• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving Tips

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
youtube has a call word.....fail

attach that word to anything that you want to see....fail

like a coil of sheet metal that failed to stop when the driver had to slam on the brakes
That's why you X strap or X chain. It's not recognized as securement by by DOT and is not mandated , but it's an awesome insurance policy. It's probably a good thing it wasn't greasy bar.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't forget one twist is recommended in the straps, and don't build the strap up in the spool. Pull the strap straight through and then ratchet, tie up the slack. Check straps after 1 hour of driving and 3 hours increments for the remainder of the trip.

For loads like sharp metals, brick and concrete and such. Use Edge protectors.

Most importantly check the load limit on your straps and use the appropriate amount!!!!!!
Of course, I carry edge protectors...several different kinds because my loads are oddly shaped.
The one twist thing is useful to prevent long spans of strap from singing in the wind.
But that's a rare thing for me...few of my loads are that tall.
But I do collect hammers....they're about 9' tall.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some tips for visitors driving in France (and much of Europe)

Many roads are old, think horse and cart, just wide enough for a typical European car. Big beasts dont fair well. And remember places where you can drive into the grass if you meet a vehicle coming the opposite way

Unlike many American roads roads over here have bends, remember what the steering wheel is for.

An odd law in France is "La priorité à droite" - priority to the right. Learn about it before hitting the road or an insurance claim is imminent.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
where I live.....the left lane is for passing....
not cruising

don't be a dick

get the 'bleep'......over to the right

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
there's a low lying spot in the highway on my way home for the weekend
on one occasion .....a tanker had landed on it's side in the median

it was spitting something .....as the contents were now under pressure
liquids in a container tend to squirt if the container is heavily dented

so.....the traffic slows to a crawl
not for the danger of passing an accident
oh no

everyone was gawking at the wreck

I'm like.....GET AWAY FROM THAT
GET MOVING
IT COULD EXPLODE

but no.....and I had to creep past the wreck like everyone else
taking my chances on getting flashed if the load should ignite

Was behind a Tractor Trailer, once on a major highway, after a rare and minor hurricane hit my area, he literally stopped, on a large bridge, blocked traffic, to look at how high the water was. Now I don't know about you, but the last place I want to spend more time than necessary is on a bridge, over a major river, during a flood.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Was behind a Tractor Trailer, once on a major highway, after a rare and minor hurricane hit my area, he literally stopped, on a large bridge, blocked traffic, to look at how high the water was. Now I don't know about you, but the last place I want to spend more time than necessary is on a bridge, over a major river, during a flood.
two thumbs up.....
(we don't have icons for that)

Katja

--Use your turn signal. Every time.
--You do not need to slow to nearly a stop to round a corner. If you do, you need to drive a smaller car you can control.
--If you cannot park it, buy something smaller.
--When at a light in traffic, pay attention. Nobody behind you wants to get stuck at the light because you were like molasses in January when it turned green and took forever to go through. Everybody wants to get through this light; do your part and GO when it's time. (Green = Gas = Go; notice how they all start with G; this should be a hint.)
--If the person in front of you is going the same speed as the car in front of them, no amount of honking will make them go faster; physics usually dictates that matter can't share space and they're probably not willing to run up the other guy's rear bumper on your behalf.
--Pay attention to what's going on around you and more than ten feet in front of your car; if the cars in front of you have been slowing for the last half mile (or you see the light turning red way up there), don't zoom up behind them and then slam on the brakes. Also, your car does slow down ahead of time (this is also physics); maybe ease up on the gas to naturally slow down before you get there.
--Honking and flashing your lights is as rude as walking up behind someone and yelling "MOVE!"
--Conversely, it's perfectly okay to actually go the speed limit in most cases (assuming road and weather conditions permit); try it some time.
--Trying to intimidate other drivers by riding their rear or honking could backfire on you one day; you'll either meet someone with a hot temper and a firearm, or a driver so timid they'll freak out and cause a crash.
--If your lane is ending and I (or someone else) is letting you in, GET OVER. There is no law that says you have to hug that stupid little line and ride it over until it's gone. Get over immediately. I'm not riding my brake waiting for you forever.
--If we are on a freeway on-ramp, STEP ON IT. In a few feet we need to be going 55-75 mph to merge with traffic; you going 20-30 mph doesn't cut it.
--When merging, it's a cinch: car already in the lane goes, car merging goes, car already in the lane goes, car merging goes. Wait your turn or let someone in, depending on which lane you're in. Other merging advice, which goes back to "pay attention to what's going on around you": if we're in adjacent lanes, and you want to get into my lane and my blinker is on for your lane, let's be smart about it and both change when we have room, and then it works... otherwise one person has to get over first and there's this awkward jam until the second one clues in and goes over.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
never drive sideways down the thruway in a snow storm
From experience....
Doing 360s while skiing is fun.
Doing 360s on a snowy expressway is scary.
(Once was enuf for that last one. Dang teenagers!)

I assume that anyone in front of me might brake check me.
So I back off.
This is particularly useful in heavy traffic to avoid continually braking.
I just pick an average speed such that the slack in front waxes & wanes.
For your viewing pleasure (some profanity)....

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From experience....

Doing 360s on a frozen lake is fun ... from experience. (Since our climate is drier, there were years when we got thick ice before any snow.) Wind (a tarp for a sail) skating was fun too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
From experience....

So I back off.
One lesson learned. Never brake check with a motorcycle.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I assume my fellow motorist is mentally challenged

they think of their vehicle as an extension of their home

it is not

it's never about defending your rights to the highway
you don't have any

I drive to avoid being near the crazy jerk beside me
behind me
in front of me

and did someone mention.....physics?
spot the dash line on the pavement as the vehicle ahead of you passes by it
if it reaches you in less than a four count......you cannot stop quick enough
if he happens to slam on the brakes

Wu Wei

From experience....

So I back off.

Something like that happened to me, years ago, one night in Boston. A car stopped short in front of me and I hit it. No damage to my old Buick. but the Toyota did not look so good. And then...the Toyota took off....I am guessing it may have been a stolen car the way he took off, running stop signs and red lights.

Also been sideways in front of a tractor trailer during a winter storm on the mass pike. Had a school bus stop short in front of me one afternoon, after school, my senior year in high school. The roads were wet and it is interesting watching yourself slide sideways towards the bus in the reflection in the glass of the emergency door. But. luckily, the bus hit the gas and took off and I let off the break and straightened out. Also was sideways in front of a tractor trailer during a snow storm on the Mass Pike. But my car decided to stop doing sine waves at the last minute. straightened out and avoided the truck..

Which brings me to another driving tip..... don't try and figure out algebra problems by using your car on a major highway during a snowstorm

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which brings me to another driving tip..... don't try and figure out algebra problems by using your car on a major highway during a snowstorm
I have that done that while walking though.
Really.
It's possible for even uneducated groundskeepers
to derive the time dilation equation in one's noggin.
(It was a really long walk.)

Wu Wei

I have that done that while walking though.
Really.
It's possible for even uneducated groundskeepers
to derive the time dilation equation in one's noggin.
(It was a really long walk.)

So that was YOU who was carving things like
t = t0/(1-v2/c2)1/2
Into the trees on the Appalachian trail