• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earthquakes

may

BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered "the conclusion of the system of things." That period, he said, would be marked by such things as pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned "great earthquakes" that would occur "in one place after another." (Matthew 24:3, 7; Luke 21:10, 11)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
may said:
BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered "the conclusion of the system of things." That period, he said, would be marked by such things as pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned "great earthquakes" that would occur "in one place after another." (Matthew 24:3, 7; Luke 21:10, 11)

"the conclusion of the system of things." - has,I think, if based on the occurences of eartquakes, been around as far back as anyone can remember;)

Studies

In Matthew 24 Jesus says many things will happen and one of those things is earthquakes in divers places. I think there are more earthquakes in the past few years that have taken many more lives. I do believe we will also see a powerful one acompinied buy a huge volcanic eruption that will change all things in the world. When is the question, and this as in all things we are not meant to know the exact time for anything.

A

angellous_evangellous

May,
Your Bible verse sets up the arrival of Jesus to occur at any point in history, which was His point. He is going to come unexpectantly, "like a thief in the night." There are now and always have been earthquakes - this cannot be a sign of Jesus' coming, but rather a set-up for Him to come at any time.

may

Luke 21:31, 32: "When you see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near [that is, the time when it will destroy the present wicked world and itself take full charge of earth’s affairs]. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur. The time remaining must be very short. World conditions give every indication that this is the case.

The Bible describes events and conditions that mark this significant time period. "The sign" is a composite one made up of many evidences; thus its fulfillment requires that all aspects of the sign be clearly in evidence during one generation. The various aspects of the sign are recorded at Matthew chapters 24, 25, Mark 13, and Luke 21; there are further details at 2 Timothy 3:1-5, 2 Peter 3:3, 4, and Revelation 6:1-8. So yes ,there have always been earthquakes on the earth ,but jesus mentioned a composite sign all happening at the same time among a certain generation of people.
Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, ‘this generation’ (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose.so according to this, it would not be a time period, but the way that people act at this point in time

may

yet another earthquake ,in pakistan this time. yes Jesus said that we would see great earthquakes as part of the composite sign that he left us , but do we recognize that sign?

While he was sitting upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: "Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?...matthew 24;3

Then he went on to say to them: "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another pestilences and food shortages; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs...luke 21;10-11

"There will be great earthquakes." (Luke 21:11) Earthquakes after 1914—consider a few major ones. In 1915, in Italy, 32,610 lives lost; 1920, China, 200,000 killed; 1923, Japan, 143,000 killed; 1939, Turkey, 32,700 killed; 1970, Peru, 66,800 killed; 1976, China, 240,000 (some say 800,000) killed; 1988, Armenia, 25,000 killed

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Lots of folk been thinking it's the end for a good long while. We've always had earthquakes and they aren't happening more than normal.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Therere are far fewer Earthquakes and such now, than in earths early times like the Jurassic.
This is the nature of the earth cooling.
It will continue as long as the earth exists.

Terry_________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
A reminder: This is in the discussion section, in the Jehovah's Witnesses section. Questions are allowed, but opposing views from different faiths are not.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Jensa said:
A reminder: This is in the discussion section, in the Jehovah's Witnesses section. Questions are allowed, but opposing views from different faiths are not.
Sorry To our JW Friends for Butting in.
When I come in from active topics I often miss which forum it is.

It would be rather nice if private faith forums were Hilighted in some way, so dosy ones like me don't go out of Bounds

Terry____________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

may

Darkdale said:
Lots of folk been thinking it's the end for a good long while. We've always had earthquakes and they aren't happening more than normal.
its a composite sign ,not just earthquakes ,it is a multitude of events that togeather would constitute a sign that would be identifiable from anywhere on earth Jesus gave a sign that would enable his followers to recognize his presence, as well as the conclusion of the system of things