• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dozens arrested in third night of protest

Should police officers be prohibited from making frivolous traffic stops?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • It depends

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
While that's true, we don't riot after every single incident at a moments notice and target stores and shops.

It's more an excuse for people to go out and rob and steal goods.

Make no mistake: there are people who are rioting just to loot and pillage. That's no new thing, either.

But it's interesting how this keeps happening over and over again because of this one issue over the years. It seems ignoring all of the peaceful protesting up until now and just doing nothing about the growing discontent has made things worse.

The last time something happened on this scale was during the civil rights movement of the 60s... There was a lot of civil unrest then, too.

riots-475x311.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Make no mistake: there are people who are rioting just to loot and pillage. That's no new thing, either.

But it's interesting how this keeps happening over and over again because of this one issue over the years. It seems ignoring all of the peaceful protesting up until now and just doing nothing about the growing discontent has made things worse.

The last time something happened on this scale was during the civil rights movement of the 60s... There was a lot of civil unrest then, too.

riots-475x311.png
And the protests, rioting, looting, & arson make for more
news business. Pretty mischief laden feedback loop, eh.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
And the protests, rioting, looting, & arson make for more
news business. Pretty mischief laden feedback loop, eh.

For sure. It does play into both the right and left leaning news outlet's very different narratives.

I don't think news outlets are to blame completely, though. They exaggerate specific elements of current events to reflect the story they want to tell, but ultimately the subject matter in question keeps happening, and it's happening in a very organic and grass roots kind of way.

It's hard to fake or manufacture that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For sure. It does play into both the right and left leaning news outlet's very different narratives.

I don't think news outlets are to blame completely, though. They exaggerate specific elements of current events to reflect the story they want to tell, but ultimately the subject matter in question keeps happening, and it's happening in a very organic and grass roots kind of way.

It's hard to fake or manufacture that.
I fault rightish media for not correcting the false impression
that only blacks are shot & abused by cops. Perhaps they're
hesitant to make cops look even worse? But people should
know that the problem is even larger than they see.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well, the same exact thing if someone had refused to pay the ticket after having it given by an officer in person. Not sure what difference the mode of initial delivery makes.
Never had a cop let me pay a ticket on the spot. You get a ticket and a court date and sometimes the option to mail in your fine. No pay or no show= warrant issued then when you come into contact with them you arrest them for the warrant.

Remind me here.... were they going to arrest him for his tags or for his warrant(s)?

We Never Know

No Slack
I fault rightish media for not correcting the false impression
that only blacks are shot & abused by cops. Perhaps they're
hesitant to make cops look even worse? But people should
know that the problem is even larger than they see.
Yes its is but other races who are shot by cops don't make national news. They only make it national news if its a black person.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then when you come into contact with them you arrest them for the warrant.

Remind me here.... were they going to arrest him for his tags or for his warrant(s)?
And here's the thing....
I hear NPR presenting this as just a traffic stop....no mention
of his having an outstanding warrant, resisting arrest, & trying
to flee. Of course he shouldn't have been shot. But neither
should the media misrepresent the circumstances for the
purpose of inflaming passions.

We Never Know

No Slack
And here's the thing....

Two warrants.
1. For possession of a firearm without a permit.
2. Previously fleeing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He shouldn't have tried to resist arrest and run from the cops, too. He would still be here if he hadn't.
He should've taken the advice in the Chris Rock PSA.
I've little sympathy for those who commit crimes, resist
arrest, & flee. The cop wouldn't have made that deadly
mistake if the perp didn't add to his list of crimes, thereby
provoking the cops to escalate the conflict.

We Never Know

No Slack
And here's the thing....

Here's the link with the two warrants.

Warrants were gross misdemeanor carrying a pistol without a permit and misdemeanor fleeing police.
https://bringmethenews-com.cdn.ampp...ng-of-daunte-wright-heres-what-we-know-so-far

For reference...
In United States law, a gross misdemeanor is a crime which is more serious than a regular misdemeanor, but is still classified as a minor crime, as opposed to serious crimes. Such crimes may include petty theft, simple assault or driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Never had a cop let me pay a ticket on the spot. You get a ticket and a court date and sometimes the option to mail in your fine. No pay or no show= warrant issued then when you come into contact with them you arrest them for the warrant.

Exactly, just like if you are mailed notice of your ticket initially. No need for a personal ticket delivery for expired tabs.

I'm not sure, honestly. I'm not that well acquainted with this particular case. If he had warrants, though, that's a bit different than expired tabs. Pulling someone over for warrants is going to end in an arrest, so that's definitely not frivolous.

We Never Know

No Slack
Exactly, just like if you are mailed notice of your ticket initially. No need for a personal ticket delivery for expired tabs.

I'm not sure, honestly. I'm not that well acquainted with this particular case. If he had warrants, though, that's a bit different than expired tabs. Pulling someone over for warrants is going to end in an arrest, so that's definitely not frivolous.

They pulled him over for his tags, ran his name and found out he had two warrants.

Suave

Simulated character

riots-475x311.png
For the interest of public safety as well as maintaining law and order, a Chinese University has developed a riot control robot capable of administering electric shocks to nearby rioters. The riot control robot's developers anticipate their robots could be instrumental with crushing public dissent.
China Debuts Anbot, The Police Robot

We Never Know

No Slack
For the interest of public safety as well as maintaining law and order, a Chinese University has developed a riot control robot capable of administering electric shocks to nearby rioters. The riot control robot's developers anticipate their robots could be instrumental with crushing public dissent.
China Debuts Anbot, The Police Robot

Here's one thing I don't understand...
With the capital riot's the are arresting anyone that can be identified by video, pictures, etc.

During riot's where they looted and burned stores there were many seen in videos and pictures carrying items out of stores, destroying and burning things. They have them on video and pitcures too so why not go arrest them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The poll is problematic because a "frivolous stop" is not explained. Was the stop in Brooklyn Center frivolous? No, an expired tag is not a frivolous stop. And traffic stops are how quite a few dangerous criminals are arrested. Felons that do not respect the laws when it involves other people are also much less likely to obey traffic laws. A person on the run is not apt to go to his regular known haunts. Daunte appears to have been on the run from the law. If one eliminates such stops it will be only that much harder for justice to be served.

I disagree that an expired tag is not a frivolous stop. There are far more important crimes for the police to deal with.

The problem is that most of these tragedies started out as something minor and blew up into something bigger because the cops have no sense of proportion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow! I do believe that you have a highly biased opinion about police. I have not had that sort of problem from police for the few times that I have been pulled over. I am not sure how quickly records show up, but if an officer knows that someone is a frequent offender or if the onboard computer alerts them of that it is not unreasonable for them to "come down hard" on those people.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one who has been critical of the police lately.

In my opinion, the best way to lessen the chance of these kinds of shootings taking place is by reining in the police in specific terms.