1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drug Companies

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Lightkeeper, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Just how much power do drug companies have? Have you noticed that when people exercised and ate better they lowered their cholesterol and blood pressure? They outgrew their needs for drugs. Now the acceptable levels for both have been lowered. Do you think the drug companies had anything to do with the research to lower these levels? Do doctors get kickbacks for pushing certain drugs? What can we do to make drugs affordable in the United States?

2. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I have mixed feelings about drug companies. On the one hand, everyone should have access to affordable drugs if they really need them....on the other hand, research and development into new and better drugs requires lots of money--investors won't provide that money if they don't think it might pay off in a big way. Otherwise, it's not worth the gamble.

Since I have severe hemophilia, I generally inject myself with one dose of blood clotting factor preventatively twice a week. For my age and weight, three vials of factor is one dose. Each vial costs $2,000.

As you can imagine, my insurance premiums are quite high.

3. Lightkeeper

Ratings:
    +223
    That's a strong case for affordable drugs. Your life is dependent on these drugs, they should be within financial reach.

4. Nga_Believe

Nga_Believe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am a receptionist in a doctors office and doctors don't get kickbacks for prescribing drugs, at least not the ones that I work with. When it comes to the cost of drugs, its an insurance problem not a drug company problem.

5. Lightkeeper

Ratings:
    +223
    If I am calculating correctly, Mr. Spinkles' medication is $48,000.00 a month. His insurance pays for some of this. I can't see how this high priced medication has anything to do with an insurance problem. This is an outrageous price. I think if I were going to get on any bandwagon, it would be affordable medication.

6. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +1,676
    What Nga Believe is saying is correct. Insurance is required to pay for most of my factor, but the premiums are huge. Fortunately, the company my dad works for pays for a lot of it.

Although it can be very difficult for families, if a hemophiliac can't afford his factor the government will step in and provide it for free (or the insurance companies will provide it for free...I'm not sure which). In any case, no hemophiliac is denied his potentially life saving medicine, even if he can't afford it.

Still, Lightkeeper, I don't expect the government to be able to make my factor "affordable". The stuff is expensive, there's no getting around it. As long as the government provides the bare necessities for life, I'm not going to gripe about how difficult it is to pay the insurance premiums.

7. civilcynic

civilcynic Member

Ratings:
    +22

Mr. Spinkles, nothing is for free.....someone is paying that enormous price for the medication and it ends up to be the consumers....You are fortunate to be able to pay for your insurance and get your meds. but there are alot of people who can't afford medical insurance and who can't afford their medication...As a therapist, I see it all the time where people are making tough choices on what meds.,treatment, tests they can afford and what they will take their chances on. Of course, if you are dirt poor, the government may step in and help but if you are not.....you are on your own!

The drug companies are making money hand over fist with their prices. A good example is the recent medicare drug bill. Pres. Bush's Medicare Bill forbids Social Security to bargain with drug companies to get lower prices for those consumers they represent whereas the Veterans Administration does dicker with the drug companies as they represent a large group of consumers and this is how they are able to provide drugs to their veterans at lower costs. Just before the the new medicare bill was enacted, the major drug companies tripled their prices on their drugs and since Social Security cannot bargain with the drug companies, the elderly are now paying more money for drugs than they did before the Bill was passed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lightkeeper

Ratings:
    +223
    Good info, Civilcinic. I would like to see a breakdown of the cost of the hemophilia medication. I really would like to know why this costs so much. Anyone know where we can get some honest figures?

9. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +1,676
    civilcynic, the fact remains that even if I couldn't afford my factor (if my dad lost his job or something) it would get paid for, one way or another. Paying for the factor can be worrisome...but not having enough factor is never a problem.