• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreaming of the Dead

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I haven't been here in forever so just delete this if there is already a similar thread! Gracias! :D

What do you think it means to dream of the dead? Do you think it's a manifestation of our own desires to see our loved ones again? Or do you think it's possible that that is one way they can "communicate" with us?

I've dreamt of my dad twice (that I can remember). The first one I had a year ago, I'd say. I saw him in his car that he had while he was living. We were at a gas station, and I saw him but he didn't see me. He drove out of the gas station lot and I remember thinking/feeling that he was alive somehow/somewhere and that he was perfectly okay, but he could no longer be on Earth. The second one I had last week. I was in a McDonald's/Starbucks (lolz) getting coffee and I saw him sitting in a booth. A pang of fear shot through me for just a second because I knew, even though I was dreaming, that he is dead. But I walked over, sat in the seat across from him. He just started smiling...a big, happy smile. And I smiled a big, happy smile back. And that's it. We just smiled at each other. (I think there were spoken words but I couldn't remember once I woke up.) The feelings I had were peaceful, happy and soothing. I also felt pride coming from him, like he was proud of me. And I got the feeling I had in the first dream -- that he was okay and happy and at peace.

I don't know what to think of these dreams, but I'd like to think they mean that he is happy and in no pain wherever he is.

Anyone else dream of the dead? What are your interpretations?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have had a few dreams of my dad since his death and I tend to agree with what you have said. There was a distinct surreal aspect to the dreams that made them stand out. I remember saying something like, "So much for death, eh?" and he just smiled a beautiful smile. In another he was standing at the end of a long hallway in front of an open door. Beyond the door was a brilliant light. He was rather pleased to see me. ON that occasion all I really remember is that laughingly he said something like, "You were right all along." That has some troubling aspects from a waking perspective, but it was rather interesting hearing it nonetheless. I don't rule out that it is possibly a very creative way of my beliefs becoming more concrete.

On another occasion my mom had, what to her was, a disturbing dream about her dad. He was perfectly fit and happy to see her and then went running off down a garden path where she literally saw him transform into a beautiful little puppy - but with my Granddad's same dark brown eyes. After thinking about it awhile, I decided that it was an attempt on my Granddad's part to show that he was no longer who he had been, but his was still the cuddly, lovable person she once new.

I guess what makes me a bit weird is I don't believe in death, aside from the obvious physical cessation, while hotly rejecting any notions about an afterlife that is described in the world's religions. I believe in an "afterlife" as it were, but not one bound by petty judgment scenes, endless worship or endless pain. It's all good, but the theist are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What do you think it means to dream of the dead?
I'd say it could mean different thing, depending on the nature of the dream.

Do you think it's a manifestation of our own desires to see our loved ones again?
That could definitely be part of it.

Or do you think it's possible that that is one way they can "communicate" with us?
And that could also be part of it.

I don't know what to think of these dreams, but I'd like to think they mean that he is happy and in no pain wherever he is.
Personally, I think that's entirely possible. But you know, that's just me as one of those dumb theists speaking. ;) Your second dream sounded awesome! Didn't you just wake up feeling wonderful? I know I would have.

I've dreamed about both of my parents since they died. None of my dreams have been particularly noteworthy. About a year before my father died, though, I had a dream that he had died, and it really made his death easier on me when it actually happened. For most of my dad's life, he had had a really severe hearing loss. It had made life really difficult for him. He wasn't completely deaf, but probably about 80% and he was just three weeks short of his 83rd birthday when he died (really suddenly, even though he hadn't been in great heath for a few years). Anyway, the dream was really quite bizarre in a lot of ways. We we on our way to his funeral. I don't know were my mom was or why she wasn't with us. It was just him, my sister and me. He was driving and he looked to be in his late 50's or early 60's. :D It had always been next to impossible to talk to him in the car, partly because you couldn't directly face him and partly because of the sound of the engine. But in this dream, he was just carrying on a conversation with my sister and me like it was no big deal. I remember that in the dream, it dawned on me that even though he was "dead," he wasn't lifeless. His hearing loss was completely gone and he was happy. As I sat talking to him, I thought, "Wow. So this is what it's like when somebody dies! It's not bad at all!" In the next "scene" of my dream, we were standing at the bottom of a staircase at what I suppose was the funeral home. He was dressed in a sharp-looking suit and looked so distinguished. I told him how great he looked and he smiled and thanked me. We talked for a few minutes, and then he told me it was time for him to go. I gave him a big hug and told him I was going to miss him. He told me he was going to miss me, too. Then he turned and walked up the stairs like it was no big deal.

I really, really believe you're dad was telling you that he's doing great and is happy. I wish you could believe that.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I believe in an "afterlife" as it were, but not one bound by petty judgment scenes, endless worship or endless pain. It's all good, but the theist are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Hey, now that sounds about right to me. It's unbelievable how obsessed I've become with this subject. And it seems to have manifested in a paranoia over death. I didn't realize these 2 things might be connected until a friend said, "I think you are SO consumed with death and dying because you have absolutely no clue what's going to happen afterward." Maybe she's right. I don't know HOW to know, though. And it seems horribly unfair/odd that I may go to "hell" just because I don't happen to figure it out before I die. :shrug: A little OT, though. Me and my tangents! :rolleyes:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I do believe we can see our departed yes. Sometimes it might be our desires, however, that doesn't make it not valid. In magic our desires can be powerful.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Personally, I think that's entirely possible. But you know, that's just me as one of those dumb theists speaking. ;) Your second dream sounded awesome! Didn't you just wake up feeling wonderful? I know I would have.

I did! I woke up happy and feeling very fortunate for having or somehow being given that dream.

I've dreamed about both of my parents since they died. None of my dreams have been particularly noteworthy. About a year before my father died, though, I had a dream that he had died, and it really made his death easier on me when it actually happened. For most of my dad's life, he had had a really severe hearing loss. It had made life really difficult for him. He wasn't completely deaf, but probably about 80% and he was just three weeks short of his 83rd birthday when he died (really suddenly, even though he hadn't been in great heath for a few years). Anyway, the dream was really quite bizarre in a lot of ways. We we on our way to his funeral. I don't know were my mom was or why she wasn't with us. It was just him, my sister and me. He was driving and he looked to be in his late 50's or early 60's. :D It had always been next to impossible to talk to him in the car, partly because you couldn't directly face him and partly because of the sound of the engine. But in this dream, he was just carrying on a conversation with my sister and me like it was no big deal. I remember that in the dream, it dawned on me that even though he was "dead," he wasn't lifeless. His hearing loss was completely gone and he was happy. As I sat talking to him, I thought, "Wow. So this is what it's like when somebody dies! It's not bad at all!" In the next "scene" of my dream, we were standing at the bottom of a staircase at what I suppose was the funeral home. He was dressed in a sharp-looking suit and looked so distinguished. I told him how great he looked and he smiled and thanked me. We talked for a few minutes, and then he told me it was time for him to go. I gave him a big hug and told him I was going to miss him. He told me he was going to miss me, too. Then he turned and walked up the stairs like it was no big deal.

That is so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes! :yes:

I really, really believe you're dad was telling you that he's doing great and is happy. I wish you could believe that.

At first I was like "Ehh...no..." but then I was like, "Stacey, seriously? Your dad probably used all his "ghosty mojo" to work out a dream scenario for you and you reject it? I don't think so!" So I absolutely believe it and am so thankful for it!

What is troubling me now, though, is last night's dream. :sad: To make a long, confusing dream short: it was my dad again, but he was trying to kill me. I had done something wrong (I had NO idea what) and he, I and my mom were living in my step-grandma's house. Two parts that stood out: I was walking outside and looked at him through a window. He was talking on the phone and just gave me this evil look like "You know what I'm about to do to you." (ahem, murder me!) The other thing was he and his friends (this seemed to be a younger version of my dad, so these would be him and his teenaged friends) were in a car in the driveway, about 50 feet away from where I was on the front porch. This was when he was going to kill me. My mom and her friend walked inside (not helping me) and I was hiding behind a pillar. I ran for the front door, trying to get it open. It was taking too long so I started moving around trying not to be an easy target. He shot anyway, aiming for my head. I got the door open right after that and he had missed me.

WHAT IN HELL?!?! VERY odd, very disturbing. So, while I absolutely believe in the GOOD dreams I had about my dad, it just kinda seems to take away their value when a dream like this happens. It makes it seem like they're just dreams after all. But my dad is probably going :facepalm: because I'm letting this weird, messed up dream confuse me. I know the shooting in the head thing stems from watching a rather messed up episode of The Vampire Diaries the night before :D and maybe everything else just crumbled into the dream. This will be the 3rd time I've dreamt of him that I can recall, though. What a ****** dream since the other 2 were blissful. Ugh. And odd since the other 2 were spaced so far apart.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I did! I woke up happy and feeling very fortunate for having or somehow being given that dream.
That's really neat. I'm so glad it affected you that way.

That is so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes! :yes:
Yeah, it was really, really special to me.

At first I was like "Ehh...no..." but then I was like, "Stacey, seriously? Your dad probably used all his "ghosty mojo" to work out a dream scenario for you and you reject it? I don't think so!" So I absolutely believe it and am so thankful for it!
LOL! That's cool. I'm glad you came to that conclusion.

WHAT IN HELL?!?! VERY odd, very disturbing. So, while I absolutely believe in the GOOD dreams I had about my dad, it just kinda seems to take away their value when a dream like this happens. It makes it seem like they're just dreams after all. But my dad is probably going :facepalm: because I'm letting this weird, messed up dream confuse me.
I agree, that would be really upsetting, and I think your dad probably is doing just what you said he is...:facepalm:. On the other hand, he probably knows you pretty well and is thinking, "That's my stacey bo bacey. Always trying to make things more complicated than they need to be." ;)

I know the shooting in the head thing stems from watching a rather messed up episode of The Vampire Diaries the night before :D and maybe everything else just crumbled into the dream.
Well, back in my first post on this thread, I answered your question about what it means to dream of the dead, by saying, "I'd say it could mean different thing, depending on the nature of the dream." I think a whole lot of our dreams are just a conglomeration of things that are kind of sitting there in our subconscious. I know that after a particularly weird dream, I can usually figure out the source of a lot of the really bizarre elements. They generally tie in some way back to some little thing that happened the day before. They just get way twisted in the process. That's why I don't put a whole lot of stock in most dreams. I just think they're part of the process by which we unwind at night. But when I have a dream like the one of my dad driving himself to his own funeral ;), I somehow know that it's meant to convey something important to me. Hopefully, you can come to that same conclusion rather than giving them all equal weight.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, I had a dream of my uncle who died. I didn't get along with him. He gave me a hug and we said we loved each other. I haven't had one since. My guess is that he visited me to make amends before moving on. I no longer have strong negative feelings towards him.