• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastern Orthodox: Shouldn't all churches join the WCC

Joannicius

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The World Council of Churches (WCC) is the broadest and most inclusive among the many organized expressions of the modern ecumenical movement, a movement whose goal is Christian unity.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The WCC brings together more than 340 churches, denominations and church fellowships in over 100 countries and territories throughout the world, representing some 400 million Christians and including most of the world's Orthodox churches, scores of denominations from such historic traditions of the Protestant Reformation as Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist and Reformed, as well as many united and independent churches. While the bulk of the WCC's founding churches were European and North American, today most are in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East and the Pacific.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For its member churches, the WCC is a unique space: one in which they can reflect, speak, act, worship and work together, challenge and support each other, share and debate with each other. As members of this fellowship, WCC member churches:
- are called to the goal of visible unity in one faith and one eucharistic fellowship;
- promote their common witness in work for mission and evangelism;
- engage in Christian service by serving human need, breaking down barriers between people, seeking justice and peace, and upholding the integrity of creation; and
- foster renewal in unity, worship, mission and service.
[/font]
If this is true, shouldn't all churches belong to the WCC?

notworthy.gif

No*s

Captain Obvious
Joannicius said:
If this is true, shouldn't all churches belong to the WCC?

notworthy.gif

I wouldn't say so for us, but other churches can do what they want there. I was no fan of the WCC before Orthodoxy, and I'm not one now.

Dialogue is one thing, joint prayer, worship services, etc. are a repudiation of the doctrine of "One Church" :(.

EDIT:

You might want to check the link on that image. It never displays for me.

Linus7

I think Orthodox Churches should get out of the WCC and the NCC as fast as they can.

The modern ecumenical movement - as represented by the WCC - is based on the lie that the Church of Christ is divided, its members scattered among the various sects of Christianity.

The latest ecumenist fashion is the "dialogue" with non-Christian religions.

If one accepts the idea that none of the Christian sects has a corner on the truth, it is not much of a leap in reasoning to conclude that perhaps Christianity itself does not have a corner on the truth either. Thus ecumenist liberals find "spiritual values" in all religions, even those whose doctrines are diametrically opposed to Christianity and represent an outright rejection of Jesus Christ.

Ecumenists proclaim that we all worship the same God in different guises. Even the Latin Church has fallen for this error. The current Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all worship the same God, as does Vatican II's decree on ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio.

That is why we have had the scandalous spectacles of the Pope kissing the Koran in 1999, Cardinal Law bowing to the floor and praying with Muslims inside a mosque in 2002, and the two syncretist "love-ins" at Assisi in 1986 and 2002.

The WCC and similar organizations are attempting to create a universal religion: the universal religion of the Antichrist.

We Orthodox have no business supporting them.

Natural Submission

The modern ecumenical movement - as represented by the WCC - is based on the lie that the Church of Christ is divided, its members scattered among the various sects of Christianity.

Unfortunately that IS the case. This is an unfortunate thing as Jesus taught Unity in all regards.

The latest ecumenist fashion is the "dialogue" with non-Christian religions.

WWJD? Is this not acceptable? Would Jesus abstain from such dialogs?
If one accepts the idea that none of the Christian sects has a corner on the truth, it is not much of a leap in reasoning to conclude that perhaps Christianity itself does not have a corner on the truth either.

Clearly Christianity has more than a "corner of truth", but is this waht THEY are saying, or YOU?

Thus ecumenist liberals find "spiritual values" in all religions, even those whose doctrines are diametrically opposed to Christianity and represent an outright rejection of Jesus Christ.

This too is perfectly acceptable. It is well known throughout the so-called "New" Testament that Jesus, the disciples, John, James and Paul ALL accepted the earlier teaching of the previous Prophets of the Tanakh. Thus one SHOULD study all divinely revealed religions to find "spiritual values" therein.

Ecumenists proclaim that we all worship the same God in different guises.

Who's "WE"? Did they specify? Many religions outrightly claim otherwise.

Even the Latin Church has fallen for this error.

Again, who do they claim worshipd the same God?

The current Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all worship the same God,

This is ABSOLUTELY correct. We must not let the language barrior lead us astray.

That is why we have had the scandalous spectacles of the Pope kissing the Koran in 1999

This is an outright attack and slander on Islam and such wickedness is not allowed on this forum.

5: So the tongue is a little member and boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire!
6: And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature, and set on fire by hell.
7: For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by humankind,
8: but no human being can tame the tongue -- a restless evil, full of deadly poison James 3:5-8

Cardinal Law bowing to the floor and praying with Muslims inside a mosque in 2002, and the two syncretist "love-ins" at Assisi in 1986 and 2002.

Are you against peace and unity? WWJD?

The WCC and similar organizations are attempting to create a universal religion: the universal religion of the Antichrist.

This is an attack on the WCC as well as all religions, you have insulted many with you poisonous tongue, i suggest you apologize to the members of this forum.

We Orthodox have no business supporting them.

This is your misled opinion.

Matrona

Natural Submission said:
Unfortunately that IS the case. This is an unfortunate thing as Jesus taught Unity in all regards.

WWJD? Is this not acceptable? Would Jesus abstain from such dialogs?

This is ABSOLUTELY correct. We must not let the language barrior lead us astray.

This is an outright attack and slander on Islam and such wickedness is not allowed on this forum.
Hi there Natural Submission.

I just reviewed the forum rules and there's nothing in there about having to subscribe to your beliefs regarding Christianity and its relationship with other religions, but there is something in there about going into a forum of another religion and debating there. Are you Orthodox?

Good post, Linus! Tell it like it is.

Natural Submission

This has nothing to do with my beliefs. This person slandered Islam and Muslims directly. He criticized the Pope spoke down upon him. He criticized all religions but his own.

i was once spoke out against a specific sect of a religion and i was told not to speak in such a manner and my post was erased. i was under the impression we were to respect all religions regardless. i didn't know we could bash and slander other religions so long as we stay in our own section...But this is not my forum, if nobody has a problem with it, i guess i can't say much.

Master Vigil

Lets not debate people. This is a discussion section, if you want to debate, start a new thread in the debates section.

Joannicius

I agree with you Linus and we must get out, at least those of us who believe that Our Lord established a Church that the gates of Hell will NOT prevail over, and know that we are in that Church to attain salvation and share with as many as we can while we do.

Any entity that is connected to the anathema of the UN is not something we should identify with, for it is not us and does not have the best interest of mankind at it's heart. With these many and varied institutions underlies the philosophy that the ones who are in authority have the right to rule over all aspects of our lives and are working hard and fast toward that end. It will culminate in either the antichrist himself being in charge or it will set the world up for his takeover. IMO

No*s

Captain Obvious
This thread is getting awfully charged :(. We aren't exactly endearing ourselves to other people here. I don't support the NCC or WCC in any way...I didn't even before finding Orthodoxy. However, this entire forum is a forum about the dialogue between religions. We must maintain our stances, but at the same time, we must also watch our tone. Taking the wrong tone can only serve to drive people away from Orthodoxy and be a pitfall to ourselves on account of the spirit that engenders. Speaking the truth cannot be an excuse for being rude or using derogatory language.

We simply need to be careful.

Sava

I[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t is impossible for the Orthodox to pursue [/font]"[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]unity in one faith and one eucharistic fellowship" with those who ordain women and open homosexuals. The Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church of the 7 Ecumenical Councils. All are welcome to join in the unity of the One faith, and the One Eucharistic fellowship - it already exists. There is no point in trying to create another one with false ecumenism.
[/font]

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm moving this to the Same Faith debates forum, since it seems to be a hot topic for EO. Those not EO should refrain from posting in this thread from now on. You are welcome to start another thread in Religious debates, however.