• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drug and alcohol addiction

Treasure Hunter

Think of the self divided into two parts: one of high faith and one of low faith. As a young child, the world can fulfill both the high and low faith self. The self is united and all is good.

As the child grows up and their world gets checked by reality, eventually the high faith self (HFS) is no longer fulfilled by the world. This creates a kind of hell for the self, even for the low faith self (LFS) who is well adjusted enough to the new version of the world if not for the pain of un-fulfilled desire experienced by the the LFS via connection to the HFS.

This results in the LFS cutting off the HFS and casting it into the darkness of unconsciousness in the name of pain relief. While the self is now more adjusted to the world, there is part of it that longs to reunite with the HFS.

Drugs and alcohol have multiple affects, but one is the temporary fulfillment of the HFS and reunification of the self. The HFS is brought back into the light with a renewed hope for the world. However, it brings with it a bunch of baggage that has accumulated over the years from being an outcast in the darkness, including a deeply cynical view of life and the world along with resentment towards the LFS. In short, there is a new hope but also a new hell. Reunification of the self but also deep conflict.

The faith path is supposed to gradually and consciously reunite the self by descending into the darkness and reconnecting with the HFS. Then the two parts reconcile and continue on together. Drugs make chaos out of this process, but if we don’t challenge people to consciously descend into the darkness voluntarily, then this is what we get since the desires of the entire self can’t be suppressed forever. Especially when that door is flung open with substances.
The low faith self (LFS) will adjust to any version of the world. It will settle because it has low faith. When the HFS brings forth its pessimistic worldview, the LFS has no difficulty adapting to it and maintaining it.

The LFS will adopt the pessimistic worldview but then use substances to help bury and suppress the HFS once again, so as to rid itself of the pain of un-fulfilled desire once the affects of the substance(s) diminishes. The LFS becomes highly resistant to the pain associated with the HFS. Whatever feeing of longing and nostalgia for when both parts of the self were united - those feelings are actively being suppressed as well. Defense mechanisms get layered on top. Addiction becomes in service to suppressing rather than reuniting with the HFS.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What is the right answer to change our problem? Why do we have it? We have all these vivacious religions here, over-friendly Jewish Temples friendly churches, and Mosques, and yet we as Americans can´t find a cure with all our religions here? It would seem that we could cure our problems, but we are in a crisis, the medical field, says our opiate and meth addictions are a national Crisis!
This is a great post.
The Bible gives an answer, but I'm not sure if a few words would suffice.
If you sincerely want to know for your own personal understanding, PM me.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Religions claim to not only have the answer to world problems but be the answers to these issues.
That is true.
In fact, I'm sure you heard that at many sermons you attended. Many have.
Sadly, you hear theses, but see otherwise, so your question is understandable, and a good observation.
You aren't the only one.

RestlessSoul

Think of the self divided into two parts: one of high faith and one of low faith. As a young child, the world can fulfill both the high and low faith self. The self is united and all is good.

As the child grows up and their world gets checked by reality, eventually the high faith self (HFS) is no longer fulfilled by the world. This creates a kind of hell for the self, even for the low faith self (LFS) who is well adjusted enough to the new version of the world if not for the pain of un-fulfilled desire experienced by the the LFS via connection to the HFS.

This results in the LFS cutting off the HFS and casting it into the darkness of unconsciousness in the name of pain relief. While the self is now more adjusted to the world, there is part of it that longs to reunite with the HFS.

Drugs and alcohol have multiple affects, but one is the temporary fulfillment of the HFS and reunification of the self. The HFS is brought back into the light with a renewed hope for the world. However, it brings with it a bunch of baggage that has accumulated over the years from being an outcast in the darkness, including a deeply cynical view of life and the world along with resentment towards the LFS. In short, there is a new hope but also a new hell. Reunification of the self but also deep conflict.

The faith path is supposed to gradually and consciously reunite the self by descending into the darkness and reconnecting with the HFS. Then the two parts reconcile and continue on together. Drugs make chaos out of this process, but if we don’t challenge people to consciously descend into the darkness voluntarily, then this is what we get since the desires of the entire self can’t be suppressed forever. Especially when that door is flung open with substances.

An interesting perspective, thank you. I haven’t read that much Carl Jung, but this idea of the divided self sounds not a million miles from the Jungian psychoanalytic approach to psychic trauma.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think there is always reason for addiction. And person can always reason himself out of addiction, if he wants so.
Your glib reaction shows remarkable lack of understanding.

It is an uphill battle, requiring great willpower, against the chemical and/or psychological dependence that has been created. You can't just snap your fingers and get out of it. The degree of willpower people have, to accomplish long-term goals at the cost of short term distress and deprivation, varies greatly. Why do you think we have so many organisations devoted to helping people surmount the barrier - and so many medical treatments designed to help people wean themselves off certain substances? (Answer: because it is damned difficult.)

PureX

Veteran Member
I think there is always reason for addiction. And person can always reason himself out of addiction, if he wants so.
The definition of addiction is based on the fact that we cannot reason our way out of it. We have lost control over the substance or activity that we are addicted to. Reason, desire and will power cannot overcome an addiction.

Your glib reaction shows remarkable lack of understanding.

It is an uphill battle, requiring great willpower, against the chemical and/or psychological dependence that has been created. You can't just snap your fingers and get out of it. The degree of willpower people have, to accomplish long-term goals at the cost of short term distress and deprivation, varies greatly. Why do you think we have so many organisations devoted to helping people surmount the barrier - and so many medical treatments designed to help people wean themselves off certain substances? (Answer: because it is damned difficult.)
I don't claim it is easy.

The definition of addiction is based on the fact that we cannot reason our way out of it. We have lost control over the substance or activity that we are addicted to. Reason, desire and will power cannot overcome an addiction.
Sorry, I disagree with that. I think it is possible, if person really wants so, but it can be difficult. The difficulty comes from that person likes much about the matter, has not enough motivation and can easily always justify why it is not too bad to continue in the addiction. But, all actions humans make, have always some reason and therefore by reasoning one can also quit.

PureX

Veteran Member
My own experience is that total surrender to sobriety/recovery is the only way to overcome an addiction.

Habits can be very difficult to overcome, but it can be done with a strong enough will (desire, practice, persistence, etc.). But addiction is beyond that. There is no controlling it with willpower, or desire, or reasoning. It's a form of insanity. The only way I know of escaping it is to relinquish the whole idea of self-control and turn it over to a higher power. Usually in the form of some type of a recovery group. We have to stop doing things our way and just do what we're told until we can learn how to think and live a new way. A sober way.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sorry, I disagree with that. I think it is possible, if person really wants so, but it can be difficult. The difficulty comes from that person likes much about the matter, has not enough motivation and can easily always justify why it is not too bad to continue in the addiction. But, all actions humans make, have always some reason and therefore by reasoning one can also quit.
It's demonstrably true that addiction re-wires the reward pathways in your brain so that you become physically and psychologically dependent upon the drug(s). On top of that, a lot of people use drugs to self-medicate, which means that they're using them to deal with mental illness, trauma, etc.

I've never met a drug addict who enjoyed being a drug addict. Have you?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You should become aware that addiction literally rewires your brain. Some people are never able to quit, despite their best of intentions. And those who quit often struggle with wanting the drug or alcohol for the rest of their lives.

IndigoChild5559

What is the right answer to change our problem? Why do we have it? We have all these vivacious religions here, over-friendly Jewish Temples friendly churches, and Mosques, and yet we as Americans can´t find a cure with all our religions here? It would seem that we could cure our problems, but we are in a crisis, the medical field, says our opiate and meth addictions are a national Crisis!
I have worked as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor in comprehensive rehab programs that integrate the best of medicine, psychology, and religion. And still, most of the addicts we work with return to using. This is the Dark Ages of treating addiction.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Except in this case dopamine is synonymous with motivation, and when a person is addicted to many substances their bodies are physically incapable of creating the motivation they would have but for the addiction. While it is not impossible for some people to quit, it is impossible for others regardless of the motivation involved.

As to reasoning, our mind is very capable of rationalizing actions. People who are suffering with substance use addiction are fighting against their own minds working full tilt to justify continued use.

IndigoChild5559

Except in this case dopamine is synonymous with motivation, and when a person is addicted to many substances their bodies are physically incapable of creating the motivation they would have but for the addiction. While it is not impossible for some people to quit, it is impossible for others regardless of the motivation involved.
Thank you for this apt summary. I hope it will help those who think that addicts can just use will power to quite to come to understand that this idea is woefully flawed.

Then you shouldn't say a person can "always reason himself out of addiction if he wants to".
Being difficult doesn't mean it is not possible.
That suggests, not only that it is simply a matter of applying reason, but also implies that those that fail to get out of addiction don't "really want to".
The way is simple. The difficulty comes from that it is not easy to reject something that one thinks is extremely desirable. Way to get rid of a such thing is to first understand why one desires the thing and after that how to be without it, if it is not a good thing. I think it essentially comes to what person really wants. I believe alcoholic for example could want to get rid of it, but he wants still more the alcohol, or what he gets from the alcohol than to be without it. In that case, I think crucial thing is to understand, what is the matter one gets from alcohol. And then learn to have it without alcohol, if it is not a bad thing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Being difficult doesn't mean it is not possible.

The way is simple. The difficulty comes from that it is not easy to reject something that one thinks is extremely desirable. Way to get rid of a such thing is to first understand why one desires the thing and after that how to be without it, if it is not a good thing. I think it essentially comes to what person really wants. I believe alcoholic for example could want to get rid of it, but he wants still more the alcohol, or what he gets from the alcohol than to be without it. In that case, I think crucial thing is to understand, what is the matter one gets from alcohol. And then learn to have it without alcohol, if it is not a bad thing.
Nope. You are entirely ignoring the effects of physical and psychological dependence, both of which operate below the radar of a person's reason.

I suggest you read a bit on the subject of addiction and how to treat it.

Last edited: