• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downgrading my cellphone

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
For some time i been thinking of downgrading my use of cellphone, and now I think I found the one I could think of getting :) So going from a Samsung Galaxy A20e I am now thinking of a Nokia 2720 flip cellphone.

nokia-2720-flip-mobiltelefon-sort.jpg

Because I want to spend time actually looking around when I am outdoor instead of having my eyes pointed at the screen of the phone (internet) when I am away from home. And yes it also has to do with my minimalistic lifestyle.

The thought of, "I do not need the big expensive gadgets" has become very strong within me.

Any thoughts?
I remember the days when a phone used to be just that.

A phone.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am thinking of making a project for my self and I will call it.

"What can I live without when it comes to daily life"

The project will hopefully show me what I can remove from my life in form of digital gadgets, unused objects I still own. And see If i am able to safely live with a minimum of objects in my life.

What I will be needing is of course food, some money, and clothes. But what else would I be able to remove myself away from.

If i realize after a short time, i can not remove it from my life, i will take it back so i can live safely and still be a minimalist :)
I'm one of only 11 Canadians (approximately) who hasn't got any TV at all -- let alone cable or satellite. Haven't had one for over 10 years now. Don't miss it in the least.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For some time i been thinking of downgrading my use of cellphone, and now I think I found the one I could think of getting :) So going from a Samsung Galaxy A20e I am now thinking of a Nokia 2720 flip cellphone.

Because I want to spend time actually looking around when I am outdoor instead of having my eyes pointed at the screen of the phone (internet) when I am away from home. And yes it also has to do with my minimalistic lifestyle.

The thought of, "I do not need the big expensive gadgets" has become very strong within me.

Any thoughts?

Can't let go of a cell phone completely? :cool:

Sometimes I think it would be nice to completely disconnect from the news cycles at least.

But I think it becomes an addiction. We start to crave the stimulus of the biochemical/physical responses it causes within us.
We become information junkies.
Such a choice is the closest an individual can come to an act of free will, imo.
Good luck.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
Yes, you could downgrade further and use smoke signals, instead. Something truly minimalistic. :)

ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Any thoughts?

I wanted to do that but I need my phone for the internet for work.

But I get what you mean. Minimalism.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Do it! Then we can start the 'Flip Phone Cool Kids Club'!

Well, maybe... I just want a membership card for somewhere...:oops:

I have a flip phone, and I love it. You can throw it, stomp on it, drop it, even bend it a few times, and it holds up fine.

Just don't take it in the lake with you. That won't work as well. :oops:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Any thoughts?
Last June I switched from Verizon to xfinitymobile to save money on my monthly bill which was $68. Now it is only $18 but it was a real hassle to switch and took a long time to port over the phone numbers my husband and I had. Two free iPhones came with the deal but I have not used them. I need to get the phone numbers activated and I cannot do that over the phone, so I have to go to the xfinitymobile store and I have them do it for me. I have no interest in figuring out how to use an iPhone so I am going to try to find out if they can reactivate our old Samsung phones.

Meanwhile, we have no cell phones that are operational but I normally use a land line. I would only need a cell phone if I go out and have to call someone but that is rare.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can't let go of a cell phone completely? :cool:

Sometimes I think it would be nice to completely disconnect from the news cycles at least.

But I think it becomes an addiction. We start to crave the stimulus of the biochemical/physical responses it causes within us.
We become information junkies.
Such a choice is the closest an individual can come to an act of free will, imo.
Good luck.
Because of how things are here in Norway when it come to how governmental offices should be able to contact me I can not let go of a phone fully, but I do wish I could :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do it! Then we can start the 'Flip Phone Cool Kids Club'!

Well, maybe... I just want a membership card for somewhere...:oops:

I have a flip phone, and I love it. You can throw it, stomp on it, drop it, even bend it a few times, and it holds up fine.

Just don't take it in the lake with you. That won't work as well. :oops:
I don't think a phone work very well under water :p bad signal down there:D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One could also say there is no reason to be on a smartphone all the time because they have a computer. ;)
I do have a laptop in my home, but I do not own the laptop :) And the laptop is not going with me when I leave the home. So my "goal" is to be internet free when I leave the home

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I remember the days when a phone used to be just that.

A phone.
You remember that, and you are younger than me.

I don't use a cell phone for anything except calling and receiving calls when I am not home, but that is rare because I am home almost all the time.

I have two land line phones at home and they are corded. :D