• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eagle Pays the Price

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
26 dead bald eagles dumped in North Van

Bird lovers and First Nations were horrified yesterday to learn that the remains of 26 mutilated bald eagles had been callously discarded in bush near Cates Park in North Vancouver.

The above was taken from the Province newspaper website . Todays paper had the article . It goes on to say that only some feathers and the talons were removed from each , the the Eagle is protected in Canada and one needs a permit to kill them { 6 months jail and one million dollar fine penalties } , and that there is a growing black market , especially in the U.S. for Eagle parts .

* I'm making to post as a follow up on a thread about animal parts that was in the Native American Spirituality forum , but as this really has no direct involement with Spirituality , I have decided to post it here . *

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Holy Crap!

I hope they catch the so-in-so *insert many bad names and growling* that did this! :149:

We are lucky if we have that many Bald Eagles in our State.

Such callous disregard for life really brings my anger to a boil.
:mad:

wa:do

Pah

Uber all member
I have to tell you! - I saw a pair last week not a mile down the road in rural Virginia, One was in the field near the road and the other in a tree on the tree line.

My first (and I suppose my second too!) in the wild. I was thrilled and awed!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Its hard to get the majesty, power and size of a full grown Eagle from a picture.
You can hear they have a seven and a half foot wingspan but untill one flys over your head you never quite get just how big that really is.

One of my favorite Eagle encounters was at a Pow Wow in Maine. We were drumming when a full grown Bald Eagle arrived and soared over us for about five minutes before moving on. :jam:
Nothing gets a bunch of Dancers going quite like having an 'honored guest' to dance for.:jiggy:

t3gah

kreeden said:
26 dead bald eagles dumped in North Van

Bird lovers and First Nations were horrified yesterday to learn that the remains of 26 mutilated bald eagles had been callously discarded in bush near Cates Park in North Vancouver.

The above was taken from the Province newspaper website . Todays paper had the article . It goes on to say that only some feathers and the talons were removed from each , the the Eagle is protected in Canada and one needs a permit to kill them { 6 months jail and one million dollar fine penalties } , and that there is a growing black market , especially in the U.S. for Eagle parts .

* I'm making to post as a follow up on a thread about animal parts that was in the Native American Spirituality forum , but as this really has no direct involement with Spirituality , I have decided to post it here . *

Protected but you can pay for a permit to get around the protection law and kill them. Sounds like a plain/jane hunting license to me.

Want to shoot deer? Sign here and pay up.

Want to kill Eagles? Sign here and pay up.

The story is horrible :(

why oh why would any one want to kill a bald eagle period???? or any eagle for that matter?! :confused:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
My guess is the permits are for Native American (First Nations in Canada ) groups who need them for ritual/spiritual purposes.
Either that or they are for dealing with 'problem' Eagles. A fourteen pound Eagle can kill some pretty big prey. Some have been known to become pet hunters and eaven lamb killers. Not that I feel that justifies killing an Eagle.
Also said permits may be like the NH moose lottery. Once a year people put thier names in the lottery if they want to hunt moose, a small number of names are drawn. Those people who 'win' the lottery are given a permit to hunt one moose. Moose arn't as dumb as people think, you can find them by the sides of roads all year long, but come hunting season. *poof* They disapear into the woods. You wouldn't think that a 1,200 pound, 7 1/2 foot animal with antlers more than five feet accross could just disapear, but they do.

Poaching however is NEVER justified! And the mass slaughter of animals like what happined to those eagles is just plain evil IMHO.

Master Vigil

I can't stop crying. This is completely horrible. What makes people do this. It makes me want to kill everyone who has killed or wants to kill an animal for money or sport. I JUST HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
t3gah said:
Protected but you can pay for a permit to get around the protection law and kill them. Sounds like a plain/jane hunting license to me.
As Painted Wolf said , the premits are not that easy to get . For Spiritual purposes . { Ranchers or anyone protecting lifestock don't need a permit if protecting livestock . Eagles will kill new born calves } .

The Eagle isn't quite as rare in Canda as it is in the States , I don't believe . I have been lucky enough to have seen more then 26 at one time , at a salmon run .

The might of the Eagle ? Imagine yourself as a pre-school child , out fishing . You walk under a tree . Suddenly the sky goes dark . You are deafen by thunder . The wind almost knocks you to the ground .... When you find the courage to look up , after things return to normal , you see an Eagle soaring away . :) It had been pearched in the tree you had just walked over .

I will post any news I hear about the pouchers , although I have my doubts that they will put that much effort into finding them .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Update :

The U'S' customs have arrested a lady who had several Eagle feathers in her car as she entered the U.S. . It appears that she had 8 feathers that she claimed to have found on a beach .... :| Yea , 8 feathers ....

BTW they say that a full Eagle goes for $4,000 U.S. .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
painted wolf said:
One of my favorite Eagle encounters was at a Pow Wow in Maine. We were drumming when a full grown Bald Eagle arrived and soared over us for about five minutes before moving on. :jam:
Nothing gets a bunch of Dancers going quite like having an 'honored guest' to dance for.:jiggy:

I'm working toward my first drum, Painted Wolf, and I think that having that eagle recognize the beauty of your music and gracing your group with its prescence would be one of the greatest honors one could have. (I also celebrate your Mod-ship! Way to go!)

(I'm sorry Kreeden, but I read the first sentence and couldn't bear to read the rest of it. Judging by Master Vigils' reaction, that was probably for the best.)

croak

Trickster
I was born in North Vancouver..................Come on, Mister Murderer, you've got eternity to finish! : :banghead3 Enter isn't working. :(

Now it is. :)

How about we do a thread about animal encounters? I remember I was stroking a horse that was tied. Later, the guy tells me to stay away, because he's wild.
I think I'm good with horses. ;)