• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dying your hair

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you dye your hair to look younger? Why?
What do you think of others who do or don't dye their hair.
Is physically looking young important to you, or could you give a rat's behind about yourself or others?
Does faith, or fitting in have anything to do with it?
Does it matter at all?

sooda

Veteran Member
Is physically looking young important to you, or could you give a rat's behind about yourself or others?
Does it matter at all?

I'm wearing a big pink stripe in my white hair this month for Breast Cancer Awareness. It looks very cool.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm wearing a big pink stripe in my white hair this month for Breast Cancer Awareness. It looks very cool.
Oh I get that. Back when I taught I probably did the total shave 4 or 5 times for charity fundraisers. Nice touch.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Does it matter at all?

I've never done anything to make myself to look physically younger. While I don't have much more than a few stray gray hairs on my head, I have much less hair than I did when I was younger and have gray in my goatee. I have no plans to do anything about this, as it's the natural aging process.

My mother, on the other hand, has had three plastic surgeries and a tummy tuck (and from what I hear no longer has a belly button).

My brother lost his hair early and has tried hair replacement aids such as Rogaine.

I never understood the desire to look younger than one's age. :shrug:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Does it matter at all?
In my life, I dyed my hair twice :) the first time I dyed it red henna, and the second time I dyed it purple :) I guess I was young and wanted to fit in.
If people wish they can dye their hair, but it does not change them as people :)
Now when i am older i see that looks does not have anything to say about who we think we are :) it is only a image

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Does it matter at all?

Thankfully, I don't have to dye my hair, I'm too lazy to keep it up. Both parents didn't go gray until much later in life and I have an aunt in her 80s who is still naturally brunette. But I would try if I simply looked better with dark hair. Nature sometimes needs a tweak, some people look more attractive with white hair (Steve Martin is a good example) or with another color other than their natural one.

Looking one's best, whatever that is, and feeling good always make someone more vibrant and energetic and thus "youthful" at any age.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I never understood the desire to look younger than one's age. :shrug:

I don't understand it either, but also accept the right of people to do it. Sometimes it might help get or keep a job, and for other pragmatic reasons I get it. My former student/friend wore wigs when she lost her hair to chemotherapy, using the wig library from the local cancer center. That I get,and she had fun with it, changing on a daily basis. She needed some fun at that time in her life.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand it either, but also accept the right of people to do it. Sometimes it might help get or keep a job, and for other pragmatic reasons I get it. My former student/friend wore wigs when she lost her hair to chemotherapy, using the wig library from the local cancer center. That I get,and she had fun with it, changing on a daily basis. She needed some fun at that time in her life.

Yes, I get the post chemo wig thing. My daughter had a beautiful head of hair, but unfortunately lost it when she went through chemo. She had some nice wigs as well.

I also get the pragmatic applications in doing so. But for my mother and brother mentioned in my previous post, there was no reason other than vanity. Like you, I accept their right to do so, as they are doing so with their own money and it has no impact on me. Like I said, I just don't get it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, I get the post chemo wig thing. My daughter had a beautiful head of hair, but unfortunately lost it when she went through chemo. She had some nice wigs as well.

I also get the pragmatic applications in doing so. But for my mother and brother mentioned in my previous post, there was no reason other than vanity. Like you, I accept their right to do so, as they are doing so with their own money and it has no impact on me. Like I said, I just don't get it.
I'm also gender biased to some degree. For some reason I get it even less with men. In particular 'religious' men. I need to work on the gender bias bit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm also gender biased to some degree. For some reason I get it even less with men. In particular 'religious' men. I need to work on the gender bias bit.

I'm not sure that's really gender bias, though. In raising two daughters, I think women are more subject to societal expectations and are conditioned to maintain a youthful and/or beautiful appearance. This is impressed on many at a young age and such conditioning impacts their decisions throughout their lives.

Take makeup for example. There are so many women that are beautiful without makeup, but feel the need to wear it because it's what society expects.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not sure that's really gender bias, though. In raising two daughters, I think women are more subject to societal expectations and are conditioned to maintain a youthful and/or beautiful appearance. This is impressed on many at a young age and such conditioning impacts their decisions throughout their lives.

Take makeup for example. There are so many women that are beautiful without makeup, but feel the need to wear it because it's what society expects.
Fair enough. I counted heads at a teacher's convention keynote presentation once upon a time. (I sat near the door, and watched as they came in.) Perhaps looking for grey was more interesting than listening to the speaker. As I recall, I found one woman, and countless men in the crowd of around 1000.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Does it matter at all?

Just as a point of personal peevishness, there is no Grecian Formula for gingers....

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Does it matter at all?

My hair is died every 6 weeks with my original colour, far better than the patchy grey, helps me feel myself

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I’m bald, so I shave my head. But I dye my beard. I freely admit that part of it is to look younger. I have very light skin, so with my beard being white I look a lot older, tired and washed out.

No judgement from me. Whatever floats their boat, as long as no one gets hurt.

Again, no judgement from me. Though I have seen cosmetic surgery taken to seriously unnatural results. I’d go only so far in changing my appearance... hair/beard dye, trying to keep fit, basically working with what I have.

I can’t say with any honesty I’d have cosmetic surgery. I had an opportunity to have my nose done when I had sinus surgery, but I didn’t pursue it with the doctor. But someone told me I have a “classically handsome” nose. Whatever that means. :D

Does it matter at all?

Nope, purely a material world thing. And really only for my personal aesthetic values. Though I’m not so hypocritical to say the appearance of others doesn’t make some kind of impression on me. I’ve seen people with disabilities and disfigurements that have made me silently gasp. I try to keep in mind that we’re not the body.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Just as a point of personal peevishness, there is no Grecian Formula for gingers....

Just For Men Control GX. :D Somehow it restores the original color, whatever it was.