• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Asian country steps up brutal sharia laws

sooda

Veteran Member
Good to know. I'll make it a point to not buy shell gas anymore. It's typically overpriced as it is.

This isn't Shell's fault. Oil companies, if they are smart, don't meddle in internal politics.

I think the Sultan of Brunei is going to catch hell from the rest of the Muslim world and back down.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This isn't Shell's fault. Oil companies, if they are smart, don't meddle in internal politics.

I think the Sultan of Brunei is going to catch hell from the rest of the Muslim world and back down.

I think the Sultan of Brunei will not back down. I think Shell has partnered with religious zealots, and shell will end up suffering from the mistakes that Brunei makes.

...I don't feel sympathetic for shell -nobody should when considering that every gallon of shell gas sold is a profit for the Brunei government.

sooda

Veteran Member
I think the Sultan of Brunei will not back down. I think Shell has partnered with religious zealots, and shell will end up suffering from the mistakes that Brunei makes.

...I don't feel sympathetic for shell. Nobody should when considering that every gallon of shell gas sold is a profit for the Brunei government.

Most of the majors don't OWN any oilfields. They have to work with concession agreements.

The Sultan of Brunei and his brother are debauched nutjobs..

Audie

Veteran Member
He's a laughingstock... a boob.

As for this new ruling in Brunei, I don't expect it will stand.

I did not doubt that is what you meant to show
your lack of regard, which of course,you did.

However, what you said, was this-

Economic sanctions from Trump? He has no standing in the world.

Whet her you, or someone else happens to respect
Trump, his ability to impose sanctions and otherwise
affect the world / its leaders just as real.

As for the new laws in Brunei, they are based on
Islam, and imposed by people with the power to
make them stick.

We've yet to see you show you detect even the tiniest
shortcoming in the perfection of Islam.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Most of the majors don't OWN any oilfields. They have to work with concession agreements.

The Sultan of Brunei and his brother are debauched nutjobs..

You can try watering it down all you want, but the fact remains that the Brunei government profits big off of every gallon of shell gas sold around the world.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Brunei -- "next month the government plans to amend the penal code to mean LGBT people and adulterers could be stoned to death, with thieves facing having hands or feet amputated.

Amnesty International today slammed the plans, describing the Islamic criminal laws for gay sex and theft as 'vicious'."
Gay sex punishable by stoning to death under 'vicious' new Sharia laws brought in by Brunei | Daily Mail Online
oh oh....
I hope they don't have 'sleeper' cells where I live

maybe I should consider a change of avatar and call name

Cooky

Veteran Member
oh oh....
I hope they don't have 'sleeper' cells where I live

maybe I should consider a change of avatar and call name

Well, just your name alone suggests you should have your hands and feet chopped off. Good luck!

...But hey, no worries, someone here "thinks" they'll probably change their minds some day. Probably they won't kill too, too many people. So it's no biggie. In the meantime, we can all just rationalize Islam based constitutions / laws as normal and legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Secular governments have no inherent safe guards or fail safes to prevent them from enacting human rights abuses. Just as a dictator can be cruel or benevolent. Official state policy tends to take a back seat to leading governing narratives If this wasn't the case, Christians would find it extremely difficult to find any favorance from the officially secular US government - and also we could expect to find more religious policy in the officially religious Europe, but that isn't the case either.

Sure but when folks believe their authority comes from God, it's very hard to convince them otherwise. It's usually easier to get people to question human authority than divine authority.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Sure but when folks believe their authority comes from God, it's very hard to convince them otherwise. It's usually easier to get people to question human authority than divine authority.

Unfortunately, some people even have a hard time doing that... Questioning human authority that is.

Cooky

Veteran Member
...I don't know if It's the sign of a weak spirit, or of the hyper-civilized.

I guess It's either/or depending on who.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't think of any favorance that Christians receive from the US government.

...What exactly are you referring to?
Churches are tax exempt, the 10 Commandments are in display at court houses, In God We Trust is going to be on display in schools, and there is legislation on the books that is based on nothing more than Christian ideology, with a massive push for more.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
think it's more important that the government is practically secular than theoretically.
Far too many religiously 'inspired' policy decisions and votes in the US for it to be truly secular.
We have those policies and votes despite American being constitutionally secular. The Constitution officially bans tests of religious faith to hold public office. Some places, however, do indeed have tests of religious faith to hold public office and ban atheists from holding office.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's why narrative is more important. Officially, American and most of Europe are opposites in terms of state religion. In terms of policy, in many areas again they are opposites.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Churches are tax exempt, the 10 Commandments are in display at court houses, In God We Trust is going to be on display in schools, and there is legislation on the books that is based on nothing more than Christian ideology, with a massive push for more.

I think you put "Churches are tax except" in there just to make your list look long, knowing all along that all religious organizations are. Ditto with the "massive push for more".

...Basically, America is secular and there is no favorance to Christianity, certainly not on the federal level. The schools and courthouses stuff is all States issues, that are really non-issues.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We have those policies and votes despite American being constitutionally secular. The Constitution officially bans tests of religious faith to hold public office. Some places, however, do indeed have tests of religious faith to hold public office and ban atheists from holding office.

Folks just don't like atheists.

...and that they wouldn’t like their child marrying one.

2-9.png

Atheists Still America’s Most Disliked Group, Now Along with Muslims - Sociological Images

But in the Muslim communities, particularly in the sharia states of northern Nigeria, the situation is worse. Renouncing Islam and embracing atheism is like passing a death sentence on oneself. Renouncing Islam is apostasy, and apostasy is a crime punishable by death. Expressing atheistic views can easily be interpreted as a form of blasphemy. Blasphemy is a crime punishable by death. Expressing atheistic views can easily be taken to be an insult to Islam or to Allah or to his Prophet Muhammed. And all these are serious crimes in the eyes of Muslim fanatics in Nigeria. So there are two places for an atheist in sharia communities: in the closet or in the grave.
"There are two places for an atheist in sharia communities: the closet or the grave"

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The schools and courthouses stuff is all States issues, that are really non-issues.
Teaching creationism as science is an issue. Discrimination as a right is an issue. Requiring someone have a religion to hold office is an issue and illegal and unconstitutional.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And courts still want us to swear an oath to God.
But they've allowed me a secular oath to be truthful...on request.
The default is that everyone is a Christian.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And courts still want us to swear an oath to God.
But they've allowed me a secular oath to be truthful...on request.
The default is that everyone is a Christian.
Yup. I can't wait till I go to court to see what kind of glares and stares I get when instead of god and the Bible I swear to Lucifer. Though since I'm not in Indiana anymore I suspect I might be dreadfully disappointed when nobody even seems to notice.