• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastern Medicine

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
When I walk into a pharmacy, along with vitamins and medicine, there are racks of herbs and spices and roots and leaves and bark and whatever you call thems that claim to have some sort of health or healing benefit. I think ginseng was probably the first one I heard of. Many of the diet pills and rapid weight loss pills have these exotic asian ingredients in them. Alot of herbal teas have some strange ingredients in them too. I've take Ripped Fuel before which has ginseng, kola nut, guarana and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. It basically feels like a caffien pill but alot more expensive.
Has the US taken these asian plants and blown them way out of proportion? Are the uses of these medicines the same in the US as they are in asia? Do any of you use them and do they actually work? I know it's kind of vague but it's only because there's so many of them and I really don't know much about it or who to trust for information on it.

Hacker

Kungfuzed said:
When I walk into a pharmacy, along with vitamins and medicine, there are racks of herbs and spices and roots and leaves and bark and whatever you call thems that claim to have some sort of health or healing benefit. I think ginseng was probably the first one I heard of. Many of the diet pills and rapid weight loss pills have these exotic asian ingredients in them. Alot of herbal teas have some strange ingredients in them too. I've take Ripped Fuel before which has ginseng, kola nut, guarana and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. It basically feels like a caffien pill but alot more expensive.
Has the US taken these asian plants and blown them way out of proportion? Are the uses of these medicines the same in the US as they are in asia? Do any of you use them and do they actually work? I know it's kind of vague but it's only because there's so many of them and I really don't know much about it or who to trust for information on it.
Ginseng is known to increase oxygenation to the cells and tissues promoting detoxification, and stimulating regeneration of damaged cells. I take it daily, I have mega vitamins that have this listed
It says 4:1 Herbal stress and energy support
Eleuthro root, ginger, ginkgo, Astragalus root, Jujube fruit, Lycium berry, Dong Quai, Goto Kola, Chinese Peony and more. The vitamins are called Advanced Nutritional System Multivitamin and you can read about it more on their site....
www.rainbowlight.com
It's called Advanced Nutritional System Multivitamin(food based).

I swear that I experience an increase in vitality taking these, however the "placebo effect" can be very intense for some people.

Also, did you ever hear about Rhodiola Rosea? It's an awesome herb for stress, gastrointestinal ailments, mood, anemia, energy. THey used it in Russia and their is a book out about it called "The Miracle Of Rhodiola" or something like that. What kind of benefits are you searching for?

I also drink panax ginseng tea from yogi, along with green or white tea. I believe that plants were put on earth for healing intentions.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I wish there was a healthy replacement for caffien. Something strong that can wake me up. I've become quite dependant on coffie.

I've heard that ginko biloba will increase memory, but I'm skeptical about that. I work night shift and I'm not nearly as mentally alert as I'd like to be.

I sometimes take melatonin to help me sleep and that really works well, sometimes too well.

Hacker

Kungfuzed said:
I wish there was a healthy replacement for caffien. Something strong that can wake me up. I've become quite dependant on coffie.

I've heard that ginko biloba will increase memory, but I'm skeptical about that. I work night shift and I'm not nearly as mentally alert as I'd like to be.

I sometimes take melatonin to help me sleep and that really works well, sometimes too well.
I plan on working night shift when I get a job as a nurse, I'm like a vampire, I like the night especially in the winter.
But yeah, ginko is good for the memory since it increases oxygenation..especially to the brain. Did you ever read about Rhodiola Rosea? Read about it.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I'm strongly considering becomming a nurse as well. Right now I'm doing tech support. With the job market in the US the way it is I think it would be a smart move to switch careers. Are you going to school for it? There's a community college nearby that offers an associates in nursing. It sounds alot better than what I'm doing right now and pays alot better too.

Hacker

Kungfuzed said:
I'm strongly considering becomming a nurse as well. Right now I'm doing tech support. With the job market in the US the way it is I think it would be a smart move to switch careers. Are you going to school for it? There's a community college nearby that offers an associates in nursing. It sounds alot better than what I'm doing right now and pays alot better too.
Yes, healthcare is a great thing to get into. I'm currently finishing up my internship(working in the hospital with a mentor) and I graduate Dec 16, can't WAIT!!! The book work and studying stuff is all over thank goodness. I actually attended my local community college and they offer the full accelerated program there...you will be able to obtain your associates degree as opposed to hospital certificates which only get you so far. It's a 2 year program although you have to take some pre reqs like the sciences, maths, englishes, all of that stuff...but if you feel strongly about it, I'd do it!:yes:

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
tlcmel said:
Yes, healthcare is a great thing to get into. I'm currently finishing up my internship(working in the hospital with a mentor) and I graduate Dec 16, can't WAIT!!! The book work and studying stuff is all over thank goodness. I actually attended my local community college and they offer the full accelerated program there...you will be able to obtain your associates degree as opposed to hospital certificates which only get you so far. It's a 2 year program although you have to take some pre reqs like the sciences, maths, englishes, all of that stuff...but if you feel strongly about it, I'd do it!:yes:

I've already got a book on RN Pre-Entrance Exam. I also bought Gray's Anatomy for Students. I have about 6 to 9 months before I'll have enough money saved to start school so I'm going to cram in the meantime and ace all my classes. The only thing that might stop me is the promotion I applied for at work. If I get the promotion there will be no time for school since I won't have the option of dropping down to part time when I start taking classes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm skeptical about Eastern medicine myself. It's rooted more in folklore and tradition than in empirical science. Many reputable studies of "eastern" methodologies find no benefit in them. Recent, well designed studies that have made it into the mainstream press have found no therapeutic benefit to Echinacea or Ginko. Some time ago I read an article about a group of apparently healthy individuals who went to several traditional oriental practitioners in mainland China just out of curiosity and were diagnosed with a variety of ailments they never suspected they had -- and which subsequent exams by American physicians found no evidence of. Curiously, exams by several different Chinese doctors produced entirely different diagnoses in the same individuals.

Good luck with your medical careers, Ticmel & Kungfuzed. I've been a hospital RN for more years than I care to recall. Nursing has a few good points -- guaranteed employment anywhere in the country, decent pay, extremely flexible hours and a wide variety of job types. Apart from that, though, there's not much to recommend it (don't get me started...).

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
You can look into Ayurveda. I came across a website: http://www.ayurvedahc.com which seems to have a lot of information. There are forums on the site also. These are excerpts on Ayurveda:

“Ayurveda means the "science of life". It originated in India more than 10,000 years ago and is believed to be the oldest healing science in existence, from which all other systems emerged.”

“What Makes Ayurveda So Unique?

This spiritual science offers numerous unique benefits:
It looks at people as individuals, not as a generic group.
It heals from the root-cause of an illness, not merely treating the symptoms.
Only natural therapies are offered.
No side effects develop from the therapies.
Therapies are inexpensive and effective”

http://www.allayurveda.com seems to be another good site.