• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eckankar, Hare Krishnas and Choosing a Religious Path

WillEast

Premium Member
Good day all,

This religious forum has brought together a great group of people. Would be nice if there was some chat function but the forum is a useful tool as well.

While I grew up a Catholic, I later on had an intense desire to explore the mysteries of reincarnation and to gain knowledge about the soul, God and related topics. I gained some value from Buddhism different Hindu sects as well as other groups. I had an intense desire to gain experience for myself rather than just read about. Books are nice but empty by themselves for me.

I started to study Eckankar for a few years but grew a bit frustrated because some of their promises about soul travel and past lives did not come about as quick as I thought. Maybe I should give it more time or maybe it is time to keep exploring. During the same time a friend took me to New Vrindaban in WV and I felt a connection to the Vedic and Indian culture. I started the japa every day but didn't notice too much benefit after a few months. While they do encourage attendance at local temples, the incense really bothers my throat and I cannot spend too much time there.

A this stage in my journey, I am not sure if I should be more patient and pick one path and stick with it or to keep exploring. Perhaps, spiritual progress takes longer than I thought. For that matter, I have to reflect on how to know which path to choose.

I would appreciate other people's insights, thoughts, suggestions.

Namaste, God Bless and Be Well,

-William

Kirran

Premium Member
Good day all,

This religious forum has brought together a great group of people. Would be nice if there was some chat function but the forum is a useful tool as well.

There used to be one, but people who wanted to chat were making use of dedicated external chat rooms instead so it was discontinued.

I had an intense desire to gain experience for myself rather than just read about. Books are nice but empty by themselves for me.

This is the most important part of this post, really. You need to experience for yourself, not take things as read. My own guru used to say 'Don't believe in God, for heaven's sake don't believe. Experience God for yourself!'

Find a practice that works for you, be it meditation, or worship, or study, or service. Find a way to keep up that connection in your life. Don't get too concerned about picking one identity or whatever that you feel you need to stick to, that'll only ultimately obstruct you.

You're in a great place :)