• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durham, North Carolina anyone?

TheDane93

Hi

In october im going to Durham, North Carolina on an exchange for about two weeks. I know that they are very religious, but other wise i know nothing about it. So have any of you ever been there or do you know anything about it?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There's a lot to do there. I don't know the particulars of your visit, but Durham is part of the triad - Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill - it's one of (if not the) largest urban centers of the state and has plenty of museums, theaters, shopping centers.....

Just be careful where you go. As with any city, Durham has its share of crime and gang activity.

Durham, NC - City of Medicine
Durham, NC | Official Visitor and Newcomer Information Site

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I would encourage you to get out of the city and visit the surrounding countryside. North Carolina is a beautiful state, with lots of history, including a lot of Native American history which you may find particularly interesting.

The people of North Carolina are particularly friendly, and the atmosphere is generally casual and open. You will find that most people greet you, strike up conversation, and will be curious about your nationality, accent, etc. They have delightful southern accents themselves!

Southern food - Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmm! Southern desserts are especially good - all sorts of pies and cookies. Yum. Lots of vegetables, cooked all sorts of ways, and I hate to say it, but lots of fried food as well. Check out chicken and dumplings if you get a chance!

I think you're in for a treat. If you can, check out the Shenandoah mountains (absolutely beautiful) and/or the Atlantic beaches. North Carolina has some beautiful Outer Shore beaches where herds of wild horses roam.

Good luck - you're going to be visiting a beautiful state! And I wouldn't let the "very religious" aspect put you off. It's not like you're going to be beat over the head with Jesus. They are just more regular church goers than you are probably used to.

Last edited:

TheDane93

I'm going there with my school, and im going to stay with a family there. All i know is, that one of the days we're going on a trip to the Rockey Mountains. But from what both of you have said, its sound great, and i cant wait to go!

sniper762

its the great smokey mountains in nc. the rockies are 2000 miles west of us. i'm 20 miles north of durham. anyways you will enjoy it. check out sugar mountain if you like skiing, grandfather mountain for hiking or joyce kilmer national forests to see giant trees.

if coming to nc, bring YOUR religion or lack of with you. you will be welcomed