• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating meat & Buddhism

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Most butchers may be non Buddhists but there certainly are plenty of Buddhist fisherman

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Those belong to the untouchable caste, they are not Buddhist - in any case, there is no caste in Buddhism. In fact the whole article does not have the word buddhist in it.

I was looking into this a bit too. Buddhism first arose in India where the caste system is very strong. Tibet is right next door and is largely Hindu. At any rate they pointed out that Buddhism is a caste-less religion and that many early converts were low caste individuals that were not satisfied being in a belief system that was largely designed to "keep them in their place". I don't think that Buddhism has ever existed in a religious vacuum.

ajay0

Those belong to the untouchable caste, they are not Buddhist - in any case, there is no caste in Buddhism. In fact the whole article does not have the word buddhist in it.

They are the tibetan feudal system. A feudal system existed in Japan as well with the samurai and so on , and the lower classes just as in feudal europe.

ajay0

Non-vegetarianism is not a rigid principle in Buddhism. Even the Buddha ate meat when it was offered to him as alms by lay disciples, though he discouraged its eating if one is in pursuit of higher states of meditation and Nirvana.

Similarly most lay Hindus and Buddhists eat meat from what I know, though many abstain for better depth in meditation as an austerity, or as a principle of virtuous conduct.

ManofIslam

I've just read Acts 10:11-16, in The Christian Holy Bible; but the point is: who, exactly, wrote this? Maybe it's not the Word of God?! (I used to be a Christian).