• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dzongchen

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's teachings are pretty worldwide with many communities. He openly offers Dzogchen transmissions and teachings through webcast. Where do you stay?

Yeah, I actually just looked at that yesterday. He offers mind introduction over webcam to those who cannot attend the physical event on three occasions, one is Padmasambhava's birthday and I dont recall the other two holidays. I have considered that. The next will be in August. There are no Dzogchen communities for a few states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I actually just looked at that yesterday. He offers mind introduction over webcam to those who cannot attend the physical event on three occasions, one is Padmasambhava's birthday and I dont recall the other two holidays. I have considered that. There are no Dzogchen communities for a few states.
I see. By the way there is a forum you can find more info or ask questions at - DharmaWheel.net , many are followers of ChNNR. Namdrol and many others are quite knowledgeable and experienced practitioners of Dzogchen under ChNNR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dharma Wheel • Index page is a great forum.

apophenia, I meant restricted materials written by Namkhai Norbu, along with DVDs. He has written many books which detail practices. For instance there are books which detail the Rushens, Semdzins, and Lojongs -- these are the Dzogchen preliminary practices aimed at giving the practitioner a direct experience of Rigpa. There's also a book which explains Guru Yoga, the most important practice.

Of course going to a retreat is the best course of action, but Rinpoche's written works are good.

BTW DreadFish, he will be doing a weekend retreat in NYC this summer. Not sure how far away that is from you, but it's worth the drive if you want to meet a living Dzogchen master. I'll be there :D

I don't know if you have read this, but if you haven't, this is a must-read:

786700-L.jpg

Blog post by Loppon Namdrol:

Treasury of Ati: The Crystal and the Way of Light

The Crystal and the Way of Light

If you are really intelligent, you will understand the meaning of this title automatically and need nothing further. When I first read this book, back in 1987, back in the days of the Harmonic Convergence and so on, I had no clue what it meant, I was suspicious that it might be some new age book. And when I first read about "self-liberation" I was confused since I thought this was a book about Tibetan Buddhism. Well, I have learned a lot since then.

This book was the book that broke the ice of the Dzogchen teachings in the Western World. Prior to the publication of this book, there were no accessible, easy to understand, writings about Dzogchen for the general reader. Even though this book is accessible, its contents are nonetheless profound and lay out the context of the Dzogchen teachings in a clear manner.

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has done more to bring the teachings of the three series of Dzogchen to the West than any master before him, or since. He has tirelessly circled the globe times beyond count teaching Dzogchen in nearly every major capital of the world in Asia, Europe, North and South America and Australia.

He has labored over the years to clarify that the teaching of Dzogchen, the great perfection, is an independent Buddhist vehicle, a self-sufficient means to total liberation, one capable of taking a complete beginner to the stage of the final liberation into the body of light in a single lifetime.

Masters such as Chogyal Namkhai Norbu are termed "second Vajrasattvas" in the terminology of the teachings of the great perfection. We find ourselves very fortunate indeed that Norbu Rinpoche chose to teach Dzogchen to willing students.

Beyond Norbu Rinpoche's Dharma teachings, his commitment to preserving and fostering Tibetan culture is without parallel, having formed A.S.I.A, which funds the building of schools, hospitals and so on in Tibet and the Himalayas and Shang Shung Institute, which sponsors the first school of Tibetan Medicine in a Western Country, among other projects.

As for Rinpoche's other activities, many people are largely unaware that Norbu Rinpoche has been busy with preparations of critical editions of the most important primary texts of the Dzogchen tradition. These texts, when published, will undoubtedly set the foundation for much future translation work.

Those of us who are students of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu are fortunate indeed to have been graced to be in the presence of this master. Another great, if largely unknown, master of the Dzogchen teachings, Kunzang Dechen Lingpa, stated that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu was an "inconceivable" master of the Dzogchen teachings. Despite the presence in the West of such luminaries as HH Dudjom Rinpoche, HH Dilgo Khyentse, and so on, in my opinion there has never been a master quite like Chogyal Namkhai Norbu in the West, and there is likely never to be another master quite like him again for the foreseeable future.

I recommend therefore, that those who have yet to meet him in person and receive the blessings of hearing him teach Dzogchen should do so right away. As Norbu Rinpoche himself is fond of saying, "Everything is in time, and time is passing..."

May the life force of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu be firm, may his wishes be accomplished without effort, may the dakinis and dharmapalas guard him from every obstacle, may his teachings spread throughout the whole world, ensuring the ripe harvest of happiness, dharma, prosperity and good fortune for all sentient beings.

Sarvamaṅgalaṃ

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
BTW DreadFish, he will be doing a weekend retreat in NYC this summer. Not sure how far away that is from you, but it's worth the drive if you want to meet a living Dzogchen master. I'll be there :D

It's possible. I live in NC, so that's a good distance and money is the main concern, not only can I not afford the trip, but I cant likely afford the retreat in addition.

We will see, I will be making a trip to a place that has a Drikung Kagyu Dzogchen community soon, so I will try to visit it while im there.

No, not really. You think I'm going to stalk you? :eek: I like Drikung but the center near me (Gampopa Center) is difficult to reach, so if there is another Drikung center not too far from me, I'd love to know what it is...

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
No, not really. You think I'm going to stalk you? :eek: I like Drikung but the center near me (Gampopa Center) is difficult to reach, so if there is another Drikung center not too far from me, I'd love to know what it is...

Oh no, not anything about you in particular, dont worry :D . I just dont like to talk about my business on a public forum is all.

atanu

Premium Member
I thought I would randomly add this, I have found it helpful in keeping mindful throughout the day:

The everyday practice is just ordinary is life itself. Since the
underdeveloped state does not exist there is no need to behave in any
special way or try to attain or practice anything.

There should be no need of striving to reach some exalted goal or higher
state; this simply produces something conditional or artificial that will act as an obstruction to the free flow of the mind.
-----
First, let the mind follow the movement of the breath, in and out, until
it becomes calm and tranquil. Then increasingly rest the mind on the
breath until one's whole being seems identified with it.

Finally become aware of the breath leaving the body and going out into
space, and gradually transfer the attention from the breath to the
sensation of spaciousness and expansion.

Thank you for excellent helpful material.

Mu guru also teaches 'Just Be'. But he adds that it is impossible for but a few. So, the many different upAyas, suitable for different practitioners.

apophenia

Thank you for excellent helpful material.

Mu guru also teaches 'Just Be'. But he adds that it is impossible for but a few. So, the many different upAyas, suitable for different practitioners.

That's true Atanu. Everybody is a unique individual.

Except me !

:confused:

I am attending Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's Dzogchen retreat tomorrow morning. Good night :)

p.s. you can probably catch his teachings on webcast.

Yeshe Dondrub

Kagyupa OBT-Thubetan
Dzogchen practices are done after completion of the foundational practices. For better understanding after Ngondro, or other preliminary practice.

While you can get a base understanding, deeper understanding and benefits will come after the initial purification. Schools will have different approaches, and the root lama will guide you.