• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dunwanna

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've got a paper to write, and I'm feeling a little like Spongebob...

I'm wasting time. :(

I don't wanna write my essay...

How do you see yourself through the most obnoxious of tasks?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I've been avoiding any type of responsibilities so I don't go through that again. And yes, I saw that SpongeBob episode, it's a good one. If I don't take care of my mental health, like taking medication, going to therapy or taking regular walks, I tweak out until I do it. And all three are equally important to me. Good thing about therapy is it's only a 45 minute walk to reach my therapist, and checks off both needs by walking there and back. If I happen to forget or lapse on my medication, don't go to therapy or don't take walks eventually I get in a really bad mood regardless of what it is. Luckily today it was above freezing so I took a walk and ate at a local sub shop. At the same time, procrastination in my school work before I was on disability makes me equally as anxious or in a bad mood. So I just face it and do what I need to do, eventually.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I used to be a procrastinator. After several years of applying more discipline, I discovered that once you just get it done, it's no longer lingering there in the subconscious, giving you more freedom to move on to bigger and better things. That procrastination habit is long since gone now. Just write the stupid thing. You'll feel much better.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been avoiding any type of responsibilities so I don't go through that again. And yes, I saw that SpongeBob episode, it's a good one. If I don't take care of my mental health, like taking medication, going to therapy or taking regular walks, I tweak out until I do it. And all three are equally important to me. Good thing about therapy is it's only a 45 minute walk to reach my therapist, and checks off both needs by walking there and back. If I happen to forget or lapse on my medication, don't go to therapy or don't take walks eventually I get in a really bad mood regardless of what it is. Luckily today it was above freezing so I took a walk and ate at a local sub shop. At the same time, procrastination in my school work before I was on disability makes me equally as anxious or in a bad mood. So I just face it and do what I need to do, eventually.

I know it isn't what you wrote, but my brain flopped things around, and I read something akin to "when I don't watch Spongebob, I tweak out until I do". I, of course, realized that likely wasn't correct and went back and reread that correctly...

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Keep it up. :)

I used to be a procrastinator. After several years of applying more discipline, I discovered that once you just get it done, it's no longer lingering there in the subconscious, giving you more freedom to move on to bigger and better things. That procrastination habit is long since gone now. Just write the stupid thing. You'll feel much better.

Alright, alright...

Can I come back and nag that I don't know what to do with my free time when I'm done? :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know it isn't what you wrote, but my brain flopped things around, and I read something akin to "when I don't watch Spongebob, I tweak out until I do". I, of course, realized that likely wasn't correct and went back and reread that correctly...

Alright, alright...

Can I come back and nag that I don't know what to do with my free time when I'm done? :D
Sure. Go ahead. I can't promise it won't go in one ear and out the other though. In fact , that is most likely what will happen.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

I trick myself into it.

For instance:

"I don't feel like doing anything. Think I'll just goof off all day".

"Hey, goofing off would be even more fun if I make a day of it and spoil myself. Guess I can make a quick trip to the grocery store for some goodies that I don't usually let myself eat, then turn around and come right home and goof off all day".

"Oh well, since I'm at the grocery store I might as well do my shopping, then I'll go home and goof off for the rest of the day".

"Oh well, since I'm in town I might as well go pick up my prescription, then I can go home and goof off for the rest of the day".

"Oh well, since I'm at the drugstore I might as well check my blood pressure, then I can go home and goof off for the rest of the day . . . ".

". . . and since the drugstore is right across from the natural food store I might as well see what they have on sale today . . ."

" . . .and since the natural food store is right next to the Dollar Store I might as well pick up a few things I need there. . ."

" . . .and since I noticed my brakes are starting to wear thin I might as well ride down to the campus and pick up some pads and use their maintenance station to tighten everything up. . ."

". . .and since I'm here I might as well oil my chain, adjust my derailleurs, and check my air pressure . . ."

". . .and hey! Someone just threw two new-looking tires on the recycle pile! I've been meaning to put new tires on my bike and these are close enough, and they're free. . "

". . . well now, since my bike is all tuned up and I have new tires, might as well go for a nice long ride. . ."

Next thing I know it's 8pm and after a quick showier at the gym I can ride home thinking about what a nice, productive day of goofing off I just had.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Alright, alright...

Well...spend more time with us on RF, of course!:D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

This has pretty much been my mindset today. I have a project due tomorrow that needs to be worked on. But **** am I just tired.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Grit my teeth, knuckle down and do it. The sooner it's done the sooner the task disappears.

Or get someone else to do it but i guess that's not an option.

Ares would write a hell of an essay. It might be off topic and missing words, but it would be interesting...

I trick myself into it.

For instance:

"I don't feel like doing anything. Think I'll just goof off all day".

"Hey, goofing off would be even more fun if I make a day of it and spoil myself. Guess I can make a quick trip to the grocery store for some goodies that I don't usually let myself eat, then turn around and come right home and goof off all day".

"Oh well, since I'm at the grocery store I might as well do my shopping, then I'll go home and goof off for the rest of the day".

"Oh well, since I'm in town I might as well go pick up my prescription, then I can go home and goof off for the rest of the day".

"Oh well, since I'm at the drugstore I might as well check my blood pressure, then I can go home and goof off for the rest of the day . . . ".

". . . and since the drugstore is right across from the natural food store I might as well see what they have on sale today . . ."

" . . .and since the natural food store is right next to the Dollar Store I might as well pick up a few things I need there. . ."

" . . .and since I noticed my brakes are starting to wear thin I might as well ride down to the campus and pick up some pads and use their maintenance station to tighten everything up. . ."

". . .and since I'm here I might as well oil my chain, adjust my derailleurs, and check my air pressure . . ."

". . .and hey! Someone just threw two new-looking tires on the recycle pile! I've been meaning to put new tires on my bike and these are close enough, and they're free. . "

". . . well now, since my bike is all tuned up and I have new tires, might as well go for a nice long ride. . ."

Next thing I know it's 8pm and after a quick showier at the gym I can ride home thinking about what a nice, productive day of goofing off I just had.

I do that kind of thing frequently, though without such range...

"I'm not doing a damned thing today. But, I'm thirsty. Well, I'll grab a glass of water... Looks like the sink is full. I may as well put these in the dishwasher while I'm in the kitchen... I see the fish tank needs refilled... I'll go do that. Then I'll go loaf. Go up to the bathroom to get the water bucket... I see someone peed down the back of the toilet. Better mop that up..."

Sometimes the pressure of "have to" makes all the difference.

Well...spend more time with us on RF, of course!:D

You got it!

Half way through... brain is burning out. Regrouping...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Ares would write a hell of an essay. It might be off topic and missing words, but it would be interesting...

I do that kind of thing frequently, though without such range...

"I'm not doing a damned thing today. But, I'm thirsty. Well, I'll grab a glass of water... Looks like the sink is full. I may as well put these in the dishwasher while I'm in the kitchen... I see the fish tank needs refilled... I'll go do that. Then I'll go loaf. Go up to the bathroom to get the water bucket... I see someone peed down the back of the toilet. Better mop that up..."

Sometimes the pressure of "have to" makes all the difference.

You got it!

Half way through... brain is burning out. Regrouping...
wait...you need to have your brain on to be on RF?

I been doing it wrong!!!!:confused::mad:o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes::D

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a flock of thirteen lovebirds (small parrots), all but two hand-raised by me during the pandemic years because... Well, if you're stuck in the house you may as well raise lovebirds, right? (Yeh, I know that sounds stupid.)

The most obnoxious task I have is cleaning birdcages (large birdcages), and I have a number of those. I don't just empty the pan in the bottom of the cages -- I scrub the cages down with soap and hot water. Nothing but the best for my lovies.

I accomplish this task by giving myself a reward for every two cages that I clean -- a reward of a small glass of wine. By the time I've cleaned four cages, I'm pleasantly buzzed and not bothered by the task anymore. I sing and sometimes dance a little while I'm doing this task. When I've finished the last cage (out of a total of five) I'm feeling very good. And all my lovies are feeling good, too. I toast them with my wineglass.

The babies I've raised have all imprinted on me and it's wild when I let them all out of their cages for free-flight exercise and they land on me for attention. Here's a pic of one of the precious babies I've hand-raised.

BlFPRnc.jpg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
wait...you need to have your brain on to be on RF?

I been doing it wrong!!!!:confused::mad:o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes::D

No, no, you don't need your brain for RF! I used it for my essay!

I can safely discard it now. :)

I have a flock of thirteen lovebirds (small parrots), all but two hand-raised by me during the pandemic years because... Well, if you're stuck in the house you may as well raise lovebirds, right? (Yeh, I know that sounds stupid.)

The most obnoxious task I have is cleaning birdcages, and I have a number of those. I don't just empty the pan in the bottom of the cages -- I scrub the cages down with soap and hot water. Nothing but the best for my lovies.

I accomplish this task by giving myself a reward for every two cages that I clean -- a reward of a small glass of wine. By the time I've cleaned four cages, I'm pleasantly buzzed and not bothered by the task anymore. I sing and sometimes dance a little while I'm doing this task. When I've finished the last cage (out of a total of five) I'm feeling very good. And all my lovies are feeling good, too. I toast them with my wineglass.

The babies I've raised have all imprinted on me and it's wild when I let them all out of their cages for free-flight exercise and they land on me for attention. Here's a pic of one of the precious babies I've hand-raised.

BlFPRnc.jpg

Can I come help clean birdcages? :D

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like the answer to the problem is medicinal wine.

I wouldn't advise it if your task is to write an essay. @JustGeorge, save the wine for after the essay-writing! Then you can come over to my place and help me clean bird cages and get shikered (Yiddish word for "drunk"). :D

RestlessSoul

I'm actually reading this thread as an avoidance strategy. I should be reading a very dry paper on Karl Popper's alleged solution to the Induction Problem (don't ask).

So anyway, I have no advice to offer, but you did the essay anyway. Well done.