• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dowlers1 - What is the purpose to life (Christians only plz)

Melody

keevelish said:
i wouldn't trust another man's words- he is human and has his own weaknesses. He is able to be deceived. I'd take your guidance to life from the mouth of our Creator himself- I'm sure HE would know the purpose to life- read the Bible, not a book from a guy who thinks he knows what it's all about.
If God did not want us to think, He would not have given us a brain. The bible is a great starting point, but I like to read what others have to say because it makes me look at what the bible has to say from another person's viewpoint.

I will repeat that I find Rick Warren's book an excellent resource and find it incredible that anyone would find it "deceitful". Have you actually read the book and if so, how has he deceived his readers?

P.S.

All so that the hand cannot say to the arm, "I do not need you."

Or as is otherwise unveiled in 1 Corinthians Chapter 12.
brotherjim said:
. . . Because, per above, He does not intend that we should rely upon only one witness for Truth. For example, when we are instantly born-again on or after the age we are old enough to specifically, personally receive such a Grace from Heaven when it's offered, we should afterward have the witness of "His Spirit bearing witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God." But since, for example, no doubt many Islamic fundamentalist extremists also believe via some inner witness that they are god's children, we can deduce that such a witness, by itself, is insufficient to establish Truth in the matter.
But when such an inner witness is combined with the Holy Scriptures, them telling us that Christ Jesus is the only Way to God--.
No sooner had I posted the above yesterday, than within 10 minutes or so the Lord reminded me of how the Islamic fundamentalist extremist I referred to, also considers themselves to have two witnesses to their belief that Muslims are the true children of God. For in addition to whatever inner conviction they hold, they too have a written Bible claiming Islam to be the way to God.

Hence why needed and alleged ordained is the so-called "quadrilateral" approach to Truth, it meaning of course four-sided, there being four possible, basic categories from which God can draw a witness as to whatever eternal Truth He is wanting to establish--the written Word being one possible witness.

This is why, in a large part, our Judeo-Christian Holy Bible, written over a period of appx. 1,500 years and several dozen men, containing hundreds of prophecies and foreshadows and similes of the Christ/Messiah who would one day come, was then confirmed (or so we as Christians allege, and that based in part upon the hundreds of eyewitness accounts, many of which were afterward recorded) when Jesus fulfilled those prophecies: by itself questionable by an outsider looking at it from an objective point of view, but when combined with--.

Etc., etc.

The witness I find perhaps the most compelling, is the ability for the true, committed disciple of Christ to be enabled by further Grace to unconditionally Love every human being on earth they know to exist, and in that alleged godly way whereby even the bravest and strongest and most offended among them would never consider taking the life of another for any reason whatsoever (except per the dictates and proper proceedings of civil law), much less lifting a hand in either offense or defense. (But even this has been outwardly duplicated apart from Christ's Graces in times past, perhaps by a Buddhist monk or whatever, and again why God ordained Truth be established via two or three or more witnesses.)

"There are Three that bear witness in Heaven."

"There are T(t)hree that bear witness in the earth."

". . . for in the presence of two or three witnesses. . . ."

brotherjim

Melody said:
. . . I . . . find it incredible that anyone would find it [Warren's book] "deceitful". Have you actually read the book and if so, how has he deceived his readers?
Keevelish did not say Warren's book was deceitful: he said Warren is capable of being himself deceived, which is of course true of any human being. Period (from keevelish).

And logic dictates that if a person is deceived, then their writings of course possess the same potential--these are irrefutable basic facts of life that must be the basis for any intelligent discussion.

I believe keevelish would not need to correct me if I said that he was merely stating/implying that someone cannot equate Warren's book with the Holy Bible itself, and therefore that any book other than the definately-inspired-of-God and infallible Bible has the potential to be deceiving--again fact (for the fundamentalist).

But of course any book written by a human being, secular or Christian, also has the potential of containing something, some truth, worthy of extraction. It's a matter of how much sifting is required, how much garbage must be sorted through before someone can glean something usable; and most importantly, how immune to the garbage will someone be or not be based upon its degree of potential influence, contained percentages, strength of deception, etc.

Warren's book contains sound Christian principles. The problem is, God never intended for those principles to only or even necessarily primarily be obtained via academia and instituted via flesh. They're intended to be unveiled in the spirit realm via the Holy Ghost and according to His timetable for someone's additional sanctification, and implemented only by further Grace and S(s)pirit--not flesh, "so that no flesh should glory in [God's] Presence."

That notwithstanding, just as God uses the Holy Bible to forwarn the Christian what the Holy Ghost will attempt to further manifest in their life after they receive the New Birth, so too can God use anything in like manner--but what does He prefer to use? (Rhet.)

"The flesh profits nothing," not before conversion, not after.

brotherjim

(And when something is administered to humans in concentrated form, it often has an anesthetizing effect: counterproductive.)

To whomever started this thread: thanks and God bless for not complaining about the great liberties I took here. Sincerely, brotherjim

keevelish

Brotherjim, if you still happen to come over to this thread any time, no hard feelings, i did look at the John scripture, but still hold fast to the BIble only. I still believe that a fundamentalist is sola Bible after studying it myself for 15 years as well. I know you had no way of knowing.. not to sound snotty but I am a woman (the reference you made to keevelish being a he) (hope i didn't sound snotty...)You mention a passage about 3 bearing witness- is this the NIV? If you see, the verse prior to this is missing in that bible. look in 1 John 5:7 in the King James:

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

I wonder why this is missing in the NIV... aside from that- this is not about prophetic works but about the Triune Godhead.
remember,brotherjim, in your study of God's word- personal opinion has no bearing on the truth.

Melody- if you like I can give you an article entitled An Analysis of Rick Warren's the Purpose Driven Life It might give you some scriptural insight into the way he contradicts himself many times and twists scriptures around. Don't take it as a personal attack. I am simply concerned for those people who read things without discernment.

Baerly

dowlers said:
What I am looking for is a typed answer. I don't want to click on links but i want to know is

"What is the purpose to life?"
"Is there a purpose to life?"
and
"Are religions inc. Christianity just a way of answering these questions?"

Personally I believe that there must be a purpose to life. Fulmilment of some sort. But I possibly think that way back in time people asked the questions above and found by creating something imaginary that they can believe in (such as a religion) people have given themselves a purpose to life and an answer to these questions.

Can Christians defend this without referring to the bible

Please help me. I am not here to slander, but to question

My friend,what a good question. You have basically asked the question of life itself. I want to thank you for doing such a thing. We must look to Jesus for the answere because it is he who has all the answeres we need according to (2Peter 1:3). The Purpose in life is to Glorify God and to serve others. Jesus did not come to be serve but to serve. It is in this way we please our Lord and Mankind (1Thess.4:1). Jesus gave himself,we should give of our lives in service to him (Rom.12:1,2). Jesus came that we might have life and it more abundantly (John 10:10). What we all have found is that without Jesus we are without purpose. The reason is because mankind does not know what to do for the spiritual man (Prov14:12). What your doing is standing at the door of the church and knocking. Jesus said seek and you will find,knock and it shall be opened to you (Matt. 7:7). I would be more than glad to speak with you more about this. Be sure anyone that teaches you harmonizes with the bible and it alone (2Peter 1:3). The bible says mans sins are washed away at the point of water baptism according to (Acts 22:16). If you listen to the bible it will eliminate all denominations, because they teach things that oppose bible principles. The bible says we are to speak the same thing (as the bible)
(1Cor.1:8-10) (1Peter 4:1).

No. a christian cannot do this without refering to the bible and here is why,The bible is the sword of the spirit according to (Eph.6:17). We are to put on the whole armour of God to stand against all the devil throws at us. Again remember that (2Peter 1:3) tells us that God has given to us all things pertaining to life and godliness. If you want to search out things for your self sometime please go to thepreachersfiles.com -- I realize you ask for typing and I did that. I will guarantee you this that if you look up that site with a good and honest heart ,you will not be sorry. The reason is it teaches truth, and truth cannot be refuted. I promise you that in writting. -in love Baerly

Baerly

Baerly said:
My friend,what a good question. You have basically asked the question of life itself. I want to thank you for doing such a thing. We must look to Jesus for the answere because it is he who has all the answeres we need according to (2Peter 1:3). The Purpose in life is to Glorify God and to serve others. Jesus did not come to be serve but to serve. It is in this way we please our Lord and Mankind (1Thess.4:1). Jesus gave himself,we should give of our lives in service to him (Rom.12:1,2). Jesus came that we might have life and it more abundantly (John 10:10). What we all have found is that without Jesus we are without purpose. The reason is because mankind does not know what to do for the spiritual man (Prov14:12). What your doing is standing at the door of the church and knocking. Jesus said seek and you will find,knock and it shall be opened to you (Matt. 7:7). I would be more than glad to speak with you more about this. Be sure anyone that teaches you harmonizes with the bible and it alone (2Peter 1:3). The bible says mans sins are washed away at the point of water baptism according to (Acts 22:16). If you listen to the bible it will eliminate all denominations, because they teach things that oppose bible principles. The bible says we are to speak the same thing (as the bible)
(1Cor.1:8-10) (1Peter 4:1).

No. a christian cannot do this without refering to the bible and here is why,The bible is the sword of the spirit according to (Eph.6:17). We are to put on the whole armour of God to stand against all the devil throws at us. Again remember that (2Peter 1:3) tells us that God has given to us all things pertaining to life and godliness. If you want to search out things for your self sometime please go to thepreachersfiles.com -- I realize you ask for typing and I did that. I will guarantee you this that if you look up that site with a good and honest heart ,you will not be sorry. The reason is it teaches truth, and truth cannot be refuted. I promise you that in writting. -in love Baerly

I think I am anwering my own post. I wanted to say a bit more about why the christain must use the bible to give an answere. The bible is truth according to
(John 17:17). Jesus also is called the truth,the way,the life in (John 14:6). One can only have a good foundation which cannot be shaken If you have been taught truth. One can only be saved if you have been taught truth. A perverted gospel will not save anyone (Gal.1:6-9).

Many people teach some truth,but that is not good enough.Let's suppose you did not know about snakes. And I tell you snakes crawl on the ground and their bodies are slick and they stick out their tongues.I have told you some truth. The problem with this is that I have not told you the ALL you need to know about the snake. I did not tell you that the snake can bite you.I did not tell you you may die from the bite of certain snakes. If I never tell you about the snake biting and the venom being dangerous,you will never suspect a snake could hurt or even kill you. Many teach some truth in religion. That is why so many people can be followers of so many differnt religions. in (Acts 20:27-32) the preacher said, I have not shunned to declare unto you all the council of God.....29. For I know this,that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you,not sparing the flock. 30.Also of your own selves,shall men arise,speaking perverse things to draw away disciples after them.Therefore watch,and remember that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. 32. And now brethren,I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace,which is able to build you up,and give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. Always check what anyone tells you with the bible (Acts 17:11) (John 5:39) -- in love Baerly