• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress Code

Rhiamom

I have met a few Conservative Jews who are ovo-lacto vegetarians, including a rabbi. It certainly does make the meat-dairy separation simpler!

Levite

Higher and Higher
I have met a few Conservative Jews who are ovo-lacto vegetarians, including a rabbi. It certainly does make the meat-dairy separation simpler!

Sure, but the question was asked regarding Charedi Jews, or specifically Chasidic Jews. That's a very different social context than Liberal Judaism (i.e., the non-Orthodox movements, of which Conservative Judaism is one).

Rhiamom

Sure, but the question was asked regarding Charedi Jews, or specifically Chasidic Jews. That's a very different social context than Liberal Judaism (i.e., the non-Orthodox movements, of which Conservative Judaism is one).

Of course it is. And sorry for the necromancy. I am just intrigued by the different ways various groups of Jewish people regard vegetarianism, veganism, and how it does or does not relate to the meat-dairy separation in their minds. Is not a pareve meal always vegetarian? It can be, and even if it includes fish and not just dairy there are piscatorian vegetarians, too.

Rhiamom

Ohhhh. I've been studying midrash Sifrei Devarim on Parshat Shoftim, so I had something else totally in my head....
Oh, yeah, that would put your head in a different space. Nope, no reanimating of living creatures intended, no divination using entrails, nothing like that.

Look, I am a fairly recent Hebrew-deficient Conservative convert, presumed Anusah based on family customs. I have huge and glaring gaps in my knowledge. I understand quite a few of the more common Hebrew words from three years of misery on the Amazon Judaism Discussion forum, where I labor to keep the Orthodox viewpoint from being the only allowed voice. (It really annoys them that they cannot dismiss me as Not Jewish because even an Orthodox rabbi has asked me if I wished to pursue Orthodox recognition of my Jewish status. My case is strong, but not real proof.)