• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating meat & Buddhism

ajay0

Your exact words were: 'there are buddhist butchers'. So you should either name one buddhist butcher or show where you have heard of one. If you can't than you are just blowing smoke. In which case, you don't deserve a coherent response.

Here is a reference for what I was saying: Islam

Buddhism originated in the 5th century B.C., while Islam in the 7th century A.D.

Who provided meat to the Buddhist nonvegetarians from this time span of 12 centuries between the 5th century b.c and the 7th century a.d !

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Buddhism originated in the 5th century B.C., while Islam in the 7th century A.D.

Who provided meat to the Buddhist nonvegetarians from this time span of 12 centuries between the 5th century b.c and the 7th century a.d !
The non-buddhists (like the Bon is Tibet), today those are usually muslims.

ajay0

The non-buddhists (like the Bon is Tibet), today those are usually muslims.

But the tibetan lower class system also have butchers as well.

And buddhists were in sri lanka, india, burma, japan, china, thailand before the 7th century a.d.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
But the tibetan lower class system also have butchers as well.

And buddhists were in sri lanka, india, burma, japan, china, thailand before the 7th century a.d.
I am not sure what point you are making, there were many non-buddhists in those countries in that period to perform these jobs. Like I said, unless you are the only all-knowing brahmin butcher in the universe, you need to provide a reference for your statements. Otherwise you are just blowing smoke.

ajay0

I am not sure what point you are making, there were many non-buddhists in those countries in that period to perform these jobs. Like I said, unless you are the only all-knowing brahmin butcher in the universe, you need to provide a reference for your statements. Otherwise you are just blowing smoke.

The tibetan lower classes practiced butchery long before the advent of islam. Perhaps they had embraced islam afterwards but they were buddhist till then.

Here is an another major flaw in your argument.

Which brahmin caste or subcaste practices butchery !!

ajay0

Exactly my point - none that I know of, I don't believe any such exist. Now give a reference for your statement about buddhist butchers.

Here is one more reference for my statement: An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics

There is nothing in your reference that there never existed a buddhist butcher in history and there will never appear one.

It just states that butchers in buddhist society are usually non-buddhists, but there are buddhist butchers and like buddhist fishermen, they have a lower status in society. And this is the same in Hindu society too.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
There is nothing in your reference that there never existed a buddhist butcher in history and there will never appear one.

It just states that butchers in buddhist society are usually non-buddhists, but there are buddhist butchers and like buddhist fishermen, they have a lower status in society. And this is the same in Hindu society too.
Oh so there may have been one or two buddhist butchers? Actually the reference does not say there were any buddhist butchers, though it does mention fishermen - we are talking about meat. I am still waiting for some reference for your information that there are many buddhist butchers or even quite a few (so that some all-knowing brahmin can mention it as a fact).

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
God also says thou shalt not kill. Buddhists believe this applies to animals as well as people.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Fostering a culture of vegetarianism is equivalent to fostering a culture of non-violence and sensitivity, respect for all sentient life , and growing up in such a culture, a child is less inclined to violent tendencies or end up as a murderer, rapist, serial killer and so on.
Evidence?

ajay0

Oh so there may have been one or two buddhist butchers? e Actually the reference does not say there were any buddhist butchers, though it does mention fishermen - we are talking about meat. I am still waiting for some reference for your information that there are many buddhist butchers or even quite a few (so that some all-knowing brahmin can mention it as a fact).

The very fact that Buddhism existed for a long time prior to 7th century a.d. shows that there had been buddhist butchers involved. They were a part of Buddhist lower classes whose occupation was then later taken up by muslims or other groups
The westerner writer's superficial reference to eastern buddhism's dietery habits does not cover all the facts involved.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
The very fact that Buddhism existed for a long time prior to 7th century a.d. shows that there had been buddhist butchers involved. They were a part of Buddhist lower classes whose occupation was then later taken up by muslims or other groups
The westerner writer's superficial reference to eastern buddhism's dietery habits does not cover all the facts involved.
And as usual no references for your all knowing statements.