• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ebonics is important vernacular of the American English language

Is Ebonics an important vernacular form of American English to know?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Despite @Revoltingest correcting me on it, :p I'll point out what my English teacher told me "IQ tests are racist".

Ebonics is a vernacular form of American English, that is actually important to be well-versed in where I'm from or you will suffer much embarrassment if not be considered a racist honkey for not knowing it. Like , when I was working in the ghetto as a missionary at Saint Luke's mission of Mercy, Buffalo New York, some of the missionaries didn't know how to assist their clients in finding free clothing, food, or housing, due to a language gap of socio-economic factors.

You guys might actually not be aware of it and wouldn't know I used to speak in ebonics, and still occasionally do, because I like to study vocabulary, enhance my use of the English language to articulate myself, but having grown up in the ghetto and institutions, I didn't learn many of those vocabulary lessons from school, as I didn't make it in school.

An example of Ebonics would be:

"I'm planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19, then will proceed to relax with the Mother of my children and friends at my apartment" . In Ebonics, that would sound like:

"I'm finna get vaxed for MissRona , then finna chill wit my Baby mamma and hommies at the crib".

Well, this morning I got vaxed for Miss Rona. I don't have a Babymamma (thanks be to God), but do have some female acquaintances that are concerned. Getting vaxed for Miss Rona has left me tired and sleeping at my crib. I just threw in the term "babymamma" because it happens to be the one big issue I have with the vernacular of Ebonics.

Can babies be mammas?

I literally hear that term all the time, and just kinda needed a place to vent.

I personally feel that Ebonics might be further alienating people from society and making them score lower on IQ tests or perhaps IQ tests are indeed racist.

Also, aren't cribs for babies? I'm done referring to my apartment as a crib (and I'm done letting my hommies of any ethnic background crash there, as stuff gets stolen).

I'm just wondering if you have thoughts about ebonics and if it is a vernacular of the English language you would like to study more. If you wish to live in some of the places I often find myself living in, impoverished situations or jails, it is very important.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Despite @Revoltingest correcting me on it, :p I'll point out what my English teacher told me "IQ tests are racist".

Ebonics is a vernacular form of American English, that is actually important to be well-versed in where I'm from or you will suffer much embarrassment if not be considered a racist honkey for not knowing it. Like , when I was working in the ghetto as a missionary at Saint Luke's mission of Mercy, Buffalo New York, some of the missionaries didn't know how to assist their clients in finding free clothing, food, or housing, due to a language gap of socio-economic factors.

You guys might actually not be aware of it and wouldn't know I used to speak in ebonics, and still occasionally do, because I like to study vocabulary, enhance my use of the English language to articulate myself, but having grown up in the ghetto and institutions, I didn't learn many of those vocabulary lessons from school, as I didn't make it in school.

"I'm planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19, then will proceed to relax with the Mother of my children and friends at my apartment" . In Ebonics, that would sound like:

"I'm finna get vaxed for MissRona , then finna chill wit my Baby mamma and hommies at the crib".

Well, this morning I got vaxed for Miss Rona. I don't have a Babymamma (thanks be to God), but do have some female acquaintances that are concerned. Getting vaxed for Miss Rona has left me tired and sleeping at my crib. I just threw in the term "babymamma" because it happens to be the one big issue I have with the vernacular of Ebonics.

Can babies be mammas?

I personally feel that Ebonics might be further alienating people from society and making them score lower on IQ tests or perhaps IQ tests are indeed racist.

Also, aren't cribs for babies? I'm done referring to my apartment as a crib (and I'm done letting my hommies of any ethnic background crash there, as stuff gets stolen).

I'm just wondering if you have thoughts about ebonics and if it is a vernacular of the English language you would like to study more. If you wish to live in some of the places I often find myself living in, impoverished situations or jails, it is very important.

Hm. I guess I'm so used to hearing it, I don't even think about it anymore. Its not something I often personally speak, but I am used to hearing it, and communicating back and forth with people who are using it.

I do think it is important for some segments of the population to know. If you're working with people who us Ebonics, its helpful to at least understand the people you're around. Kinda like working with people who speak Spanish will wield better results if you yourself speak Spanish...

Honestly, I like hearing Ebonics. I don't think I'd ever use it currently(though bits and pieces crept into my vocabulary when I was in school, and was around it all day), but I associate it with people from my younger years, and with living in da 'Hood(which I miss very much).

I think IQ tests are pointless in general. Really, what does one get out of them? I can see your point, though, about them being divisive being as they target (or leave out) specific populations.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Ebonics does not matter to me, but you can put the IQ tests into Ebonics format. At first you won't be able to make the tests equal. There will be problems at first, because at first the test scores will be statistically useless, probably for years. They won't mean anything at first. Everything has to be statistically significant, because you've got to be able to guarantee that a person who gets score X on the Ebonics test has about the same IQ as a student who gets the same score X on the English test. There must eventually be one IQ score, and to make that possible with different languages you've got to study the scores, the students and the results until you can establish a relation between the two tests.

I think you'll have to collect test scores for years to establish a statistical connection for the scoring. Its hard to compare the IQ tests of people who take it in any different languages, but with ebonics it will be even harder to make the scores meaningful. At first you will have 2 scores, not a single score. Over time that could improve as data was collected about Ebonics test takers as they progressed through college afterwards and as the tests were further improved.

Now...I don't write IQ tests. I have taken something like one, and I wonder who writes them what gives them the authority to guarantee a score should be some number? Well, I think they use statistical controls, study how accurately past tests have predicted the success of college students. That's how they get the authority.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Ebonics does not matter to me, but you can put the IQ tests into Ebonics format. At first you won't be able to make the tests equal. There will be problems at first, because at first the test scores will be statistically useless, probably for years. They won't mean anything at first. Everything has to be statistically significant, because you've got to be able to guarantee that a person who gets score X on the Ebonics test has about the same IQ as a student who gets the same score X on the English test. There must eventually be one IQ score, and to make that possible with different languages you've got to study the scores, the students and the results until you can establish a relation between the two tests.

I think you'll have to collect test scores for years to establish a statistical connection for the scoring. Its hard to compare the IQ tests of people who take it in any different languages, but with ebonics it will be even harder to make the scores meaningful. At first you will have 2 scores, not a single score. Over time that could improve as data was collected about Ebonics test takers as they progressed through college afterwards and as the tests were further improved.

Now...I don't write IQ tests. I have taken something like one, and I wonder who writes them what gives them the authority to guarantee a score should be some number? Well, I think they use statistical controls, study how accurately past tests have predicted the success of college students. That's how they get the authority.
Very thoughtful post! :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Can babies be mammas?

Oh Tay.

iirc, IQ tests can vary around 20 points among individuals taking multiple tests which says a lot about their accuracy

You can also increase people's IQ by paying them to do well as motivation impacts score and IQ tests are boring and pointless.

Also if you spent a year just doing IQ tests you would do better at IQ tests but wouldn't be more intelligent. If you spent the year reading valuable texts you might be more intelligent, but wouldn't necessarily improve your IQ.

They don't test intelligence, just ability to think about meaningless linear problems without context or consequence. The real world is not like this.

I'd say anyone who thinks IQ is a metric for intelligence fails the intelligence test.