• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dune

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Dune by Frank Herbert (1920-1986) is definately one of the most influential books in speculative fiction, comparable only to Lord of the Rings. I consider Frank Herbert a remarkable futurist; Dune is riddled with concern for Western imperialism and the environment. His protagonists are religious fundamentalists living in a society whose environment is home to humanity's most important commodity. Frank Herbert harbored deep rage at the way people in the industrialized world generally, and in the United States specifically, fail to protect the environment, continually deploy technologies that destroy the environment, and through societal addiction to these technologies, have lost or are rapidly losing their sense of relationship to the environment.

Read the book that influenced Star Wars and all space opera that followed!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I read Dune several years ago and loved it! Didn't get into the series too much, but Dune is one I recommend.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dune is a brilliant work of socio-anthropological fiction. One of the great works of the 20th C. It depicts a post-apolyptic, interstellar, feudal empire.
The Fremen were modeled on desert Arab Bedouins. The brilliantly developed culture, values and ambitions of the powerful houses of Atreides and Harkonnen are a disturbing commentary on our own society and historical values.

kateyes

I read this years ago as well--I can highly recommend it--didn't like the sequels as much--but really loved Dune. READ THE BOOK-DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Of the novels, I personally liked Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

Of the filmed works, I liked David Lynch's theatrical production of Dune, especially the three hour television cut, and I liked the Sci-Fi Channel Children of Dune miniseries. Avoid the Sci-Fi Channel Dune miniseries at all costs.

Don't just settle for any filmed adaption to get out of the time needed to read a book. Definitely read the first Dune novel.

I can't say, though, that I find Dune a close commentary on today's society. It's more of a Bible story (or Koran story?) set in outer space, and I think it should be taken as a morality play.

Read the book that influenced Star Wars and all space opera that followed!

I can't think of any influence of Dune on Star Wars. Has George Lucas admitted to one?

eudaimonia,

Mark