are all the rich people going to do when all the poor people have died of malnutrition, disease, etc, because there's no way a rich person would know how to go grocery shopping, fix their electronics, etc. Not to mention there won't be anyone to run the gas stations, restaurants, and everything else they take for granted.

esmith

Veteran Member

As it happens, that's not born out by the facts. But don't let facts get in the way of your theory.

Well let's take a look at a few self-made millionaires; Oh by the way they are all immigrants
Josie Natori, Lowell Hawthorne, Shama Kabani, Sergey Brin, Carlos Castro, and Jose Wilfredo Flores. But I can't leave out good ole Arnold Schwarzenegger. Now I could list Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Mark Allen, Scott McNealy, Vaughan Pratt, Vinod Khosla, Andy Bechtolsh, Bill Joy, Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore. I could probably go on but my internet provider says they are having weather problems and I'm down to below dial-up speed.

dust1n

Zindīq
Wow... well, that won me over. How could I argue with the statistical significance of a handful of people in a country of three hundred million?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Wow... well, that won me over. How could I argue with the statistical significance of a handful of people in a country of three hundred million?

You have to remember, most Americans don't have the drive to succeed. They're content to live off the government, in poor conditions, barely able to survive. The 1 % are that way because they're the only one's who actually wanted to do better for themselves, the rest are just too lazy and apathetic. Remember this, also, all rich and successful people are self-made, not one of them inherited their wealth. That's just liberal propaganda. [/end sarcasm]

dust1n

Zindīq
You have to remember, most Americans don't have the drive to succeed. They're content to live off the government, in poor conditions, barely able to survive. The 1 % are that way because they're the only one's who actually wanted to do better for themselves, the rest are just too lazy and apathetic. Remember this, also, all rich and successful people are self-made, not one of them inherited their wealth. That's just liberal propaganda. [/end sarcasm]

Even if all those examples were self-made, and there hundreds of thousands more like them, that doesn't really speak to the question of the likelihood that you or I am going to up in class, regardless how hard we try, and that if we don't, that any is evident about our character, work ethic, devotion, blah blah blah.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Even if all those examples were self-made, and there hundreds of thousands more like them, that doesn't really speak to the question of the likelihood that you or I am going to up in class, regardless how hard we try, and that if we don't, that any is evident about our character, work ethic, devotion, blah blah blah.

Yes, exactly. And here's something else that bothers me: all the talk that the rich pay enough in taxes, and shouldn't be taxed more, because they're the ones who create jobs with their money. But is this true? No, and here's why: the rich place the majority of their money in off-shore accounts, where it cannot be reached by the government for the purpose of taxation. And there it just sits, accruing interest, while, surprise, no jobs are created, all the while these rich people avoid paying taxes, because they pay people specifically to 'cook the books'. So, where does that leave the average person like you and me? Struggling to survive, while the government fails, the economy tanks, and the brainwashed amongst the common people keeps believing that conservatism and capitalism are working just fine.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The only way to stop the continual corporate take-over of America is to vote (D).

When I "see" the (R) brand has changed it's ways I may change MY ways.

esmith

Veteran Member
So, who is hindering a person from becoming "rich"? Also please explain how and why this is being done.