• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drawing on Canvas

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im in the middle of doing a project (first one, mind you). I am more of a sketch artist than a painter if I were to pick the two visual arts. Im looking for color pencils that stand out on the canvas material. I have color pencils but I wanted to know if there are any better colored tools to make the picture stand out without messing up the canvas and making the art look artificial or dull.

Any ideas?

David T

Premium Member
Im in the middle of doing a project (first one, mind you). I am more of a sketch artist than a painter if I were to pick the two visual arts. Im looking for color pencils that stand out on the canvas material. I have color pencils but I wanted to know if there are any better colored tools to make the picture stand out without messing up the canvas and making the art look artificial or dull.

Any ideas?
First Arches water colour blocks of paper awesome for color pencil. I really liked but ouch expensive. At least for paper it is so smooth.

So In regards to your question i might explore oil pastels combined with colored pencils. I have done stuff with oil pastels a tiny bit very cool medium but combining the two might kick up the colored pencil a bit and give you what you want.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
pencils generally do not stay on canvas very well, if the canvas is jostled or flicked you can knock of loads of graphite, or charcoal, or oil pastel, or practically any other drawing material you might use that isn't a liquid. Drawing materials need a sealant or glass placed over the canvas when it is done.

If you are using pencils as a guide tool for later paint/water color/ink you will be creating more work for yourself as you will need to layer the less permanent (opaque) colors over your guidelines.

Depending on the coarseness of your canvas, you will go through A LOT of pencils. I suggest sticking to paper, as the canvas will just grind away at your drawing instruments. You will find that it is much cheaper in the long run.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
pencils generally do not stay on canvas very well, if the canvas is jostled or flicked you can knock of loads of graphite, or charcoal, or oil pastel, or practically any other drawing material you might use that isn't a liquid. Drawing materials need a sealant or glass placed over the canvas when it is done.

If you are using pencils as a guide tool for later paint/water color/ink you will be creating more work for yourself as you will need to layer the less permanent (opaque) colors over your guidelines.

Depending on the coarseness of your canvas, you will go through A LOT of pencils. I suggest sticking to paper, as the canvas will just grind away at your drawing instruments. You will find that it is much cheaper in the long run.

Thanks. I was reading about toning the surface of the canvas before using it to create a smooth tone. I don't know if gesso would so the same?

I'm not really a painter so much to get the effect I want. Lots of practice. I do better with sketch art. I'd like to do it wear it's similar look to paint (not texture but a strong pronounced look rather than dull).

Hmm. Isn't liquid. Good to know that. What I'm creating is detailed. I have a draft on sketch paper. Unless there is another backboard I can use rather than a canvas.

I'm still in the brainstorm stage so it will take awhile. Thank you for the heads up with the nonoil material.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
First Arches water colour blocks of paper awesome for color pencil. I really liked but ouch expensive. At least for paper it is so smooth.

So In regards to your question i might explore oil pastels combined with colored pencils. I have done stuff with oil pastels a tiny bit very cool medium but combining the two might kick up the colored pencil a bit and give you what you want.

Is oil pastel similar to oil sticks? I was looking it up and maybe stick would be easier to use. Don't know.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Thanks. I was reading about toning the surface of the canvas before using it to create a smooth tone. I don't know if gesso would so the same?

I'm not really a painter so much to get the effect I want. Lots of practice. I do better with sketch art. I'd like to do it wear it's similar look to paint (not texture but a strong pronounced look rather than dull).

Hmm. Isn't liquid. Good to know that. What I'm creating is detailed. I have a draft on sketch paper. Unless there is another backboard I can use rather than a canvas.

I'm still in the brainstorm stage so it will take awhile. Thank you for the heads up with the nonoil material.

You can be just as detailed with paint as with a pencil. get stiff fine point brushes. OR how big you wanna go with that canvas, you can just blow up the detail to make it easier.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've had excellent luck with plain old pastels, both in stick and pencil form. While not at all abrasion resistant like paint, behind glass they hold up exceedingly well. The two pictured here are more than twenty-five years old and are just as bright and stable as the day I made them. They were done on artist grade pastel board. I often use a colored board that comes close to the overall hue of the piece

Art Work & Art Info 017.JPG

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Here's a sketched I did of my former friends. He's been in a group home for years since his sister put him in there even though he had nothing wrong and a place to stay.

I remember he and I were looking at the children play and come off the school bus. He looked as if he missed not being free and it brought him to tears.

I love sketching. I'm working on the painting.
IMG_20181103_165806259.jpg