• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Asian country steps up brutal sharia laws

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Quran makes it clear that homosexuality is a sin, but there's no mandate for Muslims to intervene, so it is not a crime. It's only the hadith that assert that being gay is criminal. The Quran does not. I can't find a single case where the Quran gives Muslims any mandate to aggress. They are commanded to defend the innocent from aggression and oppression. There's no mandate to initiate conflict with people for their sins
Muslims aren't just supposed to read the Quran, but several passages do indicate the Quran accepts the Prophets and Revelations of Judaism and Christianity (though with some disagreements, such as viewing Christ as a prophet rather than Messiah), and Sura 5:48 does say "to thee we sent the scripture, in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it..." Sura An-Nissa 4:136 indicates that Muslims accept the Psalms, and accepts David as their author.
The Bible DOES condemn homosexuals to death.

sooda

Veteran Member
Even if the witnesses are honest, the intent of government to kill people
who are guilty of things like apostasy & homosexuality is heinous.

Hold on there.. Homosexuality is not a death penalty offense.. and neither is apostasy unless its coupled with a murder conviction.

sooda

Veteran Member
Muslims aren't just supposed to read the Quran, but several passages do indicate the Quran accepts the Prophets and Revelations of Judaism and Christianity (though with some disagreements, such as viewing Christ as a prophet rather than Messiah), and Sura 5:48 does say "to thee we sent the scripture, in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it..." Sura An-Nissa 4:136 indicates that Muslims accept the Psalms, and accepts David as their author.
The Bible DOES condemn homosexuals to death.

Did you say Muslims aren't supposed to read the Koran?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hold on there.. Homosexuality is not a death penalty offense.. and neither is apostasy unless its coupled with a murder conviction.
It is in the following countries:
Afghanistan
Brunei
Iran
Mauritania
Sudan
Nigeria
Yemen
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Somalia
Is it mere coincidence that all countries that will execute homosexuals are also all Muslim nations?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eye witness testimony sucks. Even if the witness is being honest, there is a fair chance their memory is faulty in recounting events.
3 eyewitnesses can decide....
"Hey, we have a lot of power to have Omar & Dirkadirka put to death."
"Let's make a plan."

sooda

Veteran Member
It is in the following countries:
Afghanistan
Brunei
Iran
Mauritania
Sudan
Nigeria
Yemen
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Somalia
Is it mere coincidence that all countries that will execute homosexuals are also all Muslim nations?
Saudi Arabia doesnt execute homosexuals.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Homosexual acts are strictly forbidden in Islam. Although it has mainly been focused around men, women homosexuals are not that strongly discussed. This could be that in adultery, the focus is mainly on penetration.

In the holy Quran, the people of Prophet Lut have been discussed often. These were the people who heavily dowelled in homosexuality (male). Quran discusses them in a number of verses.

And [We had sent] Lot when he said to his people, "Do you commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds?(80)Indeed, you approach men with desire, instead of women. Rather, you are a transgressing people."(81) Al-Araf 80-81

Ash-Shura 25:165-166

Do you approach males among the worlds(165).And leave what your Lord has created for you as mates? But you are a people transgressing."(166)

Al-Naml 27:55

Do you indeed approach men with desire instead of women? Rather, you are a people behaving ignorantly."

Quran 4:16

And the two who commit it among you, dishonor them both. But if they repent and correct themselves, leave them alone. Indeed, Allah is ever Accepting of repentance and Merciful.

I realise that.
The OP was about Brunei introducing more brutal penalties for this.
You sought to dissemble. I have no idea why.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
3 eyewitnesses can decide....
"Hey, we have a lot of power to have Omar & Dirkadirka put to death."
"Let's make a plan."
A possibility, but not nearly as bad (at least in the parts of the world not officially governed by ancient superstition) as or as problematic as an eyewitness falsely recalling things. Police even had to change how they had/questioned victims identify perpetrators because there was too much suggestion and too many innocents being wrongly accused.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
LOLOl.. never mind.

Is not Sharia law a matter of interpretation?

The Quran, the Hadith along with reason and consensus. Obviously some in the Islamic world see use of the death penalty for homosexuality as reasonable.

Audie

Veteran Member
The mandate is there for those who read it.
And so Islam is split on the topic.

The mandate for slavery, stoming, etc and blah is in
the bible, and, not in the bible. I am no koran scholar
but those in islamic countries seem good at mandates
for their sick practices.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The mandate for slavery, stoming, etc and blah is in
the bible, and, not in the bible. I am no koran scholar
but those in islamic countries seem good at mandates
for their sick practices.
Ultimately, the Bible & Koran, can only
be judged by their effects on adherents.
They're the ones who read & interpret the books.
Whatever they do, that is what the religion is.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Ultimately, the Bible & Koran, can only
be judged by their effect on adherents.
They're the ones who read & interpret the books..
Whatever they do, that is what the religion is.

Seriously. IF ye books were works of
"god" then presumably there would be
original intent.

As it is, there is no there there.

They are always adapted to the times,
more or less. 15th century Christianity
was divine right of kings, the torture
chamber for heretics. Islam is whatever
people are doing now.

Neither is ever going to figure out or
practice original intent, even if it even
existed.

See, I took a lot more words to say
the same as you did.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seriously. IF ye books were works of
"god" then presumably there would be
original intent.

As it is, there is no there there.

They are always adapted to the times,
more or less. 15th century Christianity
was divine right of kings, the torture
chamber for heretics. Islam is whatever
people are doing now.

Neither is ever going to figure out or
practice original intent, even if it even
existed.

See, I took a lot more words to say
the same as you did.
But your lilting tone is much more enjoyable.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No religion, no ideology, nothing that requires that one "bind oneself" to some position or belief, is ever going to get to the principle that I hold most dear: that the individual is and must be sovereign over himself, constrained only by not hurting others and not contravening just laws. Religions and ideologies are not about you or me, they're about control and conformity, usually to the benefit of a very few in the "priestly" or "central committee" roles in those religions and ideologies.

(Actually, I accept that one may be punished for contravening unjust laws, and that this might be a price one has to pay to get those unjust laws revoked. Not everyone, certainly not me, has the courage for that sort of thing, but I praise the bejeebers out of those that do.)