• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ecological Transition: EVs will replace all ICE cars

Heyo

Veteran Member
I am so thrilled.
I have a dream, guys. That we live in a world where in cities people go to work on bicycle or they take the electric train, or the electric bus.
Germany has already wonderful hydrogen-engine trains and Italy is buying them too.

Few cars, no traffic, bicycles everywhere. Beautiful.

Europe’s industry and the ecological transition
The hydrogen trains are not the best example. They are only going to replace the few diesel engines used on a few lines that aren't electrified. And parallel to the hydrogen engines, more lines are planned to be electrified.
What's more important is that dedicated bicycle lanes are build and that electric bicycles are becoming more common. Riding a bike has never been so attractive.
Public transport is fairly good in the centres.
It still sucks in rural areas. I couldn't live without a car.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The hydrogen trains are not the best example. They are only going to replace the few diesel engines used on a few lines that aren't electrified. And parallel to the hydrogen engines, more lines are planned to be electrified.
What's more important is that dedicated bicycle lanes are build and that electric bicycles are becoming more common. Riding a bike has never been so attractive.
Public transport is fairly good in the centres.
It still sucks in rural areas. I couldn't live without a car.
How do they work? I mean...the hydrogen trains?
Are the batteries so costly?
In Southern Italy we have plenty of internal, railway lines that are not electrified.
Hydrogen trains will be much, much, much cheaper than the process of electrifying them all.

PureX

Veteran Member
I am so thrilled.
I have a dream, guys. That we live in a world where in cities people go to work on bicycle or they take the electric train, or the electric bus.
Germany has already wonderful hydrogen-engine trains and Italy is buying them too.

The weather where I live is not going to allow anyone to bike to work, regularly. Neither will a lot of people's health. And trains cannot deliver people door to door. Your fantasy of eliminating individual transportation is a bust.

However, we could and should have moved to EVs a long time ago. SMALL ones that require little space and less energy. Weatherized glorified golf carts, essentially. Then use trains for longer distances.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The weather where I live is not going to allow anyone to bike to work, regularly. Neither will a lot of people's health. And trains cannot deliver people door to door. Your fantasy of eliminating individual transportation is a bust.

However, we could and should have moved to EVs a long time ago. SMALL ones that require little space and less energy. Weatherized glorified golf carts, essentially. Then use trains for longer distances.

I understand. :)
I didn't mean in the US, specifically. Which is made up of big, enormous spaces.
I was focusing more on tiny Europe.

I grew up in a hilly town where streets where basically three meters - five meters wide. Finding a ten meters wide street was a miracle. :)
Nobody should use the car in a town like that.
And by the way, the weather was perfectly fine, even in Winter.

Pete in Panama

I didn't mean in the US, specifically. Which is made up of big, enormous spaces.

I grew up in a hilly town where streets where basically three meters - five meters wide. Finding a ten meters wide street was a miracle. :)
Are u saying that your dream is only for some specific places and not for either the U.S. nor the world?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Are u saying that your dream is only for some specific places and not for either the U.S. nor the world?
I didn't mean to eliminate all cars.
Cars will be fundamental so people can move from place to place.
But on a daily basis, people will use, besides their own cars, and if possible, other means of transportations like electric buses, electric trains (subway, tramway) etc...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Hybrids would be nice for me.
Electrical infrastructure for pure EVs is
a long long way off from being practical.

I don't see why hybrids should be a solution.
Is ICE so irreplaceable?

I love the silence and the smoothness of EVs...
It's so spiritual...so candid...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't see why hybrids should be a solution.
Reasons for hybrids.....
- Electrical infrastructure is inadequate even for
the small number of EVs already on the road.
- Gas & diesel infrastructure functions well.
- Hybrids have lower emissions than IC vehicles
for short trips (the worst case for IC engines).
- Current EVs cannot do some jobs at all, eg,
snow plowing, heavy hauling.
Is ICE so irreplaceable?
Not in my lifetime.
I love the silence and the smoothness of EVs...
It's so spiritual...so candid...
I love me a loud behemoth rolling coal,
covering Teslas in soot.....not!
I like "golf carts". They're quiet.

PureX

Veteran Member

Also, instead of bicycles there are many electric scooters that older people where you live could use. It really is time for us to reinvent personal transportation, and make it more specific and efficient for the necessary use and location. Maybe even get away from personal ownership and have vehicles appropriate to the locale available for rent by the town or village, itself.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
EVs are inevitable, but it will be a gradual transition as things are slowly phased out in small steps. It won't happen overnight.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I love me a loud behemoth rolling coal,
covering Teslas in soot.....not!
I like "golf carts". They're quiet.

I had a boyfriend who was the most obsessed fan of F1.

I can't believe I dated him...I even hate the name...F1 :p let alone the sound of the TV, when he used to watch that infernal show.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had a boyfriend who was the most obsessed fan of F1.

I can't believe I dated him...I even hate the name...F1 :p let alone the sound of the TV, when he used to watch that infernal show.
Car racing never interested me,
& it always struck me as wasteful.

Wandering Monk

I am so thrilled.

Europe has an amazing mass transit system. The US does not. I would prefer more use of mass transit rather than EVs.

In Minneapolis during the 1950s, there were many streetcars until GM lobbied to have them destroyed and replaced with buses. They got their way. Picture stacks of streetcars being burned up. BTW, the buses were crap. Now the city is moving back toward light rail but at a stupendous cost. It would have been easier and cheaper to keep the streetcar lines and just upgrade over the decades.

I loved the mass transit in Frankfurt when I was stationed there. Easy to use, flexible, and cheap.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Europe has an amazing mass transit system. The US does not. I would prefer more use of mass transit rather than EVs.
A fundamental difference is that Europe is dense.
USA's population is much more spread out.
This makes mass transit less universally useful here.

I take mass transit when I'm in cities like DC & NYC.
But rail travel between cities is abysmal....spendy
& time consuming.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A fundamental difference is that Europe is dense.
USA's population is much more spread out.
This makes mass transit less universally useful here.

I take mass transit when I'm in cities like DC & NYC.
But rail travel between cities is abysmal....spendy
& time consuming.
Not to mention the roads.
Why do you think our cars are much smaller than the American ones?
With five meters wide streets in historical centers...I mean...duh... :)