• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double Shravana month in calendar

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was informed by my wife that this time there will be two 'Shravana' months this year, one being an additional one ('Adhik Masa', a normal practice in Hindu calendar to add a month every two and a half years to align it with the solar year - I may not be using the correct words here). So, an additional Shravana will be a once-in-30-years event.
What would it mean for me and other members of the family? Two months without eggs or any other non-vegetarian food instead of the usual one-month break. She may leave us with this fait-accompli. Of course, we are allowed to have non-veg food outside the house. Children can go out, but we oldies normally do not do it. We order food from outside, which will not be perhaps possible in the next two months. A lesser problem for her but a big problem for me.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I was informed by my wife that this time there will be two 'Shravana' months this year, one being an additional one ('Adhik Masa', a normal practice in Hindu calendar to add a month every two and a half years to align it with the solar year - I may not be using the correct words here).

This is one reason that I like Hindu solar calendars much more than the Vikrami lunisolar calendar. There is always just one Srabon every year on the Bangla Calendar, for instance.

We order food from outside, which will not be perhaps possible in the next two months. A lesser problem for her but a big problem for me.

I’m sorry that you have to go through that this year. You certainly have my sympathies, Aupji.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is one reason that I like Hindu solar calendars much more than the Vikrami lunisolar calendar. There is always just one Srabon every year on the Bangla Calendar, for instance.
That is personal preference. No problem with any if the calendars keep time correctly. Indian Lunar calendars have worked flaw-lessly for thousands of years. The solar year is not amenable to decimal system. Actually, my preference will be for a calendar which does away with a thirty-day month and seven-day week. I am sort of tired of them. Though I am not sure what can replace it. Perhaps a 91-day quarter with an annual great day based on equinox and solstice. Seasons to be arranged into four. :)
Sure, Possible. It is just a matter of convention. The old Aryan calendar had five seasons in Central Asia. It was later made into six after coming to India.

pañcapādaṃ pitaraṃ dvādaśākṛtiṃ diva āhuḥ pare ardhe purīṣiṇam l
atheme anya upare vicakṣaṇaṃ saptacakre ṣaḷara āhurarpitam ll

They call him in the farther half of heaven the Sire five-footed, of twelve forms, wealthy in watery store.
These others say that he, God with far-seeing eyes, is mounted on the lower seven-wheeled, six-spoked car.

veda māso dhṛtavrato dvādaśa prajāvataḥ l vedā ya upajāyate ll
True to his (Varuna) holy law, he knows the twelve moons with their progeny; He knows the moon of later birth.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaskar,

Just noticing this thread. Yes, Purushottama Maasa this year commences on July 18, I believe. It is said this month is quite extremely blissful for Krishna devotees, as the Lord had given boon to this month that whosoever meticulously prays to him and offers him a ghee lamp every day this month, will reap sumptuous rewards for his efforts.

A story linked to this month (quite long) - Draupadi, in her previous birth was born to a sage called Medhawi. Unfortunately he passed away early. Therefore Draupadi did not marry early and was upset about her plight. Durvasa, the famous angry sage, visited her and told her to take faith in the upcoming Purushottama maasa and do rigorous worship that month and gain a good hubby soon. But she was too skeptical and did not trust in his words and accused the Purushottama maasa calling it 'mala maasa' (filthy-month). Lo and behold! her beauty vanished immediately and she became crooked and ugly-looking because she had blasphemed on Purushottama maasa even though the usually quick-to-react Durvasa did not curse her. After this, she is said to have done tapas (penance) to Lord Shiva who, when appearing before her, bestowed her beauty back to her. But even he could not completely reverse the reactions procured by her by her blasphemy of Purushottama maasa and thus, when she asked Lord Shiva for the boon for a husband, she said it 5 times and thus Lord Shiva bestowed her with 5 good husbands in the next birth! Thus the story goes.

Purushottama maasa is thoroughly auspicious for spiritual pursuits and is a very important month for such beginnings and for offering Sri Krishna a ghee lamp each day.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste Aup ji,

The legendary tale behind Purushottama Maasa is as much Hindu as the faith in skipping non-veg this month. Why the big smile? :cool:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That was because I was suggesting a 'hare-brained' scheme of four-season year; March to May, Vasant or Grishma; June to August, Varsha; september to November, Sharad; December to February, Shishir; aligning with equinox and solstice. Now the 91 days can be of on season day and fifteen weeks of six days each. It is just a matter of convention, nothing sacrosanct. :D

Last edited: