• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dusting out a seldom used forum

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have been thinking about it and I've decided I do after all self identify as a conservative. So I don't need to ignore you, or be respectful. Just another fellow rightard being whatever it is we enjoy being here together in this lovely dust free sub forum.

Ignore me? I'm not a conservative. I was just trying to help clarify things. :p

Smoke

Done here.
The key element of the sentence was that Churchill was paraphrasing what others before him had said. Churchill's comment just is the most famous. Those whom Churchill borrowed the sentence from were pretty clear on what they meant.

Out of curiosity, who were they?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Now that the kicked up dust has settled a bit, I would like to poke my head in here :)

I am 17 years old, and I don't know much about economics, so I don't know whether or not I am a conservative in that area. However, I am *mostly* Conservative on social issues. I have some liberal social values such as equal rights for gays.

Just thought I'd tell the Reverend that there are still *mostly* Conservative young'uns!

... I guess that means I have no heart, Mr. Churchill. Or maybe I have the mind of a man over thirty, so therefore have plenty o' brains! :D

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I believe there would be no one allowed to post in this forum if you had to be 100% conservative. I do not qualify, nor would GWB for that matter. GWB is a neo-con so I am told.

Sunstone labeled me a neo-con a few years back and he may have been right at the time.

Since I have been a member of RF, I have changed some of my views. I no longer stand in the way of same sex marriage for instance.

I believe anyone who does not try to debate conservative values in this forum and considers themselves to hold some of these viewpoints should be allowed to post or at least ask respectful questions.

This thread has done much better than I thought it would. Everyone has been respectful for the most part and there has not been any debate which is the most important part.

I believe in the past, many DIR's like this where used to inflame opposing viewpoints without interference. That was never the intent of these types of DIR's and not to be used as such.

Perhaps this thread demonstrates our growth as RF members being able to discuss things in the spirit of fellowship. That is our mission after all. :yes:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
OK folks, this is a Conservative Only forum. I'm cleaning the dust out of this forum and taking it for a spin.

I guess my question to all three or four of us here in RF (J/K) is, are we a dieing breed?

The reason why I ask is, how many young conservatives do you see out there?

Do you believe some of the young folks will eventually become conservatives later on in life?

The problem is conservatives don't allow liberal views. It seems as it is an all our nothing for true conservatives. Liberalism allows for conservative views. I consider myself indepent leaning towards conservatism(During the Reagon years I actually joined the republican party) but most conservatives consider me liberal. So the conservatives actually chased me away. Liberals have no such problem.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I believe many conservative have lost their way. GWB is a good example. He wanted to fight wars but did not want to pay for them. Conservatives understand that no matter what we do, we need to be able to pay for it.

I consider myself as a compassionate conservative. I want to help people learn to help themselves. Education is the foundation of this goal.

I believe if we decide to fight any more wars, we need to have a war tax on the richest of Americans. Let those who have to pay the tax decide if we go to war or not. I have a feeling we would get involved alot less when we have to fund these endeavors. I further believe we would set our goals, achieve them quickly and stop spending so much money.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I believe many conservative have lost their way. GWB is a good example. He wanted to fight wars but did not want to pay for them. Conservatives understand that no matter what we do, we need to be able to pay for it.

I consider myself as a compassionate conservative. I want to help people learn to help themselves. Education is the foundation of this goal.

I believe if we decide to fight any more wars, we need to have a war tax on the richest of Americans. Let those who have to pay the tax decide if we go to war or not. I have a feeling we would get involved alot less when we have to fund these endeavors. I further believe we would set our goals, achieve them quickly and stop spending so much money.

Ironically I would say over my time here I have moved more to the right.

Social issues I am still a lefty but economically I am more in line with some sort of centre right area.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The problem is conservatives don't allow liberal views. It seems as it is an all our nothing for true conservatives.
It depends upon the individual conservative. Since many cons are staunch supporters of the Constitution,
many of them also hold some views in common with liberals & libertarians, eg, freedom of speech, freedom
of religion, due process. They aren't as uniform as some would paint them.

Alceste

Vagabond
It depends upon the individual conservative. Since many cons are staunch supporters of the Constitution,
many of them also hold some views in common with liberals & libertarians, eg, freedom of speech, freedom
of religion, due process. They aren't as uniform as some would paint them.

True enough. On top of that, all todays political parties pretend to be the opposite of what they are, which only adds to the confusion. Our "conservatives" for example, have managed to turn the liberals' budget surplus into a record deficit, and the geyser of spending shows no sign of stopping. Obama pretends to hold progressive values but has ramped up GWBs interventionist foreign and repressive / pro-Wall Street domestic policies, making him even more right wing than Bush. Dogs and cats living together!

Basically, I don't think we can really understand what's going on in this day and age with such simplistic political affiliations as left vs right. We are experiencing Goldman Sachs vs everybody else right now. Conservatives and liberals should be working together to maintain some semblance of democracy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
quotationmarksleftS.gif
Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and

any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.
quotationmarksrightS.gif

is a quote often credited to Churchill whom it is very likely was paraphrasing sentiments expressed by others before him.

I can't speak for others, but it certainly is an accurate portrayal of the morphing of my own ideological convictions.

I've found the more I learn, the more liberal I become on just about everything, so I don't really understand why most people become conservative with age. Would any conservative care to explain why they have become more conservative with age? Just curious.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I've found the more I learn, the more liberal I become on just about everything, so I don't really understand why most people become conservative with age. Would any conservative care to explain why they have become more conservative with age? Just curious.

Perhaps because they are realists and have accumulated some hard earned assets they would like to keep. It is easier to want to share the wealth when you are on the receiving end of the bargain.

I believe when we are young, we think we can change the world. Later on in life, we just learn how to play the game to our advantage which just happens to be the goal of both sides if you really think about it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Perhaps because they are realists and have accumulated some hard earned assets they would like to keep. It is easier to want to share the wealth when you are on the receiving end of the bargain.

I believe when we are young, we think we can change the world. Later on in life, we just learn how to play the game to our advantage which just happens to be the goal of both sides if you really think about it.

Thanks for the insight, Rick!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In any system, there are always aberrations, Phil. :)

I tend to agree with this. In our youth we are idealistic and empowered with a very naive, but very daring, "Yes we can" spirit. After much experience our ideals are somewhat muted by real world influences and hopefully a growth in our understanding of how society, as a whole, works and how we work as individuals. It is in this light that many aspects of our former viewpoints develop a more conservative edge because we have learned from our often painful mistakes.

Like others have said, I am fairly liberal on some topics, and am still a card-carrying Liberal party of Canada member, however, due to my disenchantment with the Liberals I have voted for the "Son of Satan", Stephen Harper, leader of the Conservative party, two times in a row. Overall his policies are far better, in my opinion, that that of the Liberal's who are still lost in the wilderness.

SO, Social programs Liberal, Fiscal conservative and arch-conservative on defense. If the truth be told, I'm a hawk on defense.