• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dozens of young boys tortured and killed at Florida school.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Florida School for Boys - Wikipedia

Came across this video today, and found it quite shocking -- largely because as a child, between 8 and 13, I was sent to just such a place in Ottawa. But WHAT a difference.

The US South, and certainly Florida, pride themselves on their fervent Christianity, but the brutality at that school was horrifying. The home I was sent to in Ottawa (called the Protestant Children's Village, but there was nothing about religion to the place at all), helped a lot of kids to heal from horrible childhood abuse. I know they saved my life, and made it possible for me to succeed. No child was ever struck at the PCV. Not ever.

What do you think makes the difference? Why was one so harmful, and the other so helpful?

(For the record, there is very little history on the Protestant Children's Village, but I have an old magazine article from the time that I was there. I'm in it, but I will never tell you who I am. It's worth a read, I think.)

Attachments

• THE HOME THAT REBUILDS CHILDREN (2).pdf
    263.2 KB · Views: 1

Gargovic Malkav

Came across this video today, and found it quite shocking -- largely because as a child, between 8 and 13, I was sent to just such a place in Ottawa. But WHAT a difference.

The US South, and certainly Florida, pride themselves on their fervent Christianity, but the brutality at that school was horrifying. The home I was sent to in Ottawa (called the Protestant Children's Village, but there was nothing about religion to the place at all), helped a lot of kids to heal from horrible childhood abuse. I know they saved my life, and made it possible for me to succeed. No child was ever struck at the PCV. Not ever.

What do you think makes the difference? Why was one so harmful, and the other so helpful?

(For the record, there is very little history on the Protestant Children's Village, but I have an old magazine article from the time that I was there. I'm in it, but I will never tell you who I am. It's worth a read, I think.)

I've seen a documentary like this one before..
It seems this was common procedure in North American Culture...

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
The troubled teen industry in general is still terrible here in the US and is one reason I dont like Dr.Phil. He supports that industry. And that industry has lead to the death of thousands of kids country wide. You know the catch me outside girl? She's spoken out against a place like this one that Dr.Phil sent her to.

VoidCat

This is a video on the place Danielle (the catch me outside girl-I forgot her name till now) made regarding turnabout ranch that Dr.Phil sent her to
(massive trigger warning for abuse)

Last edited:

VoidCat

This is a video on the place Danielle (the catch me outside girl-I forgot her name till now) made regarding turnabout ranch that Dr.Phil sent her to
This video even goes even in more detail(massive trigger warning for abuse)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The troubled teen industry in general is still terrible here in the US and is one reason I dont like Dr.Phil. He supports that industry. And that industry has lead to the death of thousands of kids country wide. You know the catch me outside girl? She's spoken out against a place like this one that Dr.Phil sent her to.

My son went to a "Christian" boot camp and he was not the same person after he came back. He won't say what they did, but I suspect it was bad.

Suave

Simulated character

By the looks of the mass grave where the remains of those boys were buried in unmarked graves, I suspect this state of Floria reform school may have failed to provide a decent, dignified, proper burial for the boys who had succumbed to their illnesses or injuries they likely sustained while in the state's custody.

'In records, the cause of death for the boys was often listed as “unknown” or “accident”, though it is known that a fire in 1914 killed eight boys who had been locked in a room. Others died in flu epidemics. Some runaways were shot."

I hope the bodies there can be identified and then placed to rest in a dignified proper manner.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
By the looks of the mass grave where the remains of those boys were buried in unmarked graves, I suspect this state of Floria reform school may have failed to provide a decent, dignified, proper burial for the boys who had succumbed to their illnesses or injuries they likely sustained while in the state's custody.

'In records, the cause of death for the boys was often listed as “unknown” or “accident”, though it is known that a fire in 1914 killed eight boys who had been locked in a room. Others died in flu epidemics. Some runaways were shot."

I hope the bodies there can be identified and then placed to rest in a dignified proper manner.
"Some runaways were shot."

Wow. As a kid, as screwed up as I was by abuse, I was a runner. I was also, I'm afraid, a little predictable -- I'd usually find the nearest railway tracks and turn left (only occasionally right). And when they found me, did they beat me? No. The first thing they did was ask if I was hungry.

What would make a person of even ordinary intelligence think to shoot a kid who has run away? What was missing from them? What part of their heart had been cauterized? I can't understand!

Suave

Simulated character
"Some runaways were shot."

Wow. As a kid, as screwed up as I was by abuse, I was a runner. I was also, I'm afraid, a little predictable -- I'd usually find the nearest railway tracks and turn left (only occasionally right). And when they found me, did they beat me? No. The first thing they did was ask if I was hungry.

What would make a person of even ordinary intelligence think to shoot a kid who has run away? What was missing from them? What part of their heart had been cauterized? I can't understand!

I don't blame any terrified child for trying to runaway from being abused, I wish these children's custodians would have taken better care of recapturing their runaway children instead of having them hunted down like animals for sport.

Suave

Simulated character
In the United States, runaway children or youth are widely regarded as a chronic and serious social problem. It is estimated that each year, there are between 1.3 and 1.5 million runaway and homeless youth in the United States,"

Thompson, Sanna; Maccio, Elaine; Desselle, Sherry; Zittel-Palamara, Kimberly (August 2007).

"Predictors of Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms Among Runaway Youth Utilizing Two Service Sectors". Journal of Traumatic Stress. 20 (4): 553–563. doi:10.1002/jts.20229. PMC 2776719. PMID 17721973.

There are more than 2,000 unresolved cases of missing children in the U.S.

chttps://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/cjis-link/fbi-releases-2019-missing-person-statistics

Runaway Train 25: NCMEC Initiative to Help Find Missing Kids

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It sounds so familiar with the treatment of Indigenous people sent to catholic schools that resulted in mass graves that were covered up by the church.

Truth in love

I worked with troubled teens in an intense program years back. Chairs and rocks flying stuff. We had to document the tar out of every time we grabbed a kid.

I’ve seen great things come of such program and so bad stuff too. The discipline a troubled child needs and abuse are not as far sort as one would hope. Our learning about power in situations like the Stanford prison experiment make it vital that rules for staff and strictly enforced otherwise it’s just child abuse.

Suave

Simulated character
I worked with troubled teens in an intense program years back. Chairs and rocks flying stuff. We had to document the tar out of every time we grabbed a kid.

I’ve seen great things come of such program and so bad stuff too. The discipline a troubled child needs and abuse are not as far sort as one would hope. Our learning about power in situations like the Stanford prison experiment make it vital that rules for staff and strictly enforced otherwise it’s just child abuse.
I'm am so glad child protective services or youth correctional facilities nowadays treat troubled youths more humanely than the way they used to be treated.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Yours sounds a bit like Boys Town with Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracey.
But it sounds like there were abusive places also, as we should expect,,,,,,,,,,,and the culture of the places remains for years. Maybe the new staff (who would be selected carefully no doubt) get trained into their roles (like the gestapo) and accept them and even think they are doing the best for the boys and the right thing even though they are doing what is evil and indulging their dark side in the process.

Truth in love

Yours sounds a bit like Boys Town with Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracey.
But it sounds like there were abusive places also, as we should expect,,,,,,,,,,,and the culture of the places remains for years. Maybe the new staff (who would be selected carefully no doubt) get trained into their roles (like the gestapo) and accept them and even think they are doing the best for the boys and the right thing even though they are doing what is evil and indulging their dark side in the process.
Yeah there are some pretty well developed psychological manipulation tools in play in many parts of the nation. We see abusive indoctrination in sports, law enforcement, academics etc.