• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Dodger Wants Military Parade

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Funny, no one complained when Obama attended military parades, and he wasn’t in the military ever either.
Obama's military mishaps were fairly frequent and received a fair amount of criticism. But he tended to rely on empty bravado a lot less than Trump.

More to the point, I don't recall offhand any time when he decided to request a military parade just because.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'll wager Cadet Bone Spurs was never against the Viet Nam War, he was just against himself participating in it.
FWIW, while it would have been nice if he had tried to help other people avoid the draft, I don't fault him for avoiding it himself.

Conscription is slavery. Slavery is evil. Avoid it by whatever means you have at your disposal.

Now... if he's also in favour of the draft for others, then that's a different story, but I haven't heard that he is.

pearl

It is unthinkable to have such a demonstration of military might in this country for a presidents' amusement. It is not a tradition here as it has been if France since the early 1800's?. I suppose he is looking for a bigger parade than N Korea or Russia presents.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Funny, no one complained when Obama attended military parades, and he wasn’t in the military ever either.
These were already scheduled, plus he didn't get five deferments.

We can't get a budget passed, we've already had one shutdown, and yet the Groper-In-Chief wants a special parade that would cost many millions. Maybe if he sucks up even more to Putin, he'd get invited to Moscow to witness a parade there.

Shaul

Premium Member
These were already scheduled, plus he didn't get five deferments.

We can't get a budget passed, we've already had one shutdown, and yet the Groper-In-Chief wants a special parade that would cost many millions. Maybe if he sucks up even more to Putin, he'd get invited to Moscow to witness a parade there.
So what? Bill Clinton got deferments and attended military parades. President Truman, who also never served in the military, even had military participation in his inauguration parade, as have other Presidents including President Kennedy.
There is no evidence that President Trump has ever groped anyone. The parade will cost millions? Where did you get that? They have only just started the planning discussions.

Shaul

Premium Member
It is unthinkable to have such a demonstration of military might in this country for a presidents' amusement. It is not a tradition here as it has been if France since the early 1800's?. I suppose he is looking for a bigger parade than N Korea or Russia presents.
Not only is it not unthinkable but many Presidents have done so including Truman and Kennedy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm a draft dodger, & if I were Prez, I'd want a military parade.
Trump is indeed a jerk, but not because of this.
There are better things to do than rain on his parade.

Shaul

Premium Member
Not sure, but I can think of a lot better things to spend our tax dollars on.
Ok for you, then. Others recognize that military parades exhibit American military prowess which can have a deterrent effect with our adversaries. In other words, they can prevent needless conflicts and save lives. Certainly that would be money well spent.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
FWIW, while it would have been nice if he had tried to help other people avoid the draft, I don't fault him for avoiding it himself.

Conscription is slavery. Slavery is evil. Avoid it by whatever means you have at your disposal.

Now... if he's also in favour of the draft for others, then that's a different story, but I haven't heard that he is.

I dislike almost all of Trump's policies and tactics (except maybe infrastructure spending).

But if I were in his position, I would have done the same thing too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So what? Bill Clinton got deferments and attended military parades. President Truman, who also never served in the military, even had military participation in his inauguration parade, as have other Presidents including President Kennedy.
There is no evidence that President Trump has ever groped anyone. The parade will cost millions? Where did you get that? They have only just started the planning discussions.
My advice:
Don't fall for the "groping" diversion.
It's an attempt to change the subject,
since the parade is hard to criticize.

Btw, I hate parades, so I won't attend.
(No one would invite me anyway...sniff...sniff.)