• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double Minded Atheist

g2perk

To believe or not to believe that is the question. There are many atheist that proclaim to Know for certain that God doesn't exist. Most of these individuals ride the coat tails of George Lemaitre and Charles Darwin as if any of these men were died hard atheist. The truth of the matter is neither one of these men denounced God. George balanced his life with God and science and Darwin instead of saying there is no God, just kept silent and stated " In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God."

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
To believe or not to believe that is the question. There are many atheist that proclaim to Know for certain that God doesn't exist. Most of these individuals ride the coat tails of George Lemaitre and Charles Darwin as if any of these men were died hard atheist. The truth of the matter is neither one of these men denounced God. George balanced his life with God and science and Darwin instead of saying there is no God, just kept silent and stated " In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God."

I don't know any atheist that knows for sure that God does not exist. Alas, my circle of friends is not statistically representative.

By the way, I am sure many people died still confiding in Apollo, Jupiter, Thor or whomever. Does that tell us anything about the reliability of their terminal breath beliefs?

Ciao

- viole

g2perk

I don't know any atheist that knows for sure that God does not exist. Alas, my circle of friends is not statistically representative.

By the way, I am sure many people died still confiding in Apollo, Jupiter, Thor or whomever. Does that tell us anything about the reliability of their terminal breath beliefs?

Ciao

- viole
No it doesn't, but it does say that a God exist. Now which God you choose to believe in is a choice only you can make. But to say there is no God is just silly to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It depends on a couple of things. I rarely meet atheists that say they know god-any god-doesn't exist. A lot of atheist focus on the abrahamic god or, if broader, an entity god. However, there is some sense of "god" there but it's not referred to as a noun.

While others, like myself, don't care about Darwin and Lemaitre. I know god doesn't exist because I've noticed everything about god is in one way or another a lived or believed concept of the human wants/needs/ and other psyche, motivations, et cetera. When I approach any person Hindu, Christian, whoever, of what or who god is, there is always a "beyond, above, mystery, etc" type of answer. When I read in scriptures regardless the religion it's more of how people defined god according to their culture and wants/needs.

Nothing about god's definition and nature of existence is external to human thought (regardless of time period).

If this is wrong, well, I haven't came across a person who told me anything foreign of the universe.

Unless someone can give me a characteristic of god that isn't part of any human characteristic or something we want as a characteristic, how can one say god does exist? By default, he doesn't.

Of course, it depends on what you mean by god. God just means object or person of worship. I believe in many spirits but I don't worship them. So, I kind of understand it on both ends.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Do you have a point that you are getting at?
All the atheists I've met have said, in effect, I've seen no good reason to believe a god exists so there's no reason to believe one does; therefore, I don't believe any god exists. Nothing about knowing for certain. :shrug:

Ditto.

And I'm also not sure I've ever met an atheist that believes Darwin was a "died hard atheist."

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No it doesn't, but it does say that a God exist. Now which God you choose to believe in is a choice only you can make. But to say there is no God is just silly to me.

It does not say that at all. If you confuse Jupiter or the great Juju with Jesus or Thor, then whatever you believe in that area is not reliable in the slightest.

Especially, short before you die. Not exactly the time when brains can think cold and rationally. I cannot exclude that I will revert to my old religion myself. Unlikely, but possible.

Ciao

- viole

Would you say the likelyhood of your god existing is equal to the likelyhood that Zeus rules Midgard(earth) from mount Olympus?

g2perk

I'm not aware of anyone who believes that Darwin was a "died hard atheist."

Do you have a point that you are getting at?

Ditto.

And I'm also not sure I've ever met an atheist that believes Darwin was a "died hard atheist."
I am just trying to figure out on what bases does non believers have to say there is no God. Is it just what they think. At least Christians have the bible.

g2perk

An atheist "knows" god doesn't exist in the sense that they believe--truly believe--that no god or gods exist.
Even people in ancient history knew there where Gods. So how can people in today's society say or think otherwise. What makes them so sure? It seems to me that no one has a definitive answer.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Even people in ancient history knew there where Gods. So how can people in today's society say or think otherwise. What makes them so sure? It seems to me that no one has a definitive answer.
People today need more convincing. They need to "see it to believe it."

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I am just trying to figure out on what bases does non believers have to say there is no God. Is it just what they think. At least Christians have the bible.

Do you expect us to have Scriptures that justify our disbelief?

Well, I can correct the situation easily:

Viole 25:32. There Is no god. Live with it.

Joking aside, I disbelieve, because

1) there is no evidence
2) there is really no evidence
3) none whatsoever

Ciao

- viole

Hawkins

Do you expect us to have Scriptures that justify our disbelief?

Well, I can correct the situation easily:

Viole 25:32. There Is no god. Live with it.

Joking aside, I disbelieve, because

1) there is no evidence
2) there is really no evidence
3) none whatsoever

Ciao

- viole

You don't even have the evidence that earth is revolving around the sun, or the existence of black holes. What's that to do with their existence?