• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dream Symbols

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a puzzling dream last night.

I won't get into the whole thing. I'm no stranger to dream interpretation, but one aspect is really confusing me. The focus was my sister's neighbor's house.

I'm trying to figure out what significance the house has. It has a little background to it; it was my childhood friend's house. It was always fairly run down, but in recent years someone bought it and fixed it up. I find that messes with my head in a negative way every time I pass it, though the friend or the fact that it was his home never came up in my head while dreaming; more central was the fact that it was next door to my sister.

Any hints?

(Please don't participate here if you think dream interpretation is a bunch of hooey. I am looking for helpful answers.)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
According to Jung, houses represent your psyche as a whole: the living space being your consciousness and ego, the attic or upstairs your superego and social self, and the basement or sublevel your id and subconscious self.

Possibly, it represents something changing in the relationship between you and your sister that's also changing how you view the world?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
According to Jung, houses represent your psyche as a whole: the living space being your consciousness and ego, the attic or upstairs your superego and social self, and the basement or sublevel your id and subconscious self.

Possibly, it represents something changing in the relationship between you and your sister that's also changing how you view the world?

To add to this, I wonder if it being a childhood friend's home is meant to represent your relationship with your sister during that time? Maybe the fact that it's changing is a way of paralleling a change in your sibling relationship.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Oddly, the house had been turned into a temple for Goddess Anna[purna](though, I think it was spelled Ana on her plaque). I looked up goddess Ana, and it brought up Annapurna(Hindu goddess of food). But there was also mention of Devi Ana being referred to as spirit possession. And that's when I got thoroughly confused.

The house felt good. I was really happy that there was a temple nearby(our temple in a two hour drive). I think the only interaction I had with my sister in the dream. was to tell her hello and good bye as I parked in her driveway!

(I think another thing I probably should have added was I asked for answers on where I should be focusing my time before bed, with hopes I'd get a dream response.)

To add to this, I wonder if it being a childhood friend's home is meant to represent your relationship with your sister during that time? Maybe the fact that it's changing is a way of paralleling a change in your sibling relationship.

My sister's house is also the home I grew up in(she bought it from Dad). Not sure if that's meaningful.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Oddly, the house had been turned into a temple for Goddess Anna[purna](though, I think it was spelled Ana on her plaque). I looked up goddess Ana, and it brought up Annapurna(Hindu goddess of food). But there was also mention of Devi Ana being referred to as spirit possession. And that's when I got thoroughly confused.

The house felt good. I was really happy that there was a temple nearby(our temple in a two hour drive). I think the only interaction I had with my sister in the dream. was to tell her hello and good bye as I parked in her driveway!

(I think another thing I probably should have added was I asked for answers on where I should be focusing my time before bed, with hopes I'd get a dream response.)

My sister's house is also the home I grew up in(she bought it from Dad). Not sure if that's meaningful.

I often dream of the house I grew up in. :) I think it reflects the impact early memories have on us!

Is food something particularly important to you? I mean beyond the obvious. :D Like are you a cook? Did you and your sister cook together? Are you dieting? Do you use food in religious ritual?

On a basic level, it may mean you want to somehiw nourish your relationship with family? Would that make sense?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I often dream of the house I grew up in. :) I think it reflects the impact early memories have on us!

They really can! I dream of my childhood house occasionally, but I find I dream of my first workplace more; always, I need to leave(I was the only one on the shift) due to emergency, and having to find a way to sneak off and come back undetected. I suspect those are stress induced dreams, though. I've never given them much thought, and they don't occur enough to trouble.

Is food something particularly important to you? I mean beyond the obvious. :D Like are you a cook? Did you and your sister cook together? Are you dieting? Do you use food in religious ritual?

I am obsessed with food! I cook as a hobby; stuff from around the world. I don't cook with my sister, though. I do have a friend that comes over weekly to bake a cake, though.

I'm not dieting, but I am exploring my relationship with food. I have a problem with compulsive eating. I understand that candy and chips are bad for me, but I don't understand why I can't seem to stop myself for going back for thirds of that vegetable curry, even though my tummy's stuffed.

I do offer food to my deities. :)

On a basic level, it may mean you want to somehiw nourish your relationship with family? Would that make sense?

Nourish a relationship with something, for sure. Roots, maybe? Family didn't seem to come up much.

Strangely, it wouldn't bother me at all if my sister moved and the family home was torn down(other than the fact I have deceased pets buried in her yard). But I don't really like it when they change the neighbor's house around. I think I liked being there more than I liked being at my own house.

Hm...

Renewing and nourishing something seems to hit head on.

Thanks for all the help, by the way!