• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating your best friends

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
For the last several years I have experienced increasing guilt when eating meat, especially red meat. When I was younger my logical, moral mind sat in the 'back seat' while Mr testosterone was the actual driver in my life. He heavily influenced or made many of my life choices. So if something had to die for me to enjoy a good steak, well, I gave little thought to the cow that was slaughtered just so I could indulge one of my desires. As time passed my conscious slowly began talking to me. Still Mr Testosterone would rationalize saying things like; "you need the protein and minerals only a good bloody steak could provide'. Or the evergreen* excuse,"cows are stupid and are not self aware.... or this one; 'even my religion says men have dominion over the 'lower animals'.
Well for some reason the excuses and rationalizations I used for so long to soothe my guilt stopped working. Today, in my world all those rationalizations and more are weak. The truth is I knew intuitively even as a very young lad eating animals was wrong. If starvation was the issue killing may be a necessity rather than a desire. Of course that necessity would be to sustain life. Eh, that would be my important life, eh? And morally speaking what of the necessity of life and death of the animal I was going to eat? If I were not a Christian I might think the Universe, if it were made an un-biased judge, would judge both the man and the food animal have equal rights to live! Well I am going off on a weird tangent. Ok... the talking point I began this thread was to be; How do you personally rationalize killing and eating a once living, breathing creature? We know that creature may possess the capacity to love and to experience pain, loss and sadness.

Oops gotta go my little pink sausages** are burning.....

footnotes;

*evergreen means a saying etc that never dies...

** I have cut back. Almost zero red meat and all other meat consumption has been reduced ~

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Friends are tasty.
Especially friend chicken.

giphy.gif

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

I can still eat plain old chicken or turkey, so, so far so good! I have never tried friend chicken...I have had to eat crow, but its hard to swallow!

question for grammar people...How should I word this; I have never tried friend chicken....and this 'I have had' to eat crow...

Sometimes I intentionally use hillbilly grammar but often times its not intentional. I despised english grammar, and I suppose it shows.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member

giphy.gif
I was at a foster home as a kid...and we would chop off chicken's heads with an ax, and they would run around headless...and unlike my foster parent, i would have to hit the chicken over and over again before its head would come off, then the chicken would be dipped in hot water, the features pulled out, then all the guts pulled out, and let me tell ya, it was a process that decreased my pleasure in eating chicken ;)

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I was at a foster home as a kid...and we would chop off chicken's heads with an ax, and they would run around headless...and unlike my foster parent, i would have to hit the chicken over and over again before its head would come off, then the chicken would be dipped in hot water, the features pulled out, then all the guts pulled out, and let me tell ya, it was a process that decreased my pleasure in eating chicken ;)
I had to do that too for a Hindu ritual, but we just slit the chicken's throat. then butchered it on the front porch. It wasn't the most pleasant experience but the bumbu ayam was quite delicious.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Not to mention, when they pull the guts out, they put their hand and forearm up its mutilated as* :eek:

ecco

Veteran Member
well, I gave little thought to the cow that was slaughtered

People breed and raise cattle with the intention of selling them for food.

If people didn't eat beef, people would not breed and raise cattle. Millions of cows owe their very existence to people eating beef.

Which is better, existing, eating, sleeping, pursuing a cow's life and, eventually, being killed, or never having existed at all?

What's your own preference? Would you prefer having lived through even just early adulthood to never having lived at all?

Phantasman

For the last several years I have experienced increasing guilt when eating meat, especially red meat. When I was younger my logical, moral mind sat in the 'back seat' while Mr testosterone was the actual driver in my life. He heavily influenced or made many of my life choices. So if something had to die for me to enjoy a good steak, well, I gave little thought to the cow that was slaughtered just so I could indulge one of my desires. As time passed my conscious slowly began talking to me. Still Mr Testosterone would rationalize saying things like; "you need the protein and minerals only a good bloody steak could provide'. Or the evergreen* excuse,"cows are stupid and are not self aware.... or this one; 'even my religion says men have dominion over the 'lower animals'.
Well for some reason the excuses and rationalizations I used for so long to soothe my guilt stopped working. Today, in my world all those rationalizations and more are weak. The truth is I knew intuitively even as a very young lad eating animals was wrong. If starvation was the issue killing may be a necessity rather than a desire. Of course that necessity would be to sustain life. Eh, that would be my important life, eh? And morally speaking what of the necessity of life and death of the animal I was going to eat? If I were not a Christian I might think the Universe, if it were made an un-biased judge, would judge both the man and the food animal have equal rights to live! Well I am going off on a weird tangent. Ok... the talking point I began this thread was to be; How do you personally rationalize killing and eating a once living, breathing creature? We know that creature may possess the capacity to love and to experience pain, loss and sadness.

Oops gotta go my little pink sausages** are burning.....

footnotes;

*evergreen means a saying etc that never dies...

** I have cut back. Almost zero red meat and all other meat consumption has been reduced ~
Imagining spirits in animals can misguide thinking. A cow 5000 years ago are the same as a cow today.

Christ said that "it is not what goes into the the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out of it, that can defile the man".

Flesh (physical) profits nothing. Seek the spiritual.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I lived in China for nine years, and found the Chinese to be the most omnivorous of all cultures consuming everything remotely edible except fellow humans. Many in the west consider dogs humans best friends among various minorities in China and neighboring countries dogs are both best friends and the center piece of many meals. I visited a town once that specialized in raising dogs, and had a dog market at least five blocks long down main street. You could buy your best friend for the couch, a guard dog, trained seeing eye or disability dog, or buy one for the main course for dinner.

Evidence indicates that humans evolved as highly omnivorous like the Chinese, and diet was highly dependent on pragmatic considerations of climate and opportunity for food availability. Evidence indicates that humans ma have been on the menu of some cultures, but it is not common.

All the research at present indicates that our digestive evolved to be highly omnivorous with only one or possible a few neolithic cultures with limited vegetarian diets.

Last edited:

Jumi

Mr Testosterone and Mrs Estrogen like some meat but not too often, fish a bit more often and lots of greens, fruits, berries...

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I hate to leave right now but we have to go to my son's house for steaks,
see you later you cannibals !

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The food chain rules throughout the history and evolution of life. All life has a purpose in the food chain, and they are eaten by something or someone alive or dead.